Was gutted for James Tavernier tonight

Looks a bit low on confidence. Perhaps it's the upgrades in the rest of the side and he is trying to stand tall amongst some big voices and characters. He has played within himself so far and hopefully as this team gels more he can play with freedom.

Rangers captain wearing the number 2 jersey and he misses his penalty.

He recovered to play well but you could tell at the end and in his BT Sport interview how upset he was.

Football can be cruel but his team mates rallied to get the win.
Not going to pelter him for the penalty miss, it happens though it was a poor run up and strike.

He must pick it up though, he has not been at it all season.

I was gutted too... had £10 on him to score first and £5 on him to score in the first 10 mins - think the penalty was hit at 9.57 or something as well :oops:

I am a massive fan but he has started the season really poorly.

Class is permanent, form is temporary.

Hopefully.
sadly for Tav he’s somewhat at the mercy of the formation and the lack of players helping him down the right hand side

We are asking a hell of a lot of the right back to create so much for us, we are lucky Tav has the fitness & athletic ability to cover so much ground but he’s going to get caught out from time going forward if nobody if filling in for him / covering

Think I watched a different game.
A penalty wide of the post isn't great but it aint a poor penalty.
He gave their lads very little down their left, clean sheet!
And he linked up well.

It's funny, I think Alfie should get his shot on the penalties, but I thought Tav was decent and unlucky with the spot kick.

And he linked up well.

It's funny, I think Alfie should get his shot on the penalties, but I thought Tav was decent and unlucky with the spot kick.
They were wide open several times down his side and should have scored on at least one occasion from it.

And he linked up well.

Missing the target with a penalty is not unlucky. It is poor.

He has missed 2 in a row and should be off them now.

In terms of his general play I am sure his form will return.

I love the lad but he really needs to let others step up as his delivery has went to shit from fk ect

I'll say it again and again but Candeias complimented him perfectly. I know Candeias doesnt help him score the penalty, but the rest of the game I thought he wasnt his normal dribbling attacking threat.
Agreed,those two linked up well together and I feel he's missing that link up.

I’m sorry but I don’t feel sorry for him, he never had a good game at all!

Was more with the situation mate.

It’s a pressure penalty after what happened the last couple of days and would have been fitting for the current Rangers captain to score in tribute to Fernando.

We know it’s a team sport and we got the win but as an individual he’ll be down after that.

Rangers captain wearing the number 2 jersey and he misses his penalty.

He recovered to play well but you could tell at the end and in his BT Sport interview how upset he was.

Football can be cruel but his team mates rallied to get the win.
He had his chance to step up

He wasn't dreadful at all tonight, he achieved pass-marks at worst against a very good opponent. But he does need to be ushered away from the penalties for a wee while. He's missed a few now.

I think his touch has been ropey since the start of the season, probably lacking confidence. On penalties, I think he is trying to be too precise. He is at his best on penalties when he focuses simply on hitting the ball very hard and on target. If the keeper gets in the way then good for him. Back to basics, James!

There’s a narrative now building around Tav when he turns in a performance that’s below what we know he’s capable of, and that’s that he both misses Candeias and that he’s been poor this season.

I’m calling BS on both counts, he’s been absolutely fine this season but because he isn’t scoring or assisting (yet) to the level he was last season it’s a stick to beat him with.

As for tonight, a penalty miss so early on clearly shook his confidence and affected his game. He still put in a sublime cross for Arfield in the 2nd half who should have done better.

Outside of the penalty (& probably getting skinned near the end) I don't think he played that bad. Not much came off for him but he wasn't blootering crosses out the park or misplacing many passes either. Just one of those nights & tbh I think he actually played better than he has been recently. He's just hitting a bit of a rough patch. Re Penalties: Aye, Morelos should take them. They're too important to risk.

He didn't have the best of games tonight. He seemed to lose his focus for a bit of the game which is a shame - maybe there was a bit more pressure than usual.

I am sure he will bounce back.

However, even though his penalty record has been good I'd let someone else have the penalties for a bit,.

Can you imagine the emotional pressure he was under, absolute nerve shredding for him and no one can say a bad word about it as we'd have all been the same. Thought he was a worthy captain on a great night

Exactly mate.

This is more what I was getting at.

I don’t think he deserves any criticism for missing that penalty in those circumstances

Better players have missed penalties in pressure situations.

Back