Was it worth it?

Gerrard was sold on the project and the project required that timeline/story.

'Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future' are probably the best lines Eliot ever wrote and basically mean 'the old stuff makes the new stuff'. I believe that.

We went throught absolute hell.

We trawled our way through the lower leagues.

We lost in the Ramsden Cup final...

We played in the Petrofac Cup!

We spent sleepless nights worrying about whether our club would ever get back to the top.

AND THEN

We appointed Steven Gerrard

We established a winning mentality across all levels of the club

We won 55 and essentially destroyed Septic (lets be honest, they are done as a club)

Was it worth it?
c1ef0385e8295e5df8b58efabd05f7b5.gif

Nope, how many bears passed away while we were owned by crooks.

They were robbed of a strong Rangers and passed never knowing if we ever recovered.

Only had 2 asks of my lifespan. One is to live long enough the kids have all finished school and the other was to see the famous restored.

1 down 1 to go to die happy.
I lost my beloved Dad to dementia.
I was visiting him in the nursing home and Rangers were on the TV and he asked me how the Rangers were getting on. One of the nursing staff said we were in the third division and he went absolutely ballistic. The staff member apologised and I took it no further.
My Dad died on the day we won the third division and we were able to tell him just before he passed away.
He gave me the dna, passion and love for Rangers. My love and appreciation for that man is ever lasting.

We spent sleepless nights worrying about whether our club would ever get back to the top.

AND THEN

We won 55 and essentially destroyed Septic (lets be honest, they are done as a club)

Was it worth it?

As someone who pretty much went to every away game throughout "the journey" I certainly wouldn't want to go through it all again.

However, it really is a happy ending.

No. We already had a team in place capable of winning 55 back in 2011, and if Murray hadn't fucked us financially then handed us over to a con artist, we'd most likely have already won it and several more over the last decade.

55 is one of the most special and important title victories in our history because of everything that's happened since 2012, but it doesn't make it all worth it. Nothing will.
This absolutely nails it. Magnificently put

AND THEN

Was it worth it?
I had friends and family over last night for pizzas and beers and we were talking about it (forest fans). I kind of glammed it up saying “we’ve won every trophy available in Scotland, but, I wish we never had to” it’s dreadful they way we were treated. The cup final against HIVS stil grates on me, not the fact we lost but their behaviour and the fact they got a pass, it’s utterly appalling. In any normal society they would have been hammered, utterly sickening.

I was visiting him in the nursing home and Rangers were on the TV and he asked me how the Rangers were getting on. One of the nursing staff said we were in the third division and he went absolutely ballistic. The staff member apologised and I took it no further.
My Dad died on the day we won the third division and we were able to tell him just before he passed away.
He gave me the dna, passion and love for Rangers. My love and appreciation for that man is ever lasting.

Feel your pain buddy, lost my old boy when in the Championship and being run by Ashley.

It's exactly what makes me think of every bear who did not get to witness our return.

RIP each and every one of them.

It's been a story and a journey and as fans you get dragged into the bad times and good.

Yes, the comeback and 55 was outstanding and we're strong now. Not all fans get to be part of that with their team. Especially taking the 10 away at the last chance.

But no, those were dark times when we didnt even know if we'd have a club. Men in blazers, some of whom wanted us dead, meeting in private to decide whether we have a place in a league.

100% not worth it.

AND THEN

Was it worth it?
Quite simply: no

Feel your pain buddy, lost my old boy when in the Championship and being run by Ashley.

It's exactly what makes me think of every bear who did not get to witness our return.

RIP each and every one of them.
Thank you my friend. God bless.

Thinking back to the whole club that we had when last successful in 2011 to what we have now and there is no doubt-

We have emerged stronger because of the trials to be overcome.

Mr Struth was prophetic.

No never, but sometimes trashing a project and rebuilding properly puts you in a good position for the future. Looks like DK and the Board understood that whereas Green and co just looted us and were not proper leaders.

AND THEN

Was it worth it?
Absolutely not

What a profoundly stupid question. FFS.

It's not really. We live in the now. The now is only so good because of the past.

Rangers were stale even before Craig Whyte came in. We weren't signing many players, were selling players year on year and only thanks to the brilliance of Smith were we still on top. But only just.

Would I do that decade again? Absolutely not. But, now that we are in the now and we have a club who fears no foe and players worth millions as well as transfer window excitement with an icon as manager....those years made this moment possible.

A resounding ‘no’ from me. Being able to restructure and reset has been good, but let’s face it, we only did this in the last 4 years, not since 2012. One thing it’s done for me however, is make me appreciate success much more.

AND THEN

Was it worth it?
It was out with our control as fans, we had no option.
It's fantastic just now, that's for sure.

No, look at the ground they’ve made on our trophy haul (tainted or not)
FFS, Lego muncher must have the same amount of medals as the Legendary Richard Gough

Absolutely not. We endured what we had to because there was no other option. The financial damage the club had to endure; the litany of on-field embarassments and let-downs; the never ending drama that surrounded everything we did; the relentless war on Rangers instigated by a cowardly club (and their bagmen over at Tannadice and elsewhere) who took full advantage of our situation and only failed to kill us off because our determination to survive was that bit stronger.

Anyone who had to work with crash barriers over this period, which is probably most of us, will remember how utterly galling it was to have these natural born losers being able to goad and brag for years on end. We haven't even begun to pay them back for it. 55 was just the best team winning the league. Payback is another matter entirely.

Last edited:
What happened is part of the incredible history of our club, and, absolutely, the enjoyment of and pride to be taken in our resurgence is enhanced by the suffering we went through in the preceding years. Moreover, we've got a lot to look forward to at this point in time.

But, no, it hasn't been worth it. I wouldn't wish our experience on anyone other than those who reveled in it.

I started a new job last year and work with a Dundee United fan who, in May, jokingly congratulated me on our 'first' title. The venom with which I reacted shocked him and others, largely fans of English clubs, present. In truth, it shocked me a little, too, because I'd like to think that I'm mellowing with age. The reality is, though, that I'll forever remain embittered by the attempted ruin of RFC.

YES, One thing that really did come out of it was, those in Scottish Football That Showed How Much They HATED! Rangers Football Club, lest us not Forget That.
As For SPFA, SFA, and all of Liewells Cronies, May They Rot In Hell, along with those that Wanted the Breath Taken Out of Our Club.

Suffering at the hands of the SPHell, Government & Sports Authorities, spivs, other clubs, banks HMRC & let's not forget the media - was an unmitigated nightmare - that if truth be told was almost unbearable at times

It did teach us who our enemies were / are & we'll be wary of trusting any of these culprits ever again

However- what I refuse to adopt - is anything approaching a victim mentality

Those that did us wrong are duly noted -
But just like the scene in Raging Bull - you still didn't couldn't put us down -

Not worth it at all. But the club needed gutted and modernised and it gave us the chance to do it properly. We had a blank canvas and eventually got everything right.

This^^^

And this^^^
I'm not 1 for drama but let's not forget just how far we fell & what might have happened with the list of charaltans & crooks we had in charge.
Much like the snp, it changed society in Scotland. Friendly banter disappeared as the mask slipped from many and the bigotry and hatred spewed forth. 'friends ' were jettisoned never to be spoken to again.
Not just Tim's but plenty of other fans let you know how hated we were.
Well, fk them all, they ain't laughing now

AND THEN

Was it worth it?
No

10 years of mostly misery has made winning 55 extra special imho. I don't think we will ever celebrate a title as much again ever again (unless we win 10IAR). Stopping that lot from winning 10IAR combined with 55 has been superb.

Suppose you can look at it both way but was worth all the abuse, all the tirades against us, the mocking and the just general negativity not a single second was worth it.

Sitting at Ibrox getting pumped off Motherwell in those play offs really had me wondering if we would ever get back then under Murty fvck sake it was brutal.

You could argue that whatever doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger. It really depends on what we do in the next few seasons.

On the one hand we handed our rivals a chance to win an unprecedented 3 trebles and steal a fourth, something we’ll probably never do. On the other hand the mental scars I have from losing 10 in 1998 have completely healed, and any time I see 10iar mentioned now just makes me smile and laugh, which is a pleasant change indeed.

I'd never believe it was worth it, but it has taught me that nothing can ever be taken for granted.

We were warned the club was going down a dangerous path and many, myself included thought it could never happen, we were too big.

We have shown that we can do great things without being reckless and all the answers to success are not in the bank balance.

Yes.

Going through the leagues was really depressing and that feeling was compounded by the off field uncertainty we had to endure on a weekly basis.

However there's a new appetite from fans now.. we know this generation of Rangers supporters will never take anything for granted again.

I was at the club store this morning and it was mobbed, a 15 minute wait to get in on a random Sunday morning.. amazing!

44k Season Tickets sold out in a matter of days.. I remember from about 2009-2012 getting emails from rangers about extra tickets for cektic at Ibrox.. we'll never see that again due the the hunger from the fans.

And if the next couple of seasons go the way we all hope, including 2 CL groups stages, the club will be in the strongest position I've ever seen it in (I'm 31).

As low as the lows were.. the highs we're going to experience over the next 2/3 years will be worth it for me.

**I also like the thought that in 100 years time when we're all gone.. the next generation of Rangers fan will be utterly amazed at the events of the last decade and the loyalty shown by all of us**

I can see where OP is coming from, however, it would have been preferable not to have went through the long period of toil that the club went through.

That said, we have come through it, and the club appears to now be progressing from strength-to-strength in this Gerrard era.

Personally, I'm enjoying every moment of following Rangers at the moment, after many years of rebuilding.

In particular, I am grateful for the professionalism being demonstrated at all levels of the club, from the business side to all aspects of the football side.

Last edited:
If they had taken full advantage of their free reign of league titles and European football then I would straight away answer that question with a resounding no but Selliks constant stream of fu.ck ups these days does make me think about it more.

The past ten years have been awful until Gerrard arrived and it was only then where we were finally laying the groundwork to finally take the club forward to start winning again and restore our pride both domestically and in Europe. A minor miracle considering the shysters and spivs that stunk the place but it did steer the club into the path of modernisation (DoF, Sport Science etc) with a top class coaching staff and a drive to take the club into the 21st century.

Would the people in charge before 2011/Whyte been able to do this or at least have an inkling to achieve this? I'm not convinced but it's all ifs and maybes I guess.

Last edited:
No.it was hard going some of defeat s especially against them
i never forgive David Murray and rest of chancers at our club until the Good guys came in

sorry

The tragedy was it was preventable and it would have been best avoided even just a long run of 60's/70's and 80's non-success was much preferable to what we went through.

Back