Was gutted for James Tavernier tonight

Poor penalty and it set the tone for his night unfortunately. Going through a bad spell of form just now but he'll bounce back, no doubt about it. Onwards and upwards.

He’s been average to good most games
He’s just not hitting his top form
He’s been far from as bad as some are making out. He’s suffering from his own high standards but some people need to get off his back a bit

Thot he had a howler in general tbh.
Nothing seemed to come off for him inc the pen obviously

Totally agree. Caught out of position a few times and his passing was poor. Also cannot take. Throw ins - constantly throws it to a player who has no chance to react as he has a player on his back.

Not just
There’s a narrative now building around Tav when he turns in a performance that’s below what we know he’s capable of, and that’s that he both misses Candeias and that he’s been poor this season.

I’m calling BS on both counts, he’s been absolutely fine this season but because he isn’t scoring or assisting (yet) to the level he was last season it’s a stick to beat him with.

As for tonight, a penalty miss so early on clearly shook his confidence and affected his game. He still put in a sublime cross for Arfield in the 2nd half who should have done better.
Tonight I'm afraid but this season he has been average at best I've got to say.

Think Tav has suffered from the new setup we're using, especially Arfield being the man who's usually in front of him.

Tav is normally our most creative player whereas that's been stifled a wee bit now and it shows.

He was absolutely rotten tonight and has been more or less all season. Ill never question his determination to keep going but his passing has regressed terribly this season.

Hasnt started the season well. Looks a bit subdued. Still one of our biggest threats going forward though. Get tore in son.

Id take him out of rotation for a few weeks. A fully fit and focused James Tavernier, is a ridiculously good weapon to have. Give the American dude a run. (Apologies for not remembering his name)

Notice most of the criticism is about his forward play. He's set very high standards for himself, but first and foremost he's a defender and we didn't lose any goals. Second he's one of our longest serving (if not longest) serving player and our captain. He's also improved probably beyond what he thought he could himself achieve. There was a reason we paid so little for him at the time and what club he came from.

He was unlucky with the penalty tonight

Last edited:
Nearly cost us with about fifteen minutes to go, switching off and getting caught wrong side of his man. In the big games doesn't look too confident and passes the buck instead of taking his man on.

We miss his partnership with Candeias, even though he could frustrate, Tav felt confident going forward knowing Candeias was covering.

Rangers captain wearing the number 2 jersey and he misses his penalty.

He recovered to play well but you could tell at the end and in his BT Sport interview how upset he was.

Football can be cruel but his team mates rallied to get the win.

He didn’t.

We won though, that’s the main thing.

Rangers captain wearing the number 2 jersey and he misses his penalty.

He recovered to play well but you could tell at the end and in his BT Sport interview how upset he was.

Football can be cruel but his team mates rallied to get the win.
Play well,you having a laugh???

He definitely misses a candeias or another player down his right to help him out as arfield is a totally different player

Tav carries a huge load in terms of games played. Hopefully he gets a wee rest soon. Seems to be over thinking his penalties.

We played a narrow game tonight so it was not a night for Tav bursting up the flanks.

Thought he recovered well from the penalty.

I think people who are saying he hasn't been the same player without Candeias need to remember having Candeias (or anyone for that matter) sticking to the right wing like glue is always going to afford him the opportunity to get further forward and in behind on the underlap/overlap.

Since the tail end of last season we've adopted a more central style of play with almost two inside forwards (or inverted wingers). Of course it's going to have an impact on his now famous marauding style.

Regarding tonight I thought he done well. Achieving pass marks. I thought in the first half especially he caused them some problems.

He also tucked inside a few times helping out Goldson in defence.

I'd agree Alfie should be on Pens for a while though.

Id take him out of rotation for a few weeks. A fully fit and focused James Tavernier, is a ridiculously good weapon to have. Give the American dude a run. (Apologies for not remembering his name)

Careful with those kind of suggestions mate. :)):))

There’s a narrative now building around Tav when he turns in a performance that’s below what we know he’s capable of, and that’s that he both misses Candeias and that he’s been poor this season.

I’m calling BS on both counts, he’s been absolutely fine this season but because he isn’t scoring or assisting (yet) to the level he was last season it’s a stick to beat him with.

As for tonight, a penalty miss so early on clearly shook his confidence and affected his game. He still put in a sublime cross for Arfield in the 2nd half who should have done better.
Tav put in plenty of great performances last season and this season without Candeias. The notion that he needs him to be at his best is ridiculous.

Back