Was the Goldson tackle in the second half a penalty?

nateman

Got to admit I thought that was a penalty. They showed the angle from behind the goal and there was clear contact, surprised VAR never pulled it up and gave the ref a look at it.

quite unbelievable it wasn’t given tbh, an absolute stonewaller.

Got the impression that the referee would rather have been anywhere else last night.

Some non-Eintracht-German fans on the German board also went ballistic. We were shown it about a dozen times.

Goldson made marginal contact with the player`s foot, nothing that would make him lose control of himself and tumble to the ground though*. By the time contact was made, the ball was skipping too far anyway. I wouldn`t have gone mad had we been "denied" a penalty in such a way. Ref and VAR both agreed that there was too little in it to warrant a penalty.

* BTW, I am no fan of folk (like Kevin Thomson) saying that if people "feel that there is contact, they have every right to go down". That is essentially asking players to dive (no matter what and where) and essentially cheat. Not what I expect of a true British footballer.

Stonewaller. Kind of similar to the Kent one against Dortmund where there was definite contact.

I was shocked the ref wasn’t told to watch it on the screen.

i thought kent got clipped at his chance right at the end but will never watch it again.

No, I think in Cup finals penalties have to be clearer.

There has to be more intent or force.

It would have been given against us in the league 100%

I thought it was at first. On the replays I don't think there was enough force to warrant their player's hysterics.

Was a daft challenge to make regardless.

I'd be going tonto had it not been given to us, so felt we got away with one on the night. Not that it matters now sadly.

To be fair, I think this is a sign of VAR “evolving”.

Had the ref given it I’ve no doubt VAR wouldn’t have over ruled him.

A case of no “clear and obvious” error so VAR let’s it go on as is. There was definitely “contact” whether it was enough to be a foul and put the guy to ground is debatable.

When showing the replays I’d my heart in my mouth. Was expecting it to be given by VAR.

Was stunned VAR didn’t result in giving it honestly. I would have been fuming if it was the other end and we didn’t get it.

On a sidenote, that player was Borre. The guy who put them level. The guy who scored the decisive penalty. The guy who decided to go to Eintracht on a free last summer instead of us. Football is a funny old game ...

Other end of the park and we're screaming for it.

There was definitely contact with the man. No contact with the ball. I think that the way Borre goes down puts a bit of doubt in VAR ref's mind. If it had been given then we would have had no grounds to complain.

from one angle ( from behind goal) it looked less of pen, but i was sure it was on first viewing. i think he threw himself

On a sidenote, that player was Borre. The guy who put them level. The guy who scored the decisive penalty. The guy who decided to go to Eintracht on a free last summer instead of us. Football is a funny old game ...
Go on then. We want to know and you want to tell us.

Yeah - I think we got away with it as the attacker made a meal of his reaction.
That's what I thought, he waited a split second to throw himself to the floor a bit theatrically which was why Goldson got the benefit of doubt I guess.
As soon as I seen it I thought it was a penalty and when it was being checked I was surprised they never got it to be honest

Did I think it would be given? Yes.
Do the laws of the game say it's a pen? Probably.
Do I think minimal contact & someone throwing themselves to the ground is a pen? No....& never will regardless if they are playing for us or against us.

It wasn't inconclusive. Goldson makes contact with the side of Borre's foot. It's really clear on the replays.
Watched the highlights this morning and i disagree,when watching live i thought we were fortunate and i honestly think the dive swayed the decision in our favour

Back