Watching a rerun of Sparta Prague match - did Hagi have someone else’s boots on?

The Shadow

Apart from setting up the first goal I thought he was poor. Tripped over his own feet several times, at one point when we were on the break in the first half he simply fell backwards off the ball, giving up possession.

Hopefully just a blip, but I’m sure GVB and his team will be keeping an eye on it.

It was strange for someone of his technical ability, I'm assuming he was told to focus less on the ball and more on other players' runs and movements, when he fell backwards that time he was clearly waiting to fire in a fast pass and was waiting on a run, which never came

Apart from setting up the first goal I thought he was poor. Tripped over his own feet several times, at one point when we were on the break in the first half he simply fell backwards off the ball, giving up possession.

Hopefully just a blip, but I’m sure GVB and his team will be keeping an eye on it.
If Hagi had more ability, he wouldn't be playing in Scotland.

Delivers numbers week in week out. One assist on Thursday and would've had two if Aribo hadn't missed an open goal.

On a slightly different note, Bassey played really well, good positioning and played some excellent passes out of defence. I also noticed he doesn’t seem to be much shorter than Conor Goldson.

Have we found his ideal position?

Trying too hard to impress, he’ll relax into the demands expected of Gio. Smashing player who still came up with an assist even playing poorly
100% agree. He does have lapses in games but he is always capable of picking out a killer pass when it matters. His assist record was pretty good last season I think.

Apart from setting up the goal and setting up a great chance that Aribo should have buried. Honestly, can’t we ever cut any player some slack?
I hardly ever criticise players, if ever tbh.

It just became more apparent when it happened for the 3rd time in the match.

Not sure what the issue was, perhaps getting used to a different style of play as another poster alluded to above?

Trying too hard to impress, he’ll relax into the demands expected of Gio. Smashing player who still came up with an assist even playing poorly
This for me, a sign of a quality player, who can be having a nightmare, yet still stretches that extra bit to reach the loose ball, even more impressive is that he managed to make an assist out of it,
One my favourite players, so I was glad he got picked for Gio’s first team.

Assisted our goal and created our best other chance of the game.

I wish some of our other players could get close to being as decisive in the final third as he is even when not on top form.

Correct mate, one of our most creative players, would always be in my first eleven.

I’ve done that wee fall hundreds of times, went to play a pass but changed my mind at the last second and lost my balance.

Look like a right mug :))

Anyway, he can fall, slide, tap dance, hit the first man with corners all he wants for me.

More often than not guarantees one big chance a game, he created two the other night and wasn’t even at his best.

Last edited:
On a slightly different note, Bassey played really well, good positioning and played some excellent passes out of defence. I also noticed he doesn’t seem to be much shorter than Conor Goldson.

I agree he was good in Thursday, but previously games I've seen him centre half I would prefer him at left back. Although maybe Gio and the coaching staff could work with him to turn him into a centre half. Not sure IMO.

He's not good enough in the air to be a central defender, LB is his position. although he did have a good game on Thursday.

I think Hagi will kick on under Gio, he will thrive in the Aribo role should Aribo move on. Hagi seemed to be his 'quarterback' Thursday night. He was the one coming to the sidelines taking the manager's instructions for team changes.
Cant fault his effort. Another assist too

I feel like the same thing happened to him the other week? can't remember exactly what game at Ibrox it was though

I noticed that too. Seemed to be misjudging, then pulling up or falling over on a few occasions.

He did the hard parts well and made a complete mess of some of the easier parts.

One thing he didn’t do was hide.

I’ve a feeling Hagi will like GVB and in turn GVB will like Hagi.

I’ve done that wee fall hundreds of times, went to play a pass but changed my mind at the last second and lost my balance.

Look like a right mug :))

Anyway, he can fall, slide, tap dance, hit the first man with corners all he wants for me.

More often than not guarantees one big chance a game, he created two the other night and wasn’t even at his best.

Wasn’t it his through ball for the Kent 1on1 with the keeper ?

Out on the right isn't really great, it'll zap his stamina but needs must. He always gets involved and his assist and goal tally is fantastic.

Mental how Hagi can have a pisser yet still have a huge effect on games, can't say that about Kent.

If he's delivering on what wins us games, surely folk need to cut him slack?

Set up all of our chances on the night despite not being at his best.

Apart from setting up the goal and setting up a great chance that Aribo should have buried. Honestly, can’t we ever cut any player some slack?
Are you insane? There's been quite a few negative threads about the sparta game and considering it's a victory over a Czech team after 4 recent attempts, I'll take that.

I was honestly surprised that he hadn't changed them for the second half. The first thing he done was to slip on his erse.

Definitely needs to choose his footwear more carefully.
Tav slips more than anyone else in our team. Thankfully it usually happens up the park in a “safe” position. Guaranteed he’ll slip at some point against Livi.

Hagi needs a run of games, he is only getting subs appearances and would benefit from having a run of a few 90 minutes under his belt. I think this was mainly what caused his errors, just a case of having less minutes in the legs than rest of the team, Plus the game is different coming on later in a game rather than playing from the off. I would imagine that Gio and Co will have a more intensive training regime set up for him.

Hagi had a good game I thought. Some people seem to want to bash a player but no one deserved to be bashed v Sparta, everyone was good. He was really tenacious in setting up the opener.

I think he was guilty of trying to hard to impress .
Hagi can't fault his effort though.
I honestly thought he wasn't contributing much until he went off for Paterson, which we ask found strange but the fans changed for the worse when he went off so his running was making a difference

I honestly thought he wasn't contributing much until he went off for Paterson, which we ask found strange but the fans changed for the worse when he went off so his running was making a difference
His desire to win the ball set up Morelos for his first

He can be a frustrating player but there is enough there I think for Gio to work with and hopefully improve his game

A valuable member of the squad

Some awkward moments but overall he did well.

Back