Watching a rerun of Sparta Prague match - did Hagi have someone else’s boots on?

All about opinions,you are obviously happy with his contribution to the team as a bit part player.I on the other hand am not.If he was half the player you’re making out he would be starting regularly for us.The evidence would suggest otherwise.

I think you’re right as to why he doesn’t start more regularly to be honest.

I still think it’s good that we have a range of guys who can hurt teams, and we can rotate them, including from the bench, as matches dictate.

Over a season we need that depth.

In saying that, if we get offers over 10m for Hagi or Aribo in January, I wouldn’t rule the club out from accepting.

I think you’re right as to why he doesn’t start more regularly to be honest.

I still think it’s good that we have a range of guys who can hurt teams, and we can rotate them, including from the bench, as matches dictate.

Over a season we need that depth.

In saying that, if we get offers over 10m for Hagi or Aribo in January, I wouldn’t rule the club out from accepting.
No way we are getting anywhere near $10m for Hagi

Right now he is a $3m player

• Wow
Reactions: Moz
No way we are getting anywhere near $10m for Hagi

Right now he is a $3m player

I disagree, but if you’re right, we don’t sell him. He’s worth more than that to us.

He’s 23yo, so has plenty of scope for improvement.

I thought I read that Lyon were tracking him. They won’t be expecting to bid 3m I’d suggest.

I’m sure time will tell.

I still can’t make my mind up on Hagi.

On one hand, his stats are fairly good, and he has shown many glimpses of talent over the last few years.

However, I feel that, apart from often falling out of games, he loses possession too often. I don’t know whether his main problem is decision making or a slight lack of pace both with and without the ball, but our attacks often slow or break down through him.

Its almost as if he has it in his locker to be exceptional, which he can be on occasion, but just can’t quite piece it together on a consistent basis.

I still can’t make my mind up on Hagi.

On one hand, his stats are fairly good, and he has shown many glimpses of talent over the last few years.

However, I feel that, apart from often falling out of games, he loses possession too often. I don’t know whether his main problem is decision making or a slight lack of pace both with and without the ball, but our attacks often slow or break down through him.

Its almost as if he has it in his locker to be exceptional, which he can be on occasion, but just can’t quite piece it together on a consistent basis.

We had this very discussion walking up the road on Thursday night D.

To be fair, he could have had 3 assists, despite losing possession cheaply a number of times.

All about opinions,you are obviously happy with his contribution to the team as a bit part player.I on the other hand am not.If he was half the player you’re making out he would be starting regularly for us.The evidence would suggest otherwise.
What exactly are you expecting?

Not convinced there’s a middle ground with him

Either poor or good.

Other night he done well for the assist but aside from that, gave the ball away numerous times in good positions and was falling over the ball etc.

A bit of a conundrum.
No doubt about it, the lad has skill.
His vision for a pass is top notch.
2 footed.
But.......lacks pace and not the most physical.

At times he looks a world beater and other times no betterthan average.

We had this very discussion walking up the road on Thursday night D.

To be fair, he could have had 3 assists, despite losing possession cheaply a number of times.
That’s the thing G, it feels a bit harsh highlighting his flaws when his stats show he is an effective player, and it might be that we put up with any deficiencies as long as he is creating chances or scoring (which creative players do tend to get away with a bit more than others). Clubs would be interested in him based on his figures and potential though, and I think a lot of us would be tempted to cash in if we were ever to get a good offer.

That’s the thing G, it feels a bit harsh highlighting his flaws when his stats show he is an effective player, and it might be that we put up with any deficiencies as long as he is creating chances or scoring (which creative players do tend to get away with a bit more than others). Clubs would be interested in him based on his figures and potential though, and I think a lot of us would be tempted to cash in if we were ever to get a good offer.

Yes, that’s exactly the dilemma I would guess Gio will have D.

I’m wondering if theyll want a stronger, pacier option ? Or do Kent & Wright tick that box ?

Last edited:
Rangers fans: “We need someone to play killer passes, and break down defences”.

Also Rangers fans: “Too slow and lightweight”.

Christ, Hagi is the player we were crying out for the first two seasons under Gerrard. The amount of chances he creates is ridiculous, there’s a couple of others I’d be selling before him.

I agree. Hagi can spot a pass that others can’t. He’s a smart player, always forward looking and always positive. We need that in the team and I think we should both keep him and start him more often.

For me, if Gio continues with the 4-2-3-1 formation he played v Sparta, I’d have Hagi in the middle of the 3, performing a true #10 role. That’s where we’ll get the best from his undoubted talents in my opinion, not out wide.

What does Aribo bring that Hagi doesnt?

Aribo is a better player, he’s much better physically/athletically and he can play in a few different positions (and play them well).

Aribo is a far better player than Hagi (IMO) but Hagi has an end product (goals/assists) that Aribo can’t/doesn’t match.

What does Aribo bring that Hagi doesnt?
He‘s been one of our better players during our period of not playing well.Does more on the ball and is more creative than Hagi when going forward.Also holds down a starting place due to this.
I sometimes wonder if some people are watching the same players as me.Seems to be plenty of happy clapping Hagi fanboys on here.

No idea why we keep playing him from a wide starting position.

I’m a big fan of Hagi on form, but he’s without doubt one of the first sellable assets if we continue to play a system without a natural number ten.

He‘s been one of our better players during our period of not playing well.Does more on the ball and is more creative than Hagi when going forward.Also holds down a starting place due to this.
I sometimes wonder if some people are watching the same players as me.Seems to be plenty of happy clapping Hagi fanboys on here.
I like Aribo, cracking player and would always be in my team. I also like Hagi who I would also play in my team. However, one looks better than the other, but the other one gives more in terms of assists and goals to the team.

I’m a Rangers fan boy, I want all players to do well, some just pick their favourites.

Hagi really needs to get the basics right first and foremost.

He can do the sublime and pick passes others couldn't even see but can't pass a ball 5 yards or control a simple pass sometimes.

He gets cut too much slack on that front imo because he can create a goal out of nothing but he breaks our play down an awful lot and if he doesn't find that pass or goal then he is a man down imo.

He needs to quicken his feet and relax in his head. I get the impression he's at times overloading himself with options, picking the best one to suit the teammates in his vision and executing it quickly.

Does more on the ball and is more creative than Hagi when going forward.
This just isn’t true.

I hate using stats all the time without context but Hagi creates more chances, creates better chances and as a result ends up with more assists.

Hagi 20/21 - 2700 minutes - 7 goals - 15 assists
Aribo 20/21 3100 minutes - 8 goals - 7 assists

Hagi 21/22 - 1100 minutes - 3 goals - 4 assists
Aribo 21/22 - 2000 minutes - 3 goals - 3 assists

Aribo is a better ball carrier than Hagi, but isn’t anywhere near as creative. He’s also almost three years older, he should be a more developed player.

I wouldn’t disagree that Aribo has been one on our best players this season, but Hagi isn’t massively far behind either.

Put it this way, if I could only start one then it would be Hagi every day. All the silky touches and body feints are irrelevant if you don’t do anything with the it.

Last edited:
This just isn’t true.

I hate using stats all the time without context but Hagi creates more chances, creates better chances and as a result ends up with more assists.

Hagi 20/21 - 2700 minutes - 7 goals - 15 assists
Aribo 20/21 3100 minutes - 8 goals - 7 assists

Hagi 21/22 - 1100 minutes - 3 goals - 4 assists
Aribo 21/22 - 2000 minutes - 3 goals - 3 assists

Aribo is a better ball carrier than Hagi, but isn’t anywhere near as creative. He’s also almost three years older, he should be a more developed player.

I wouldn’t disagree that Aribo has been one on our best players this season, but Hagi isn’t massively far behind either.

Put it this way, if I could only start one then it would be Hagi every day. All the silky touches and body feints are irrelevant if you don’t do anything with the it.
You can use stats to frame a picture any way you want.What you can’t change is perception and some fans just don’t think Hagi gives enough with the talent he has.Hope the young man goes on to have a great game today and bags a few goals.Have a nice day.

Back