Was just telling my wee fella about Mark Walters

I remember watching a football show when he was still with Villa, and the presenters were raving about him.

We signed him not long after and I was delighted, he was one of those players that could just beat a man with such ease, it was so natural for him.

Top quality player.

For a brief period of time around the late 1980's we had the luxury of two of our greatest wingers gracing our team sometimes together, Davie Cooper and Mark Walters.
Go back to the sixties and it was Willie Henderson and Willie Johnston. I cannot mention such players without citing Tommy McClean and Davie Wilson too albeit from different eras.

Also I would like to say that Mark Hateley is rightly a hero for his winning headers against Aberdeen to win the league in 90/91. However, one of Hateley's headed goals came from a superlative pinpoint cross from Mark Walters.

Last edited:
Top player.
Contributed goals too.
We sold Davie Cooper because MW was so good.

The greatest compliment I could ever pay Mark Walters is that he was so good, we quickly forgot about Davie Cooper, and I don’t say that lightly - he was my favourite player.

Mark Walters was a magnificent talent and a true gentleman. He alone was worth the addition money for his dazzling runs and goals.
His cross for Mark Hateley to score when we beat the sheep to win the league in 1991 was sublime.

I always adored MW & would praise him to any younger member of our fan base

He really was a top quality player capable of riding out the rough stuff & bringing skill & ability to any game

He seemed to relish beating opponents, often humiliating them in the process, especially against timmy -
& as for his inch perfect crossing ability - well sublime is an understatement - yet he often said it was the strikers who should take credit - because he crossed into a 'zone' not a player - well Mark I'll take your word for that - but whatever it was it certainly worked

He'll long be appreciated by me

I was there, he beat David Narey three times, one the best gaols I’ve ever seen
Worth remembering Darren Jackson opened the scoring that day with an 18-yard BACKHEEL!

We also played Dundee United up there in a League Cup game, perhaps two years later, which finished 3-2 to us on a Wednesday night. An absolute stormer of a cup tie. Think they had a wee Brazilian centre-forward at the time who gave us a torrid time of it but didn't last long because he was a bit mental! Again, no TV footage so lost in the memory.

He could trap an elephant with one touch, he was so good!
Honestly, he had this thing, where a ball was launched up in the air, and he would put his boot out and bring it down like it was on a parachute, then, all in one motion, he would bring the ball through his own legs, and sometimes the opponents, and turn down the line. It was poetry in motion.

His cross for Mark Hateley to score when we beat the sheep to win the league in 1991 was sublime.
Quite simply, the ultimate cross made even better that he was falling backwards.
The abuse he took upon his arrival was shameful not to mention the titters from the radio pundits over the bananas.
He was, and is, a better man than all of them. Class.

Thanks for posting,enjoyed watching the man again,Davie cooper & Mark Walters in the same team just let that sink in for a second........wow man!
Pulled up a wee you tube clip

What a player he was wouldn’t look out of place amongst the modern footballer today

He was way ahead of his time and in my top 10 favorite Rangers players of all time

And to cap it off an absolute gentleman!

The abuse he endured was on a different scale than what players have to deal with today. It’s almost unbelievable.

Being of Caucasian origin I have only an idea of how that made Mark feel but what I admire most was his ability to never let it distract him or destroy his will. His ability to overcome this and perform at the level he did is an inspiration.

He absolutely roasted defenders all over the country and it was a joy to watch

I was telling my son he was the first player I remember seeing do a “double shuffle”

I believe it’s now called a step over or a double step over.

Reactions: TQ3
I believe Davie Cooper said Walters in training was unbelievable and even though he was great for us he was one of those players who could never quite deliver his whole talent-scary thought.

Was only just grasping the basics of football when Walters arrived at Ibrox. Was astounded by his magic. I had never seen tricks and flicks and bursts of pace before. We all tried to be him down the park and fell on our arses most of the time. What a player.

His his debut the piggery even though we got beat was a taster of things to come from him.
Does anyone remember a LC semi v Hearts at Hampden and his cousin doing keepie uppies at half time as he was the world record holder?

Pulled up a wee you tube clip

What a player he was wouldn’t look out of place amongst the modern footballer today

He was way ahead of his time and in my top 10 favorite Rangers players of all time

And to cap it off an absolute gentleman!

Halfway through his biography and it's a great story he was a real entertainer for us.

Back