Warburton's transfer legacy in years to come

It's been tough under Warburton and Caixinha but maybe, just maybe, those era's - if you can call them that - will stand us in good stead?

If we don't learn from those situations, on top of every thing else, we never will.

Maybe it would be better sitting now not having that victory?

Beyond daft, if you want to put the whole thing in context Warburton showed he could beat Celtic and got very little investment. Pedro got murdered and as a result got big investment and still got murdered the next season......see if you can work out the difference.

I think that there is a fairly persuasive arguement that the difference is Ronny Deila. Warburton faced perhaps the worst Celtic team I've seen since the 80s. Pedro faced a much better one.

Both Warburton and Pedro are deeply flawed managers. But they have similar records. Not sure why you are now so desperate to glorify Warburton.

I think that there is a fairly persuasive arguement that the difference is Ronny Deila. Warburton faced perhaps the worst Celtic team I've seen since the 80s. Pedro faced a much better one.

Both Warburton and Pedro are deeply flawed managers. But they have similar records. Not sure why you are now so desperate to glorify Warburton.

By saying he failed I'm glorifying Warburton? Aye ok.

There's absolutely no doubt Rodgers transformed a lot of Celtic players I'm sure there was only 2 players of a difference from the team that lost the semi to us but won 5-1 at Ibrox. Plus his initial signings gave them a step up.

What is clear is that Warburton could do the basics on the set up against Celtic and Pedro simply couldn't-a blind man could see it. It doesn't mean Warburton was brilliant it just means he could do some of the basics.

I personally don't see the records as similar at all though and I know who is clearly the better manager whatever his limitations.

By saying he failed I'm glorifying Warburton? Aye ok.

There's absolutely no doubt Rodgers transformed a lot of Celtic players I'm sure there was only 2 players of a difference from the team that lost the semi to us but won 5-1 at Ibrox. Plus his initial signings gave them a step up.

What is clear is that Warburton could do the basics on the set up against Celtic and Pedro simply couldn't-a blind man could see it. It doesn't mean Warburton was brilliant it just means he could do some of the basics.

I personally don't see the records as similar at all though and I know who is clearly the better manager whatever his limitations.

Fairly sure that our points and goals tally were very similar last year to what they were at the point Pedro departed.

Warburton's set up was never going to succeed because football teams need some defenders who can head the ball and a set up that doesn't rely on 2 slow players to cover slightly over half the pitch. It also failed because a midfield and forward array of wee guys with moderate technical and passing ability but limited strength, dribbling skill (bar MacKay) and incisiveness were not going to penetrate organised packed defences of tougher players. And that, even if they did, you need a player somewhere within 18 yards of goal who has some skill in shooting.

Caixina improved all these glaring failings massively. Unfortunately he seemed to be either a bit of a twat that the players didn't like and wouldn't play for, or someone just lacking in ability to communicate his vision. And so, in spite of a much better squad and tactics, they still failed.

Murty inherited that squad and still uses very similar tactics. But seems to be inspiring the guys in a way Caixina couldn't. His buys now are building on the understandable shortcomings in the squad.

Caixina had to rebuild the squad from scratch because it was unfit for purpose. Murty has a much better start and is able to focus on a couple of key areas.

It is hard to judge Warburton as better than Caixina when he left us in such a worse state.

Warburton inherited a worse position than Caixinha and got less money to spend. He achieved what he could in his first season and then it disintegrated. Caixinha achieved nothing and was a joke.

Neither were good enough but I can believe Warburton is a proper coach, albeit a naive one, but I never believed Caixinha understood anything about football.

Warburton's ROI is better than Caixinha's too.

Warburton inherited a worse position than Caixinha and got less money to spend. He achieved what he could in his first season and then it disintegrated. Caixinha achieved nothing and was a joke.

Neither were good enough but I can believe Warburton is a proper coach, albeit a naive one, but I never believed Caixinha understood anything about football.

ROI?

You mean how much we sold his players for compared to buying price?

You'd be better waiting till we've actually sold some.

Of either's!

Of course it was.

Warburton spent 4m ish on 25 players and for 3 players alone in Windass, Tav and Fod we could conceivably bring in 10m plus in transfer fees.

Caixinha spent 5.5m on 3 players in Pena, Cardoso and Herrera alone that we'd be doing well to get 1-2m back on combined.

I'd have to argue the OP's point that Warburton was different to Pedro in that regard. There is definitely potential for guys like Jack and Candieas and Morelos to be very good signings for us.

As has been mentioned, if you bring enough guys in then you are bound to hit the target with some of them. Whether you are the one who make them work is another matter, but the point made by the OP stands up for both Warburton and Pedro.

Of course it was.

Warburton spent 4m ish on 25 players and for 3 players alone in Windass, Tav and Fod we could conceivably bring in 10m plus in transfer fees.

Caixinha spent 5.5m on 3 players in Pena, Cardoso and Herrera alone that we'd be doing well to get 1-2m back on combined.

Talk about cherrypicking your facts :)

Pedro also signed Morelos for £1m who, if we play our cards right, could net us six or seven times that amount if not more.

Hodson, Kranjcar, MOH, Dodoo, Barton, Kiernan, Senderos, that polish keeper, Forrester.

You're bound to hit the target a few times with a shotgun approach.
I think this is a much fairer reflection of what actually happened with Warburton. A less than successful overall transfer record.

Of course it was.

25 players and the three you name are probably the only ones that were good enough. So really 22 duds how much have we lost in wages.

Warburton had a blank canvas, starting in a favourable position of playing in the Championship. He transformed us but really was found out in his second season, he replaced squad players with even more squad players, he never improved us at all from season one to two, he moved away from his comfort zone of young hungry players who really never made it anywhere, and brought in over the hill 30+ players on big wages and no resale value. Hill, Barton, Senderos, Gilks.

Pedro improved what he was left with, Murty is reaping the rewards. Windass has been transformed. He is a different player now than last season.

Had we got Mark Allen in before Pedro it could have been so much different. Look at the loans we have the now, Pedro was given Nemane, no offence but he was just not ready for us, Goss looks like he is, Allen is obviously learning.

We had no scouting system in place Pedro went with the market he knew, it was a gamble.

25 players and the three you name are probably the only ones that were good enough. So really 22 duds how much have we lost in wages.

Warburton had a blank canvas, starting in a favourable position of playing in the Championship. He transformed us but really was found out in his second season, he replaced squad players with even more squad players, he never improved us at all from season one to two, he moved away from his comfort zone of young hungry players who really never made it anywhere, and brought in over the hill 30+ players on big wages and no resale value. Hill, Barton, Senderos, Gilks.

Pedro improved what he was left with, Murty is reaping the rewards. Windass has been transformed. He is a different player now than last season.

Had we got Mark Allen in before Pedro it could have been so much different. Look at the loans we have the now, Pedro was given Nemane, no offence but he was just not ready for us, Goss looks like he is, Allen is obviously learning.

We had no scouting system in place Pedro went with the market he knew, it was a gamble.

I find this quite remarkable.

It's quite simple Warburton bought on a shoe string in comparison to Pedro and from nothing-he didn't have a Tav, Windass, Fordingham etc etc he built from scratch . You could argue easily Baron and Niko were disasters of a sort but they weren't 4M Pena/Herrera disasters that's for sure. To complain he never really upped the quality negates the fact he didn't get much cash-Pena/Herrera cost the same as his entire squad. He was bringing in players with experience to balance what he had on a shoestring.

The Allen argument doesn't hold up for me I'm tending to think Pedro sold the Pena/Herrera style signings to the board and would have been in direct dialogue with the DOF over these types of signings.

I tend to think there is anger towards Warburton because of how he left and no small amount of disappointment he couldn't do the step up. He sure had flaws, you get the vibe he was quite arrogant in a way-he certainly seems to have an overall approach to the game that has damaged him. However there were a lot of the basics of management he seemed pretty good at. For my money that open style was never going to work for us and a few of us predicted the struggle-part of that struggle was the investment. I would guarantee you a Pedro style investment would have seen a different Rangers under him.

Pedro by any measure was piss poor at just about every aspect of the game.

I find this quite remarkable.

It's quite simple Warburton bought on a shoe string in comparison to Pedro and from nothing-he didn't have a Tav, Windass, Fordingham etc etc he built from scratch . You could argue easily Baron and Niko were disasters of a sort but they weren't 4M Pena/Herrera disasters that's for sure. To complain he never really upped the quality negates the fact he didn't get much cash-Pena/Herrera cost the same as his entire squad. He was bringing in players with experience to balance what he had on a shoestring.

The Allen argument doesn't hold up for me I'm tending to think Pedro sold the Pena/Herrera style signings to the board and would have been in direct dialogue with the DOF over these types of signings.

I tend to think there is anger towards Warburton because of how he left and no small amount of disappointment he couldn't do the step up. He sure had flaws, you get the vibe he was quite arrogant in a way-he certainly seems to have an overall approach to the game that has damaged him. However there were a lot of the basics of management he seemed pretty good at. For my money that open style was never going to work for us and a few of us predicted the struggle-part of that struggle was the investment. I would guarantee you a Pedro style investment would have seen a different Rangers under him.

Pedro by any measure was piss poor at just about every aspect of the game.

Warburton bought on a shoe string to win the championship, his players were found out when they made the step up.

The stats don't lie, we were rotten, as an example Warburton had 3 goes at beating Ross County last season and failed each time, he learned nothing.

The team we had was no where near good enough and Pedro was left with this mess, not even a handful left were good enough.

It was actually JJ who recommended him.

The only decent player Pedro signed was Candeias.

I think it’s churlish to refuse Caixinha credit for Morelos.

JJ may have recommended him, but it’s still Pedro’s decision whether or not we actually sign him.

Candeias has been a great bit of business for £750k, Jack was arguably our best player before injury, Dorrans a sensible recruit.

He signed some duds (for a huge waste of money), but he made some good buys too.

It still doesn’t change the fact he wasn’t cut out to manage us, but then neither was Warburton.

Warburton bought on a shoe string to win the championship, his players were found out when they made the step up.

The stats don't lie, we were rotten, as an example Warburton had 3 goes at beating Ross County last season and failed each time, he learned nothing.

The team we had was no where near good enough and Pedro was left with this mess, not even a handful left were good enough.

Nobody's arguing it was good enough but the reality is in the investment-Pedro was allowed to spend on a different level.
The stats also reflect Pedro made less of what he inherited when it was stated from on high that it was mainly management/coaching that was missing..

Supporter's tend to know what they are looking at in transfer windows albeit you can't know how every player will adapt.

I think everyone of us acknowledges the transfer activity this season in both windows surprised us-serious cash initially and then serious numbers in.

Warburton's preseason spend was next to not very much-I get Barton was on a big wage and was a huge mistake but we weren't going out and spending the way we did.

I think it’s churlish to refuse Caixinha credit for Morelos.

JJ may have recommended him, but it’s still Pedro’s decision whether or not we actually sign him.

Candeias has been a great bit of business for £750k, Jack was arguably our best player before injury, Dorrans a sensible recruit.

He signed some duds (for a huge waste of money), but he made some good buys too.

It still doesn’t change the fact he wasn’t cut out to manage us, but then neither was Warburton.

I think Candeias has been a solid piece of business rather than a great one but it's all relative. If he were more consistent in the final ball stakes you would be looking at a 2M plus player...as it is he is unusual in that he gives you great work rate as a winger and the odd pay off but he is a key reason for all our domination we aren't damaging teams the way we could.

Nobody's arguing it was good enough but the reality is in the investment-Pedro was allowed to spend on a different level.
The stats also reflect Pedro made less of what he inherited when it was stated from on high that it was mainly management/coaching that was missing..

Supporter's tend to know what they are looking at in transfer windows albeit you can't know how every player will adapt.

I think everyone of us acknowledges the transfer activity this season in both windows surprised us-serious cash initially and then serious numbers in.

Warburton's preseason spend was next to not very much-I get Barton was on a big wage and was a huge mistake but we weren't going out and spending the way we did.

You have made your mind up that Pena and Herrera were costly failures. You continually make reference to only these two ignoring the signings of the likes of Candeias. Pedro was able to attract established respected internationalists some at a cost. Twenty years ago we looked down our nose at signings that were under the £2million or so we spent on Pena.

Herrera will leave having not had a chance, with a decent goals per minutes played. Have we lost a game he has started ? I know we have only lost one game that we weren't already been behind in when he has come on. Remember Morelos got hooked out in Luxembourg as he was honking, he only got back in the team when Herrera picked up a knock when we won away to Motherwell at the start of the season and didn't look back, although he should have been dropped when he went through his barren spell. Murty clearly doesn't fancy him.

Pena is out on loan, he came not match fit but before he left Pedro had started using him more, even under Murty we played some of our best football we had this season with him in the team.

You have made your mind up that Pena and Herrera were costly failures. You continually make reference to only these two ignoring the signings of the likes of Candeias. Pedro was able to attract established respected internationalists some at a cost. Twenty years ago we looked down our nose at signings that were under the £2million or so we spent on Pena.

Herrera will leave having not had a chance, with a decent goals per minutes played. Have we lost a game he has started ? I know we have only lost one game that we weren't already been behind in when he has come on. Remember Morelos got hooked out in Luxembourg as he was honking, he only got back in the team when Herrera picked up a knock when we won away to Motherwell at the start of the season and didn't look back, although he should have been dropped when he went through his barren spell. Murty clearly doesn't fancy him.

Pena is out on loan, he came not match fit but before he left Pedro had started using him more, even under Murty we played some of our best football we had this season with him in the team.

The repeat answer to this nonsense and it is nonsense that never in the history of the club has a section of the support tried so lamely to defend players who have been well below what we need and we paid a small fortune for them.

Murty is playing Candeias because he knows he can do a job-Herrera has fell out the picture because he offers nothing. Pena's career fell off a cliff and we've paid him a small fortune as a reward.

To even compare Morelos who is a boy in comparison to Herrera and Pena shows how far you are having to go to try and draw comparisons but the fatal flaw is that he has improved greatly-why? Because he has some talent and clearly works hard-in the case of the Mexicans each has one aspect and not the other.

I didn't make these guys flops by slagging them on here but they made themselves flops by their performances-at no stage as Herrera looked much of a player-to say he hasn't had a chance is daft.

The whole Pena/Herrera argument seems to be they never got a chance but even Pedro couldn't play them.

At some stage you have to recognise these guys were really bad signings for a raft of reasons and they have hurt the rebuilding job pretty badly actually.

The repeat answer to this nonsense and it is nonsense that never in the history of the club has a section of the support tried so lamely to defend players who have been well below what we need and we paid a small fortune for them.

Murty is playing Candeias because he knows he can do a job-Herrera has fell out the picture because he offers nothing. Pena's career fell off a cliff and we've paid him a small fortune as a reward.

To even compare Morelos who is a boy in comparison to Herrera and Pena shows how far you are having to go to try and draw comparisons but the fatal flaw is that he has improved greatly-why? Because he has some talent and clearly works hard-in the case of the Mexicans each has one aspect and not the other.

I didn't make these guys flops by slagging them on here but they made themselves flops by their performances-at no stage as Herrera looked much of a player-to say he hasn't had a chance is daft.

The whole Pena/Herrera argument seems to be they never got a chance but even Pedro couldn't play them.

At some stage you have to recognise these guys were really bad signings for a raft of reasons and they have hurt the rebuilding job pretty badly actually.

I gave up after "The"

I don't think there has been such an attention seeking poster as you on here trying to force your small minded opinions on everyone else.

You try beat other posters into submission by writing screeds and screeds but in reality it's just blah blah blah.

Don't be a dick all your life, take at least one day off.

I gave up after "The"

I don't think there has been such an attention seeking poster as you on here trying to force your small minded opinions on everyone else.

You try beat other posters into submission by writing screeds and screeds but in reality it's just blah blah blah.

Don't be a dick all your life, take at least one day off.

You always know you won the argument when the personal cliches are released.....

So Pena (probably) isn't very good. And Herrera doesn't suit our team. That's 2. Then there were Nemane and Dalcio, 2 cheap loans. Apart from that, every Caixina signing has been successful to a greater or lesser degree. And he improved the performances of several Warburton players by playing a proper system. They have improved further under Murty who they actually play for.

Warburton signed Wes, Tav Windass and Holt who have been successful to in the SPL (albeit not under Warburton). And Halliday and Waghorn who were barely passable. Every other player was a dud. And some were very expensive duds.

Why do you give him such a pass for such a poor return? Lack of funds is not the answer. He was given virtually every player he sought. Would you prefer Morelos or Garner for similar prices? Candeias or MOH with the latter being more expensive?

It is very strange that you defend the legacy of a guy based on players who only came onto a game under other managers. If a £500k bid had come in for Windass or Tav last January, would you have thought it was a good deal?

You also keep going on about stats proving your point. Look at the league tables at the point Pedro left. Our record at the same time under Warburton was near identical. But, when he left, Pedro had to sign an entire new team. Murty doesn't. He's building on a much stronger foundation.

You never seem happy unless you are moaning about some aspect of us. I remember you going on about how we'd never be able to compete with Celtic even when they were under Deila. And before that how King and co should stop fighting the wigs and co-operate with them. At least you are consistent in being incorrect in your judgements

So Pena (probably) isn't very good. And Herrera doesn't suit our team. That's 2. Then there were Nemane and Dalcio, 2 cheap loans. Apart from that, every Caixina signing has been successful to a greater or lesser degree. And he improved the performances of several Warburton players by playing a proper system. They have improved further under Murty who they actually play for.

Warburton signed Wes, Tav Windass and Holt who have been successful to in the SPL (albeit not under Warburton). And Halliday and Waghorn who were barely passable. Every other player was a dud. And some were very expensive duds.

Why do you give him such a pass for such a poor return? Lack of funds is not the answer. He was given virtually every player he sought. Would you prefer Morelos or Garner for similar prices? Candeias or MOH with the latter being more expensive?

It is very strange that you defend the legacy of a guy based on players who only came onto a game under other managers. If a £500k bid had come in for Windass or Tav last January, would you have thought it was a good deal?

You also keep going on about stats proving your point. Look at the league tables at the point Pedro left. Our record at the same time under Warburton was near identical. But, when he left, Pedro had to sign an entire new team. Murty doesn't. He's building on a much stronger foundation.

You never seem happy unless you are moaning about some aspect of us. I remember you going on about how we'd never be able to compete with Celtic even when they were under Deila. And before that how King and co should stop fighting the wigs and co-operate with them. At least you are consistent in being incorrect in your judgements

Cardoso has flopped at 1.2M or whatever it was.

I've always rated Tav and Windass is flawed but an absolute steal at 60K. You simply have to recognise MW signed a lot of players for the cost of Pena,Herrera and Cardoso-it's not even a debate.

Who were his very expensive duds? MOH and Garner didn't deliver but we got a fair % back on Garner-will we get that back on the Mexicans?

I'm not defending his legacy-he failed in the role, made mistakes but he is simply not the scale of disaster Pedro was because overall his spend will be met by profit when players leave-that won't happen with Pedro's signings.

It's funny that entire new team Pedro bought actually had more Warburton players in it the other night-you are talking nonsense.

As for King he did negotiate with the Easdales et al-that was the gig-yes he got in and I give all the credit to the board but the reality is they face a tough task and King's "takevover" is under scrutiny....as for not catching Celtic-we've beat them once-in a result the Warburton haters will talk down-do we look like catching them soon? No we don't.

Cardoso has flopped at 1.2M or whatever it was.

I've always rated Tav and Windass is flawed but an absolute steal at 60K. You simply have to recognise MW signed a lot of players for the cost of Pena,Herrera and Cardoso-it's not even a debate.

Who were his very expensive duds? MOH and Garner didn't deliver but we got a fair % back on Garner-will we get that back on the Mexicans?

I'm not defending his legacy-he failed in the role, made mistakes but he is simply not the scale of disaster Pedro was because overall his spend will be met by profit when players leave-that won't happen with Pedro's signings.

It's funny that entire new team Pedro bought actually had more Warburton players in it the other night-you are talking nonsense.

As for King he did negotiate with the Easdales et al-that was the gig-yes he got in and I give all the credit to the board but the reality is they face a tough task and King's "takevover" is under scrutiny....as for not catching Celtic-we've beat them once-in a result the Warburton haters will talk down-do we look like catching them soon? No we don't.

You think Pedro's spend won't be met with profit? I think Morelos alone will compensate for his spend. And Warburton's players will only compensate for his duds under better managers.

King negotiated a compromise with the wigs in the takeover? Aye right.... you'd be marginally more convincing if you admitted when you completely ballsed things up. Do feel free to tell us your concerns about what the bears and King did.

As for catching Celtic being the impossibility you claimed... you disappeared for a while after the Warburton result against a really weak Celtic if I remember right. And then what do you make of the last game where Pedro's team under Murty's management played a strong Celtic off the park?

Last edited:
As usual with FF the usual suspects fail to see the middle ground.

Warburton -
Hit the ground running, with a young, exciting team playing attractive, free flowing football. A style of football I haven’t seen rangers play, probably ever before.

In hindsight, the warning signs about his tactical nous were there from the beginning. Bringing his cronies into it and changing his transfer policy didn’t help matters either. But I will remember that first season fondly because it was an absolute breath of fresh air, coupled with regime change at boardroom level. A far cry from what we were the 3 previous seasons. We were on deaths door.

He refused arrogantly to change and ultimately I think his real station should be as a first team coach rather than a manager. And of course he totally ratted us alongside Davie but hope I one day see past what DW did because I loved him as a player.

As others have said, the first transfer window was a roaring success. Holt for 65k, Wilson for free, Foderingham for free, Tav and Waghorn for 200k combined. Halliday free. All decent players and all are/were capable of being true rangers squad players at the very least. The last good signing he made was Windass for 60k who has serious potential too. The latter two transfer windows were an absolute shambles due to his changed policy and McParland

Pedro -
Someone I’d rather forget to be honest. Got lucky with a few signings, didn’t really seem to implement much of a style of football and had some horrendous results as manager. Those who get pass marks for me are Candeias, Morelos, Jack, Dorrans and Alves. Cardoso still in with a shout. However, the signing of Dalcio, Nemane, Herrera and Pena have been disastrous and costly.

Reasons for Optimism -
The cream of the crop from both these managers transfer dealings, as well as Murtys signings, along with a bit of our own youth, has lead to what I see as the first ‘Rangers team’ we have had since Admin. Many of these players have been put through the ringer and many leaders are emerging in that team, as well as boys with plenty of talent.

I truly believe we are now at a point where this team is worthy of being named a rangers team. We’ve got good people in charge, fan ownership stronger than ever, the club is making improvements all over and on the pitch and we look likely to be in a title challenge for the foreseeable seasons should we build on this platform.

Three years ago I think was the lowest ebb for most of us as Rangers supporters. The vultures were circling and our club was being deliberately ran into the ground by shysters, and we looked doomed in the championship with a managerial crisis and shit players. Crowds were dwindling due to boycotts and stay aways, Our infrastructure was crumbling and we were haemorrhaging money.

Fast forward to 2018, and we are perhaps about to mount a title challenge in the premier league against Celtic after a long and painful absence. Our Youth programme is perhaps the best it has ever been, and is definitely the best in Scotland as it stands, competing with the likes of Bayern Munich and Man Utd. Ibrox and it’s surroundings are being upgraded continually and gradually. Auchenhowie is being upgraded continually and gradually. Our club is being run well by rangers men at the helm (they aren’t perfect, not by any means) and the club is in a far better place financially. And last of all the fans are as loyal as ever and we now hold an extremely significant stake in our club, something that seemed a pipe dream a matter of years ago.

We are a club continually on the up. If you look at the big picture and what Kingco said three years ago, we knew there would be bumps in the road. Rebuilding a club of our size to the magnitude and respect it demanded 7 years ago was never going to be easy after all that happened. It’s only a matter of time until 55 and I truly believe that day will rival any in our proud history.

Please look at the bigger picture folks.

As usual with FF the usual suspects fail to see the middle ground.

Warburton -
Hit the ground running, with a young, exciting team playing attractive, free flowing football. A style of football I haven’t seen rangers play, probably ever before.

In hindsight, the warning signs about his tactical nous were there from the beginning. Bringing his cronies into it and changing his transfer policy didn’t help matters either. But I will remember that first season fondly because it was an absolute breath of fresh air, coupled with regime change at boardroom level. A far cry from what we were the 3 previous seasons. We were on deaths door.

He refused arrogantly to change and ultimately I think his real station should be as a first team coach rather than a manager. And of course he totally ratted us alongside Davie but hope I one day see past what DW did because I loved him as a player.

As others have said, the first transfer window was a roaring success. Holt for 65k, Wilson for free, Foderingham for free, Tav and Waghorn for 200k combined. Halliday free. All decent players and all are/were capable of being true rangers squad players at the very least. The last good signing he made was Windass for 60k who has serious potential too. The latter two transfer windows were an absolute shambles due to his changed policy and McParland

Pedro -
Someone I’d rather forget to be honest. Got lucky with a few signings, didn’t really seem to implement much of a style of football and had some horrendous results as manager. Those who get pass marks for me are Candeias, Morelos, Jack, Dorrans and Alves. Cardoso still in with a shout. However, the signing of Dalcio, Nemane, Herrera and Pena have been disastrous and costly.

Reasons for Optimism -
The cream of the crop from both these managers transfer dealings, as well as Murtys signings, along with a bit of our own youth, has lead to what I see as the first ‘Rangers team’ we have had since Admin. Many of these players have been put through the ringer and many leaders are emerging in that team, as well as boys with plenty of talent.

I truly believe we are now at a point where this team is worthy of being named a rangers team. We’ve got good people in charge, fan ownership stronger than ever, the club is making improvements all over and on the pitch and we look likely to be in a title challenge for the foreseeable seasons should we build on this platform.

Three years ago I think was the lowest ebb for most of us as Rangers supporters. The vultures were circling and our club was being deliberately ran into the ground by shysters, and we looked doomed in the championship with a managerial crisis and shit players. Crowds were dwindling due to boycotts and stay aways, Our infrastructure was crumbling and we were haemorrhaging money.

Fast forward to 2018, and we are perhaps about to mount a title challenge in the premier league against Celtic after a long and painful absence. Our Youth programme is perhaps the best it has ever been, and is definitely the best in Scotland as it stands, competing with the likes of Bayern Munich and Man Utd. Ibrox and it’s surroundings are being upgraded continually and gradually. Auchenhowie is being upgraded continually and gradually. Our club is being run well by rangers men at the helm (they aren’t perfect, not by any means) and the club is in a far better place financially. And last of all the fans are as loyal as ever and we now hold an extremely significant stake in our club, something that seemed a pipe dream a matter of years ago.

We are a club continually on the up. If you look at the big picture and what Kingco said three years ago, we knew there would be bumps in the road. Rebuilding a club of our size to the magnitude and respect it demanded 7 years ago was never going to be easy after all that happened. It’s only a matter of time until 55 and I truly believe that day will rival any in our proud history.

Please look at the bigger picture folks.

I think we have to put Warburton's era into perspective. He was playing in the Championship and followed the most incompetent Manager we have ever had.

The football was a breath of fresh air compared to what we had been forced to suffer through the McCoist years, but remember the opposition we were facing.

However the bigger picture was the league results when we returned to the SPL were simply not good enough, the majority of his signings were no where near the standard needed.

He may not have spent a lot of money but he left us with a sizeable squad of squad players with lengthy contracts and there is no way the majority of the players not good enough came on small wages and no signing on fees.

We lost money in transfers of Kiernan, Crooks and Garner.

the following list have cost us a pretty penny with the chance of recouping the outlay for those still here as slim to nil.

Gostomski, Gilks, Hodson, Senderos, Halliday, Kranjcar, O'Halloran, Dodoo, Forrester, Hill, Barton,

Warburton signed 25 players, 3 of them may or not be first team starters when everyone is fit.

I think we have to put Warburton's era into perspective. He was playing in the Championship and followed the most incompetent Manager we have ever had.

The football was a breath of fresh air compared to what we had been forced to suffer through the McCoist years, but remember the opposition we were facing.

However the bigger picture was the league results when we returned to the SPL were simply not good enough, the majority of his signings were no where near the standard needed.

He may not have spent a lot of money but he left us with a sizeable squad of squad players with lengthy contracts and there is no way the majority of the players not good enough came on small wages and no signing on fees.

We lost money in transfers of Kiernan, Crooks and Garner.

the following list have cost us a pretty penny with the chance of recouping the outlay for those still here as slim to nil.

Gostomski, Gilks, Hodson, Senderos, Halliday, Kranjcar, O'Halloran, Dodoo, Forrester, Hill, Barton,

Warburton signed 25 players, 3 of them may or not be first team starters when everyone is fit.

Yep. And, of the remainder, 1 at most would make the bench (Holt). Pedro signed 8 players and loaned 2 I think and brought McCrorie into the team. Of them, at least 4 would start in our strongest 11 (Morelos, Candeias, McCrorie and 1 of Alves, Dorrans or Jack depending who you ask) and 3 would make the bench, the other 2 of the last list plus Cardoso.

Warburton left us with a system that didn't work and a squad of players who didn't fit together at all. Pedro couldn't inspire players to save himself and was clearly an awful man manager. But had a system that functioned and players who fitted it. Murty had to buy a left winger as Pedro hadn't managed to do that. But otherwise our purchases have been building on a structure that was already in place and focussing on key upgrades. That's what we need to do going forwards.

It is very odd to see folk defending Warburton's tactical nous based on the performances of his players when they are deployed under the tactics of other managers after they had looked awful under his tactics. Warburton's initial buys looked good (exhausting his knowledge of stalled youth players in our price range) and his football style was a breath of fresh air blowing away lesser opposition after the turgid mess of before. But that style was quickly found out and was inadequate against not only better SPL opposition but even against many lesser teams in the second half of the season once they figured out that pressing us and lumping long balls between our defenders worked. I'll thank him for a few glorious months but it ultimately came to nothing and, for all his rightful malignment on here, our future owes much more to the stronger backbone and more functional structure that Pedro brought in. He was an awful manager who couldn't make it work but Murty is using the same building blocks to take us forward again. Our team shape now owes nothing to Warburton's failed experiment.

I wasn't a fan of Warburton when he left.I think he is naive and his overall approach flawed as manager.We all knew what was coming when he joined Forest in terms of pass pass pass to no effect,poor from set pieces,dominating the game without scoring and failure to learn from mistakes

When he left.I was also of the view.His transfer policy had been pretty disastrous and we'd been sold a pup that Frank Mcparland was some kind of guru(Allen is streets ahead of him)

But here's the twist.. I have come to the view in the past few weeks.Unlike Pedro who looks worse and worse in hindsight.Warburton might go from looking like he'd leave no legacy at all in the transfer market at all to leaving something that might be up for debate in the pub in 10 years time and improve in hindsight.Some of his signings are starting to bloom.Warburton might of been better sticking with youth development.

Wes
Tav
Windass ..

Warburton signings.the three of them collectively are gonna net us a very tidy sum from nothing..10 million pounds of talent easy. Murty will achieve far in the transfer market but it's not nothing as a legacy when they are part of 55 and bring in healthy transfer fee's.

Bates will be heart of our defence for years to come aswell.As with John Greig signing Ally.You don't need to be a top manager to leave a legacy.
Rossiter has big potential

There was five Warburton signings in the team last night and i don't think it's a stretch to say in 18 months time if we win 55. Wes/tav/Windass/bates/Holt/Rossiter will play parts.

Warburton's legacy in the transfer market is still correctly very tainted but it could look slightly different in years to come.
Don’t forget Cummings,if Warburton hadn’t
taken him to Forest,he would never have
ended up at Ibrox.

Warburton -

Even now people are still OTT about that first season under Warburton, IMO.

Yes the football was great to watch - well, at least for the first couple of months - but it shouldn’t need stressed that we were playing in the second tier of Scottish football with the most expensively assembled squad in the history of the division.

That’s why it looked so good.
The minute teams started setting up to counter us or we faced better organised sides, the silky, flowing football quickly started to look a lot less incisive.

The year in the Championship was a honeymoon season for Warburton. To have failed to gain promotion would have been unthinkable. It was the minimum requirement.

The real test of his abilities as a manager was always going to be our first season back in the top flight and he failed massively.

Would he have fared better had he the £8m Pedro received to spend?

Quite possibly, but it would still have fallen short of where we ultimately want to be because the guy couldn’t set up a defence if his life depended on it and appeared incapable or unwilling of deviating from the one trick mono tactic he read in a book somewhere.

(PS: I should add that I thought the rest of your post was largely spot on though) ;)

Back