Watched Ajax v Willem II last night

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
First things first, the stadium seems absolutely huge. Looking online it says the capacity is 54,000 odd. It just seems bigger, inside and out.

Transport wise, there’s car parking underneath the stadium, and given the place is surrounded by shops, bars, restaurants and cinemas, I’m sure there’ll be no shortage of car parks around.
Myself and my mate took the metro there and the train back from Amsterdam Central. Both were 10-15 minutes and easy to follow. The fact that most Dutch speak English it’s easy enough to ask if you’re stuck anyway.
Finding your way in and around the stadium is also pretty simple.
Sadly we had restricted view seats, and were sat next to blurry Perspex for the first 30 minutes. This obscured the left touchline for us, Ajax’s right wing in the first half.
I have no idea why they have this area as it’s just full of Ajax fans. I understand it could be for the likes of Feyenoord, but by all accounts there are no away fans at these fixtures and there haven’t been for years.
Restricted view just shouldn’t be a thing in today’s game!
We moved along to a pocket of empty seats in a better location at the 30 minute mark.
In terms of pre-match, or just local surrounds, it makes you realise how much Rangers are losing out by having nothing around the ground.
One thing that was extremely annoying was the constant stream of people coming in for the first 30-35 mins. The majority were on the bevvy, carrying beers and struggling to find their seats.
A serious revenue stream we don’t have, but I could imagine it’d be even worse with pissed up bears needing a slash every 10 mins and staggering about looking for their seats.
I’d have to say for someone who rarely drinks at games, it’d be more annoying than not for me.
I get pissed off at the 40 minute pie brigade or the subway Loyal from 80 mins onwards, so putting up with this for a whole game would seriously burst my chops!

Anyway, onto the game.
I wanted to see Ajax put on a show, but as a Bluenose, I actually took great comfort in watching them struggle.
Strange as that will sound, it was like any Rangers game at Ibrox where we struggle to break defensive teams down.
I won’t go into a full tactical breakdown of everything, but to see the game unfold the way it did, it made it so clear that even the best teams have these games. Top players have games where things don’t come off. Top teams drop points they should never be dropping.
Looking at individuals, I’ll just comment on the following.

Daley Blind - a very good footballer. Comfy on the ball and walks out of defence and plays passes. He is not quick though and can quite easily be got at.

Donny Van De Beek - The main man in their midfield. Very good on the ball. Takes it anywhere, turns and moves it on, always finds space and time. Unlucky not to score twice with similar efforts, one wide and one off the bar. A class act.

Dusan Tadic - had a quietish game. I like him and wanted to see him and Ziyech the most. One thing I did notice was that he’s very strong and uses his body a lot. He brings players close and then uses his body to manoeuvre them around and makes himself some space. Sadly he didn’t do much but you can see he has quality.

Hakim Ziyech - I’ve raved about this guy since before the last WC. He’s the guy that they really look to to make things happen. He flattered to deceive a bit last night, but was a constant threat. Possibly a bit frustrating as he got caught dribbling once or twice or just doing too much, but always a threat and always looked likely. Another one it just didn’t happen for.

Mike Tresor Ndayishiyime - Willem II
The boy was the absolute stand out player afield.
Fast, tricky, quick feet, touch, passing, vision.
My whole post was really about getting to this lad.
Had never heard of him before, but been looking up a little about him now.
He’s a 20 year old Belgian U21 international and was released by Anderlecht a year ago. Well I think anyway as he joined NEC Nijmegen on a free.
He’s on a year’s loan at Willem II just now.
Sometimes being at a game things just feel different, but around me you could hear the collective gasps every time the lad got the ball. He scampered down both wings and through the middle. Kept possession well and always made himself available. Looked assured every time he had it and controlled it and moved it well.
Had a couple of balls that didn’t quite come off, but as I said almost every time he got the ball the Ajax crowd and players just seemed to shite themselves.
Maybe this boy is a well known youngster, maybe he’s already a superstar, or maybe he’s had problems hence being possibly freed by Anderlecht, but to put that performance in that he did last night, in that arena, well, if he hasn’t already, I’d say this kid arrived last night.

Perhaps it was a flash in the pan and he’s not always like that, but I was genuinely excited watching him and hope he goes on and plays like that for his full career.

As I said, I knew nothing of him, but from what I saw I’d absolutely love to see this kid at Ibrox and would love to think we’d have a look.

Sorry for what’s now turned into a massive post, but if someone can tell me how to post pics from my iPhone I’ll do it!

Last edited:
Good post. I’ve always liked Ajax and been fascinated by how they have a conveyor belt of such good players. Would like to take in a game sometime
Me too mate. Funnily enough I’ve heard from loads of the Dutch guys here, Feyenoord, Den Haag and Excelsior fans that although Ajax do produce great kids, they also steal a hell of a lot of them from the other clubs. Ones mentioned were Noa Lang who scored a hat trick on his first, first team start last weekend was at Feyenoord, and Frenkie De Jong who they apparently stole from Twente 2 years ago for like €200k development type fee or something like that.
I don’t know the full ins and outs but fair to say Ajax aren’t best liked outside of the Ajax fans.

someone can tell me how to post pics from my iPhone I’ll do it!

I’ve this link saved to my home screen and use it for posting pics here off my iPhone. Once uploaded I use the bbcode full linked link and it works fine here

Last edited:
Me too mate. Funnily enough I’ve heard from loads of the Dutch guys here, Feyenoord, Den Haag and Excelsior fans that although Ajax do produce great kids, they also steal a hell of a lot of them from the other clubs. Ones mentioned were Noa Lang who scored a hat trick on his first, first team start last weekend was at Feyenoord, and Frenkie De Jong who they apparently stole from Twente 2 years ago for like €200k development type fee or something like that.
I don’t know the full ins and outs but fair to say Ajax aren’t best liked outside of the Ajax fans.

I think I read somewhere that Willem II sold De Jong to Ajax for a euro plus a 10% sell on clause, knowing he had serious talent and would struggle to keep him.

Frustrating to see him go but at least compensated well for his move to Barca.

That's really a model we have to take seriously if we're going to have to move on players to balance the books.

Reactions: LD5

As a former resident of the Netherlands I would suggest the fact they
are the biggest and most successful club is why they are dislike.
Very similar to Rangers in some respects and Man Utd in the past.

Did the club tour last week, they have sections 416/417 for away fans depending on sz of club depends on allocation, Ibrox feels bigger in my opinion and was shocked to learn it has almost 55,000 capacity

Did the tour last Friday while over there, the perplex screen is bulletproof so at least you were safe :))

The guide was good, but for all the emphasis they put on youth development, I found it strange he barely mentioned ‘the academy.’

The next big thing will be Ryan Gravenberch apparently

I was over there for the game in 96 when they spanked us 4-1 with Durrant scoring and Gazza getting sent off. The stadium was just out the packet at the time and was something else.

The Ajax fans were absolute scum though. They attacked us at the train station lobbing bricks and bottles at us and then again when we were penned in at the stadium.

I was over there for the game in 96 when they spanked us 4-1 with Durrant scoring and Gazza getting sent off. The stadium was just out the packet at the time and was something else.

The Ajax fans were absolute scum though. They attacked us at the train station lobbing bricks and bottles at us and then again when we were penned in at the stadium.
I remember that well.Utter scum

First things first, the stadium seems absolutely huge. Looking online it says the capacity is 54,000 odd. It just seems bigger, inside and out.

Transport wise, there’s car parking underneath the stadium, and given the place is surrounded by shops, bars, restaurants and cinemas, I’m sure there’ll be no shortage of car parks around.
Myself and my mate took the metro there and the train back from Amsterdam Central. Both were 10-15 minutes and easy to follow. The fact that most Dutch speak English it’s easy enough to ask if you’re stuck anyway.
Sadly we had restricted view seats, and were sat next to blurry Perspex for the first 30 minutes. This obscured the left touchline for us, Ajax’s right wing in the first half.
I have no idea why they have this area as it’s just full of Ajax fans. I understand it could be for the likes of Feyenoord, but by all accounts there are no away fans at these fixtures and there haven’t been for years.
We moved along to a pocket of empty seats in a better location at the 30 minute mark.
In terms of pre-match, or just local surrounds, it makes you realise how much Rangers are losing out by having nothing around the ground.
One thing that was extremely annoying was the constant stream of people coming in for the first 30-35 mins. The majority were on the bevvy, carrying beers and struggling to find their seats.
A serious revenue stream we don’t have, but I could imagine it’d be even worse with pissed up bears needing a slash every 10 mins and staggering about looking for their seats.
I’d have to say for someone who rarely drinks at games, it’d be more annoying than not for me.
I get pissed off at the 40 minute pie brigade or the subway Loyal from 80 mins onwards, so putting up with this for a whole game would seriously burst my chops!

Anyway, onto the game.
I wanted to see Ajax put on a show, but as a Bluenose, I actually took great comfort in watching them struggle.
Strange as that will sound, it was like any Rangers game at Ibrox where we struggle to break defensive teams down.
I won’t go into a full tactical breakdown of everything, but to see the game unfold the way it did, it made it so clear that even the best teams have these games. Top players have games where things don’t come off. Top teams drop points they should never be dropping.

Daley Blind - a very good footballer. Comfy on the ball and walks out of defence and plays passes. He is not quick though and can quite easily be got at.

Donny Van De Beek - The main man in their midfield. Very good on the ball. Takes it anywhere, turns and moves it on, always finds space and time. Unlucky not to score twice with similar efforts, one wide and one off the bar. A class act.

Dusan Tadic - had a quietish game. I like him and wanted to see him and Ziyech the most. One thing I did notice was that he’s very strong and uses his body a lot. He brings players close and then uses his body to manoeuvre them around and makes himself some space. Sadly he didn’t do much but you can see he has quality.

Hakim Ziyech - I’ve raved about this guy since before the last WC. He’s the guy that they really look to to make things happen. He flattered to deceive a bit last night, but was a constant threat. Possibly a bit frustrating as he got caught dribbling once or twice or just doing too much, but always a threat and always looked likely. Another one it just didn’t happen for.

Mike Tresor Ndayishime - Willem II
He’s a 20 year old Belgian U21 international and was released by Anderlecht a year ago. Well I think anyway as he joined NEC Nijmegen on a free.
Sometimes being at a game things just feel different, but around me you could hear the collective gasps every time the lad got the ball. He scampered down both wings and through the middle. Kept possession well and always made himself available. Looked assured every time he had it and controlled it and moved it well.
Had a couple of balls that didn’t quite come off, but as I said almost every time he got the ball the Ajax crowd and players just seemed to shite themselves.
Maybe this boy is a well known youngster, maybe he’s already a superstar, or maybe he’s had problems hence being possibly freed by Anderlecht, but to put that performance in that he did last night, in that arena, well, if he hasn’t already, I’d say this kid arrived last night.

Perhaps it was a flash in the pan and he’s not always like that, but I was genuinely excited watching him and hope he goes on and plays like that for his full career.

As I said, I knew nothing of him, but from what I saw I’d absolutely love to see this kid at Ibrox and would love to think we’d have a look.

Sorry for what’s now turned into a massive post, but if someone can tell me how to post pics from my iPhone I’ll do it!
Get on the phone to Gerrard now.

They’re actually very friendly with us now because of how many ex Ajax players played for us afterwards.

Was in Amsterdam in feb went out to have a look at the stadium you’re right it is massive in every sense also seems mad that a main road runs right underneath it:))

Cheers for that mate.
A wee obligitory YouTube video for the player highlighted by OP.

Looking at that clip, it says welcome to Bayern Munich? Would that perhaps mean that they're looking at him or is it just standard youtube pish?

Would love to see the highlights back from last night. The boy just caught the eye every time he got the ball. I hope he shows up as well as he seemed to.

If others aren't onto this kid I'd love to see us try and get him. His pace last night was absolutely devastating at times.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him end up at Ajax.

Last edited:
Was in Amsterdam in feb went out to have a look at the stadium you’re right it is massive in every sense also seems mad that a main road runs right underneath it:))

Honestly mate I didn't even know that about the road? We used the car park underneath to walk through to the other side of the stadium after the game as the rain was torrential, so I just thought it was a massive car park underneath.

Actually another thing that's just come back to me. The weather was horrible last night, and yet inside the stadium it was so comfortable as they'd closed the roof. No wind whistling through, no chills, no rain or anything to bother you, which was very nice considering the wind and rain outside.

And another thing, Heineken must make absolutely fucking billions. Almost every person was carrying trays of 4-6 beers and they're not cheap. I didn't purchase anything inside the ground, but one Heineken extra cold and two rum and cokes was 22 Euros in one of the bars outside.
They must have sold thousands of \Heinekens just in the area I was in alone! Mental to think of what their turnover must be on a matchday!

The perspex area is the away end. The Willem fans boycotted the game because of treatment of their fans in Amsterdam previously.

The perspex area is the away end. The Willem fans boycotted the game because of treatment of their fans in Amsterdam previously.
Cheers for the info mate. I wasn’t aware of that.
It was nice to complete the set of being to Holland’s big 3 grounds now.

Incidentally I’ve been to 4 games and never seen any of them win.

PSV 0-0 Rangers
PSV 0-1 against Osijek(Barisic penalty)
Feyenoord 2-2 Rangers
Ajax 0-2 Willem II last night

The Feyenoord atmosphere blows the others out the water in all honesty, but in terms of grandeur and prestige etc Ajax win. PSV would be a distant 3rd for me in the all round experience.

Cheers for that mate.

Looking at that clip, it says welcome to Bayern Munich? Would that perhaps mean that they're looking at him or is it just standard youtube pish?

Would love to see the highlights back from last night. The boy just caught the eye every time he got the ball. I hope he shows up as well as he seemed to.

If others aren't onto this kid I'd love to see us try and get him. His pace last night was absolutely devastating at times.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him end up at Ajax.

Not sure mate, had a quick google but there's not much info out there. Probably just a fan boy thing for whoever made the video.

Certainly seems like an interesting prospect. You'd hope the structure we have in place now will already know about these types of players.

Cheers for the info mate. I wasn’t aware of that.
It was nice to complete the set of being to Holland’s big 3 grounds now.

Incidentally I’ve been to 4 games and never seen any of them win.

PSV 0-0 Rangers
PSV 0-1 against Osijek(Barisic penalty)
Feyenoord 2-2 Rangers
Ajax 0-2 Willem II last night

The Feyenoord atmosphere blows the others out the water in all honesty, but in terms of grandeur and prestige etc Ajax win. PSV would be a distant 3rd for me in the all round experience.

A beam back was organised at Willems stadium to watch the match.

Only been to Feyenoords Stadium myself, didn't even visit the Johan Cruyff arena when over the other week.

Good post. I’ve always liked Ajax and been fascinated by how they have a conveyor belt of such good players. Would like to take in a game sometime
Not sure mate, had a quick google but there's not much info out there. Probably just a fan boy thing for whoever made the video.

Certainly seems like an interesting prospect. You'd hope the structure we have in place now will already know about these types of players.
[/

Anyway, onto the game.

Mike Tresor Ndayishiyime - Willem II

have a drink ffs lol

I seen Daley Blind playing for Ajax in their number 6 role (sort of holding midfield) prior to his Man Utd move. He looked like he'd become an absolute world beater and I think that at times, the relatively lower standard of the Dutch teams outside of the big ones makes it hard to judge how good they might be in tougher leagues. As you've already noted, it's probably the lack of pace that stopped him from being that kind of player at the very highest level in the game and eventually shifted to left back.

have a drink ffs lol

:)) :))

It's always about the football for me mate, you know that.

I was driving straight there from work, then home again afterwards and up for work at 6am this morning. Hangovers and all that comes with them is a thing of the past for me mate. Till tomorrow. When I've got the day off to watch the game!:))

I seen Daley Blind playing for Ajax in their number 6 role (sort of holding midfield) prior to his Man Utd move. He looked like he'd become an absolute world beater and I think that at times, the relatively lower standard of the Dutch teams outside of the big ones makes it hard to judge how good they might be in tougher leagues. As you've already noted, it's probably the lack of pace that stopped him from being that kind of player at the very highest level in the game and eventually shifted to left back.
He strolled it last night, although as I said can get done easily for pace. He's so tidy and composed though.
Another noticeable thing last night was that there was just no shite involved in the game. No barging or smashing people or overly physical nonsense. Both teams just played football within the laws of the game and even though one team was attacking and the other defending, it was all about the football. Willem defended for their lives, but just fairly and cleanly.

Did the tour last Friday while over there, the perplex screen is bulletproof so at least you were safe :))

The guide was good, but for all the emphasis they put on youth development, I found it strange he barely mentioned ‘the academy.’

The next big thing will be Ryan Gravenberch apparently
I was about to post the same about the "perspex".

I idi the tour about 15 years ago and they said it was to stop away fans throwing things onto the home support.

I don't know if it is still the same but the ground isnt owned by Ajax, but is local authority owned.

This would explain the facilities attached, shops, restaurants parking and transport links.

Went to an international match there, great set up around the stadium. Plenty of choices for eating & drinking. Fan zones and for the size of the crowd, easy to get about.
Went to the training centre, very impressive. Watched a youth game had lunch and got talking to some locals who were very friendly.

Cheers for that. Doesn’t show him much at all really which is disappointing. Also, I thought it was him who streaked away and got brought down for the penalty, but I see from the highlights that it was the number 7, so I was wrong there!

All the Ajax fans I met over in Amsterdam last week were fantastic with us, everyone of them absolutely hated Feyenoord and Celtic!

Had to pay a visit to the club shop, even there they were talking about Rangers fans in town!

Was at Feyenoord last week asked some of their fans what it’s like when Ajax come they said they don’t come can’t understand that,

Back