Wasps, is there less of them this year?

ekbear

Normally the wee bastards are out stinging folk for fun at this time of year, but I've seen very few all "summer". Is this the upside of all the rain we've had that they've not been able to get out and have their stingathon and are waiting for the first day of sunshine before making up for lost time?

Now you mention it, I haven't seen one this year. Normally around this time they start dying and can get really vicious. Have to watch for the buggers getting into all sorts of strange places in their death throes!

They'll all be dead fairly soon. Total myth that they sting everybody btw. Unless you run around trying to attack them or are in their flightpath they have no interest in stinging you.

I think we have had them all out here in Italy then because we have had thousands during this long hot summer.

I've had only one in the house and only seen one even in our local bakery.

Definitely not as many this year.

Good. Wee bastards. :D

There's a well known rangers fan who plays in a local tech-house / trance music band called The WASP, white Anglo Saxon Protestant :)

I think they're called Dixon's Avenue Bass Jams

I've killed about half a dozen recently but nothing like last Aug/Sept when there were hundreds of the bastards.

They'll all be dead fairly soon. Total myth that they sting everybody btw. Unless you run around trying to attack them or are in their flightpath they have no interest in stinging you.

Don't believe you about been a myth

One of the wee cunts stung me today the wee bassa

I think we have had them all out here in Italy then because we have had thousands during this long hot summer.

Keep them then. :D

Remember my mate got stung on the lip. A wasp had crawled into his can of irn bru and when went to take a swig the wee bugger climbed out and stung him in the process. :D

Managed to keep one from getting in the house when I spotted it just inside the kitchen window a few weeks ago. That's been it for me this year.

Tons of bees though, happy to say. Then again the wife has the garden looking brilliant with an absolute mass of colourful flowers. They just get on with their work though and are cool to watch sitting out with a beer or two.

Daughter just got stung tonight and a few of my pal's dogs have had an awfy time of it this last few weeks but it's been nowhere near as bad as past years.

The spiders on the other hand... :(

I work outdoors and was just on about this the other day, hardly seen any this year. mentally challengeds of the Insect world.

Can't stand the little bandits, if one comes near me, i go full into rage attack mode, kinda terrified of them. The op is right, not seen anywhere near last years numbers. Put a bowl of chopped up grapes out for the hens the other day, that attracted about a dozen from somewhere, sprayed big time with the fly/wasp killer and stuck a bucket over pronto, job done.

I would say so we usually have loads of bikes in our out buildings however this year we have only had 4.
We did have a big one under a PVC roof so I got a professional out to wipe them out. He was done and dusted in 5 minutes - £40 - and never seen a wasp there again
No fooking way I was going on the roof to kill them - nasty wee b4stards

A wee tip. If you see one about mid April near or in your property - squash the bassa! That's the queen looking to build her nest to have hundreds of babies to annoy you 5 months later.
Also: Only female wasps, including queens, have stingers, which are used solely for self-defence.

I only ever see them when I am 25 feet up on a roof brush in1 hand paint pot in the other, have been known to drown them in paint pot, giving the paint more body

A wee tip. If you see one about mid April near or in your property - squash the bassa! That's the queen looking to build her nest to have hundreds of babies to annoy you 5 months later.
Also: Only female wasps, including queens, have stingers, which are used solely for self-defence.

What's the best way to tell the wasp's sex apart other than being stung?

Killed a Queen wasp in April. Bastard was building a best in my shed.

I had only seen one other all summer and then today 2 of the bastards got into the house.

Normally there are loads down at the school this time of the year with kids dropping sweets, cans of juice etc but I've yet to see one. Last year was a nightmare though, loads of the wee bastards.

I saw a thing on the telly how to build a wasp trap. You cut a plastic bottle in half then stick the top half neck down into the other half, then pour beer into the bottle and the wasps go in for the beer and can't get back out.

Seems to be fewer of them this year, they are a bloody nuisance when having a drink outside or bbq.

I read somewhere that wasps are the only creatures on earth that attack things just for the sake of it. Going against the grain here but I think they're cool as f@ck wee things.

Back