Was complacency our downfall last night?

kennymac

Lots of Bears predicting 3 and 4-0 wins last night.
Did going top of the league give us a false sense of superiority?

Does this rub off on the team, who played like all they had to do was turn up to win, and were out worked, outfoxed and overall lethargic?

The lack of commitment, and the abscence of any imagination was as plain as the nose on your face.

Maybe. They came for a draw and stole a win. Played the same way at the cup game. We should have been 100mph, pressing them hard and laying a marker down. Disappointed in the performance.

It's 2 separate issues really. The support is a bit bipolar, a couple of good results and we're world beaters. A couple of bad ones and the whole team is shit and Gerrard is getting questioned.

The support being like that shouldn't affect the team though. But I do agree it looked like all they thought they had to do was turn up and they would win. I would like to think that it was a one off, a boot up the arse but sadly I don't think it was. Our inconsistency will be our downfall this season.

Does this rub off on the team, who played like all they had to do was turn up to win, and were out worked, outfoxed and overall lethargic?

The lack of commitment, and the abscence of any imagination was as plain as the nose on your face.

If there is any substance in this, then it shows a real lack of professionalism from the players.

That was a concern of mine last night. The way we celebrated at the end of the Hearts game is great, but it has to be backed up in the very next game and complacency maybe did creep into us last night.

It's lack of experience with this team.

Like most of our problems, this can be solved by winning football matches, lots of them. Catch 22.

The support are only up and down the way we are, because there is only two clubs in this country that should be winning most of the time. The pressure is constant on the fan's from the media, not just the fan's themselves that cause the up and down feelings.We will get their trust me a wee bit of more patience needed

Maybe. They came for a draw and stole a win. Played the same way at the cup game. We should have been 100mph, pressing them hard and laying a marker down. Disappointed in the performance.

It's a tough ask to play a high pressing , 100mph game in your third game in 6 days.
I just think we were flat all over the park.

I expected us to come out all guns blazing last night and blow them away! We started well enough and at a decent pace. When they scored our players allowed themselves to be dragged down to their gameplan with fouls and breaking up the play. They played a tight marking game and we stopped playing our game! We continually passed the ball across the halfway line as we had no forward ball open due to their tight play and our lack of ideas on how to open up space. We are relying on a 21 year old in the middle of the park to make things happen. He might be a decent player, but his experience is limited. We need an older head in the middle that can organise and run a team.

We looked very tired, everyones touch was off, we had strange tactics with 6 or 7 players all standing in a line uptop
like we were trying to score a goal in the last 30 seconds of play, nobody dropping off to pull out defenders , they defended very well and man marked us which we did not like.

Last edited:
We looked very tired, everyones touch was off, we had strange tactics with 6 or 7 layers all standing in a line uptop
Like we were trying to score a goal in the last 30 seconds of play. nobody dropping off to pull out defenders , they defended very well and man marked us which we did not like.
with no one moving into the box to receive the ball.

I would say it was consistency on both sides.

For what I heard the League cup final was 1 0 going on 4 0

If Aberdeen battled and defended as if their lives depended on it as they did at Ibrox last night when backs were against the wall on Sunday then we might as well give up.

Looking back at the wild hysterical scenes after their injury time equalizer against a 10 men Rangers at the first game I suggest they didnt.

Hell if they did then they mightve won a cup instead of 3 points at Ibrox.

I know what I wouldve wanted but hey I'm not a sheepshagger.

to end it all the bucks stops at the Gaffer and the team an opportunity lost.

It's a tough ask to play a high pressing , 100mph game in your third game in 6 days.
I just think we were flat all over the park.
It is a tough ask, I should have also said start the game with that tempo kill it off and then slow it down like we did against Hearts at Ibrox.

I don’t know what it was but I sat watching the warm-up and thought it looked surprisingly slow and most of the players were disinterested. Some of the finishing in the shooting drills was horrendous also. It just looked like the players couldn’t be bothered.

The fans who feel like last night's result has turned their stomach, sent their rage through the roof, have to think about whether they were gloating and swaggering about because we were top of the league. If they were, then more fool them.
Every single game is difficult, every team tries their best, we can't just turn up.
So yes complacency from a lot of fans I think to underestimate a crap Aberdeen team who never give up against us, stay organised and fight for every ball, they did well to frustrate us.
I'd say that they brilliantly defended against a woeful attack.
Our players I think are to blame, but I think it's inexperience and immaturity for a lot of them.
So yes I think some if the players were complacent, or frightened last night.

That was a concern of mine last night. The way we celebrated at the end of the Hearts game is great, but it has to be backed up in the very next game and complacency maybe did creep into us last night.

I thought it was over the top. All fine if you can back it up but we haven’t for years and last night was an old movie for a game we had to win with a bit of pressure on.

The players have got to realise that in every game you’ve got to win individual battles to win a game. Show them videos of Laudrup , McCoist, Fergusson et al. These players gave 100% every game to get the trophies and titles for the club.

It's 2 separate issues really. The support is a bit bipolar, a couple of good results and we're world beaters. A couple of bad ones and the whole team is shit and Gerrard is getting questioned.

The support being like that shouldn't affect the team though. But I do agree it looked like all they thought they had to do was turn up and they would win. I would like to think that it was a one off, a boot up the arse but sadly I don't think it was. Our inconsistency will be our downfall this season.
i stated the other night about sundays result,being the turning point in our season(sadly wrong)the way the players manager and back room staff emotionally celebrated,like them i thought tynecastle was going to be our toughest game,apart from,hivs away and them!but what a chance to build momentum before those games,then we blow it,only bright point was them losing points,i now feel we wont be bringing 55 home this season,but we have so much to build on,and im convinced mr G is the man,however they have atough one v killie saturday,and were away to a changing dundee side,i agree our support is a bit bipolar and your sentence,think most expect a little too much for this season,but follow follow we will !

last night was further proof that we can’t break teams down who sit in. We are a better counter attacking team. We lack the killer pass and composure to open teams up when they get behind ball. Sheep getting early goal was our worst scenario.

I have no qualms about getting beat as we have no god given right to win every game.

The manner of the defeat was more my concern. Lackluster and clueless in the face of a well drilled Aberdeen team who fought for every ball as though their life depended on it. The players collectively let us down badly. We had 73 minutes to salvage a result and failed to do so and never looked like scoring.

No our downfall last night was our midfield,we had no one with creative spark to break down 10 men!
We must address this in January

In my view the real issue is we started with 3 number 6 type midfielders and couldn't pass through their man marking system.

You saw it against hearts at the weekend, the pressed us high and we didn't have the ability to play through it, so we were pinned back first 30.

Where as at hearts we went direct into Morelos and got joy out of it, last night we had nobody anywhere near him. Two wingers hugging the touchline and no-one running high through the middle to help him.

Basically, if we had good midfielders we pass through them. We don't, so our long strategy needs to be better.

In terms of strategy, I would ask why did we set up to play with two orthodox wingers with the idea, presumably, being crossing balls into the box. Morelos is winning %^*& all headers against they CB.

A shambles last night.

With mediocre players it's a mindset.They work hard to get to the top of the league or a semi final or final.Then the mindset kicks in ,they think they've "arrived" they get arrogant lazy,slack,careless .Things start to go wrong and they hide,and they go back to square one.Its the reason most of the team have won nothing in their careers and probably never will.They are mediocre.Champions are Champions for a reason.

I admit I was one of them,but it wasn't anything to do with us going top,I'm under no illusions about that,more to do with the shot in the arm it should've given us. I think Stevie really has to get them told of the demands of pulling on that jersey,he did touch on it in his post match. I'm gutted,especially with them dropping points.

I don't think there was any complacency last night, it looked to me too many players were having a bad day at the office. Can't even blame fitness as they looked fit, just didn't gel on the night, our consistency needs sorted.

We just seem devoid of ideas all over park with non one taking control or responsibility. we can accept defeat if the players tried to create chances but didn't work last night

We struggle against disciplined physical teams.

There's arguably no excuse , SG knew exactly how Aberdeen would play against us after the cup semi.

I expected after all the celebrations following the game on Sunday for us to go right out and beat them convincingly. If for nothing else not to look really daft after giving it large at Tynecastle when we won.

Feeling that high after a game really should never be followed by what we saw last night. Said it at the time, maybe tone down the celebrations after winning a big game until we are sure we can deliver on the very next one.

By tone down the celebrations I mean the players, not the fans. The fans were entitled to be that way after all we have been there through the past 8 years and deserved it.

We have struggled against teams that sit in all season we literally have no idea what to do with it.

And the main problem is it stems from a weak midfield that lacks a killer pass.

I dont think it was complacency.

I don’t think it was complaceny either, my honest opinion is we are not as good as some on here think we are!

We didn't play well and looked tired physically and mentally.

Wasn't help by Dolly spoiling tactics which left the game devoid of tempo and rhythm.

Had we got an equaliser it may well have lit the fire for us to go on and win the game

No. Combination of lack of quality and lack of bottle lost us the game. The amount of buck passing and lack of responsibility taking killed us last night. Safe pass after safe pass.

I don't believe complacency comes into it. Every one of them would've known what was required last night. They just couldn't produce what was necessary to beat Aberdeen. Simple as that.

We have to be asking serious questions of our midfield and their contribution, or lack of it, to our attacking game. If our only outlet is wing play then we're going to struggle against teams like Aberdeen, and that seems to be the case. We need more, much more. Coulibaly is stealing a starting place ahead of McCrorie, Jack offers nothing going forward and Ejaria , despite his talent, can't travel with the ball. We badly need to be mixing up our play and pulling opposing players out of position.

Its just our luck aswell the Tims slipped up, good on one hand that they only made up a point but from our point of view its a huge chance to press on.

Really really depressed today after that

Don't think its complacency. Just a serious lack of quality going forward so we are unable to break teams down when they defend. Or take our chances when the game is tight.

Don't think there's just 1 cause for our display?
I would hazard a guess that it is a combination of changes in the line up, taking them for granted and expecting an easy win and also the amount of games will start to take its toll.
to be honest I have expected us to drop points along the way but what pisses me off is the manner that we are dropping them.
I will be expecting the players to start taking on board the warnings and advice from Gerrard and show a bit more grit and hard work in breaking teams down.
Frustrating as we have players who have the capability to do this but they have to stay focussed for the entire 90 minutes and also to play clever with regards to giving fouls away needlessly which has resulted in another game where we finish with 10 men!

The team has a poor mentality , no point in getting to the top of the league to be rolled over so easily .

Our defeat had more to do with the team selection on the night and a centre forward who was not wise enough to avoid a second yellow card.

Anyone with a brain didn't expect us to absolutely hammer Aberdeen. 4/5-0 predictions are laughable.

Unnecessary changes, players off form, pressure of being on top spot, conceded an early goal and there is your game plan out the window. The opposition also know how to play us, they remained stubborn, disciplined, organised, scrapped for every thing and we had no answers.

One of the best captain's, leaders, inspirational footballers of his generation as manager and the players still couldn't get going. Question marks over a winning mentality rears its ugly head once again - just after I praised it for Sunday's fantastic win.

One step forward, two steps back and a massive blow to the chuckies.

The two main reasons are we are too predictable and easy to prepare to play against, secondly we do not have enough creativity or attacking ability in midfield

No, it wasn't complacency. It was a bizarre desire to play Aberdeen at their long ball game and constant fouling game. It was like when we went away to Motherwell and played them at their own pish game instead of just playing football.

Back