We’ve come a long way...

Dumfries Bear

Over the last few years we have had issues with transfer targets, starting XI’s, dressing room issues being leaked to the media and hindering the club on many fronts.

I feel that the signing of Filip Helander signifies the end of a period of work from our club and management team to rectify these issues. If the manager had not mentioned a potential CB signing in the media post-match on Tuesday we would have been none the wiser until it was reported in Swedish media in the days that followed.

We have come tremendously far as a club over the last 12 months and it is very encouraging to see. Hopefully this year we see that translate to tangible success on the park.

Many people take for granted where we are at this moment ....

Never forget where we have been.....

We spent 5 years without European football so lets give the club every positive backing that we can this season and bring the Championship back home.

The guys behind the scenes are doing their bit , lets do ours as a support for the players and club.

After all , it's us that reap the benefits .

in the group stages of Europa league last season. Remember at Ibrox overhearing the lads behind me complaining about not getting through. I was standing there thinking bloody hell mate 3 years ago we were playing against the likes Alloa and Greenock Morton look at how far we have come. But it seems to be getting even better and better for this season

55 is coming:))

We have had to battle, scrape and scratch our way back to where we are now in the face of ridiculous odds stacked against us. The whole of Scottish football set against allowing us to recover, from the likes of the spoon burners not dealing with us over Scott Allen to referees sending people off for celebrating a goal, through the spiv years to Ally’s karaoke. We’re now in a place where we are the most professionally run club in the country, were singing a multi million pound defender, we almost expect to make the groups of the Europa League and 55 is a very real and tantalising prospect.

Enjoy 55 when it happens Bears because it’s been bloody hard earned!

Over the last few years we have had issues with transfer targets, starting XI’s, dressing room issues being leaked to the media and hindering the club on many fronts.

I feel that the signing of Filip Helander signifies the end of a period of work from our club and management team to rectify these issues. If the manager had not mentioned a potential CB signing in the media post-match on Tuesday we would have been none the wiser until it was reported in Swedish media in the days that followed.

We have come tremendously far as a club over the last 12 months and it is very encouraging to see. Hopefully this year we see that translate to tangible success on the park.
Well said, we have came a very long way in a short time and and the likely signing of Filip Helander reinforces that. With SG, the calibre of the playing squad now, the work at Ibrox etc our club is really getting to where it should be.

I saw George Letham wondering up to the ground with his mates on tuesday, the guy who nailed Laxey, started it all, threw in his hard earned and has just converted his soft loans along with his mates. It should never be under estimated what proper Rangers men like King, Park, Letham, Taylor and all have done for our club. Just supporters like the rest of us who have used their wealth to haul our club up from the depths. With our continual selling out of STs and every game you can just feel the entire Rangers family is doing their bit and 55 is coming.

Hard to believe that we were losing to one man and his dog at Stirling just a few short years ago.

That has to happen! A trophy less season 19/20 simply isn't an option.

Anyone got a note of the starting 11 & bench that day back at Brechin?
Would make for a great compare&contrast to what we have available now.
From old BBC report :

Rangers: Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra, Broadfoot, Wallace, McKay (Naismith 96), Black, Hutton, Macleod, Little (Crawford 111), McCulloch. Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Cole.
Booked: Little, Black.
Goals: Little 4, McCulloch 102.
Att: 4,123
Ref: George Salmond

That night outside the Main Stand doors, while our beloved Rangers played inside on a freezing, snowy night, doing anything we could to stop security over Ibrox being signed over.

I will never forget that night as long as I live.

Right now feels like dreamland in comparison and we haven't even won anything yet.
Or marching with Sandy to Hampden.

Brechin: Andrews, McLean, Moyes, McLauchlan, Brown, Ryan Stewart (Jonathan Stewart 82), Brady, Molloy, Carcary (Dalziel 62), McKenna (Fusco 111), Jackson. Subs Not Used: Nelson, Murdoch.

Booked: Ryan Stewart, McLean, Moyes.

Goals: Jackson 43.

Rangers: Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra, Broadfoot, Wallace, McKay (Naismith 96), Black, Hutton, Macleod, Little (Crawford 111), McCulloch. Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Cole.

We've came nowhere.

Three wins over the filth in three years.

Humiliations at the hands of the filth, that will be remembered and regurgitated forever.

Let's win something and take it from there.

FFS, Juve were sent packing and were back playing against the best in the same time as we've been kidding ourselves on.

And yes, there were different restrictions and hatred involved.

We've came nowhere.

Humiliations at the hands of the filth, that will be remembered and regurgitated forever.

FFS, Juve were sent packing and were back playing against the best in the same time as we've been kidding ourselves on.

I have actually never heard anything more stupid , like my brain cannot fathom that you just said we came nowhere

We've came nowhere.

If I remember correctly Juve were relegated 1 division by way of points deduction - kept most of their best players and went straight back up

Winning #55 will be one of the greatest stories in the history of British football, but the Scottish media won't see it that way.

Well - Fuck them! :))

From old BBC report :

Would only have taken Boca (back then) into team we have now

We've came nowhere.

The Gub is back:))

Would only have taken Boca (back then) into team we have now

Despite how shite that team is at the time there was 6 full internationals playing - United States captain Carlos Bocanegra and Romania international Dorin Goian were in defence, while Scotland internationals McCulloch, Neil Alexander, Lee Wallace and Kirk Broadfoot also started.

I think what our friend means is that we are 'back' when we are winning again and this is still the journey.

We've came nowhere.

What a lot of absolute pish. Have a word with yourself.

Juve went down 1 division and kept the likes of Buffon, Chiellini, Nedved, Del Piero, Trezeguet and if I'm not mistaken Boumsong played with them as well.

Match report of the first game back vs Brechin from BBC (first one that cane up)

The new Rangers started life outside the top flight of Scottish football with a victory over Brechin City - but only after extra time at Glebe Park.
It looked like they would stroll to victory in the first round of the Ramsdens Cup when Andy Little fired them ahead after four minutes.
Andy Jackson, though, pounced on a defensive error to slot the equaliser two minutes before half-time.

But Lee McCulloch, who set up the opener, headed in after 102 minutes.Rangers' first appearance in the Challenge Cup - the competition for senior clubs outside of the Scottish Premier League - followed the old club's financial meltdown.

However, despite the exit of a number of top players unwilling to play in Division Three this season, the new Rangers created by Charles Green's consortium still featured some familiar faces.

United States captain Carlos Bocanegra and Romania international Dorin Goian were in defence, while Scotland internationals McCulloch, Neil Alexander, Lee Wallace and Kirk Broadfoot also started.

Receipt of a Scottish Football Association membership, albeit temporary because of continuing negotiations over conditions of entry, had gone to the wire on Friday.
It meant that their first signings - former Hearts midfielder Ian Black and returning forward Little - had to be listed as trialists, while manager Ally McCoist could only muster enough personnel to fill four of the five substitutes places.
Lewis MacLeod, an 18-year-old midfielder, was handed a first-team debut, while 17-year-old forward Barrie McKay made his first start and was the first to threaten with a dipping long-range drive that slipped just over the crossbar.
Rangers' visit had ensured a sell-out crowd and the visitors' loyal following were given early cause to cheer when veteran McCulloch set up Little for the opener.

The Northern Ireland striker had already tested Brechin goalkeeper Michael Andrews with a low drive and this time flicked it beyond the summer signing from Montrose.
Craig Molloy forced Alexander into a good save with a low drive following some slackness from Wallace, but the flow of pressure was on the Brechin goal for most of the first half.

Andrews saved well from Broadfoot and Wallace, while Little had a decent shout for a penalty rejected by referee George Salmond following a challenge from behind by Johnny Brown.

Brechin survived and, when Broadfoot mis-judged a header, new Brechin signing Jackson held off a half-hearted challenge from Goian and rolled the ball under Alexander.

Rangers looked understandably rusty considering the lack of an SFA membership had prevented them playing pre-season friendlies.
Molloy should have done better than volley over the visitors' crossbar from 12 yards shortly after the break.

However, as the summer rain swept across Glebe Park, it was the Second Division part-timers whose stamina was being tested as Rangers lay siege on the Brechin goal.
McKay had a close-range effort deflected over and there were strong claims for a penalty as a McCulloch drive struck Paul McLean's arm.
Brechin continued to hang on to their dream of a famous victory into added time and went close themselves through a David McKenna drive that was deflected just over.
However, McCulloch rose to power a header into the net from a MacLeod corner to give Rangers a winning start to their adventure under the auspices of the Scottish Football League.

Brechin: Andrews, McLean, Moyes, McLauchlan, Brown, Ryan Stewart (Jonathan Stewart 82), Brady, Molloy, Carcary (Dalziel 62), McKenna (Fusco 111), Jackson. Subs Not Used: Nelson, Murdoch.
Booked: Ryan Stewart, McLean, Moyes.

Goals: Jackson 43.

Last edited:
We've came nowhere.

Stop snorting lines of retard.

We've came nowhere.

You do make a valid point of fact re not wining anything YET, but doesn't negate the OP's point, we HAVE come a long way from previous few years, admittedly we did made some huge cock ups along the way, but Mr King and the new board have got us back on track and the appointment of Stevie G looks to be a masterstroke, huge strides have been made and this year may prove to be our best far a long long time

what gets us there in your view?
Silverware, and a team which realistically has a chance (not favourites but equal chance) of being champions. At the moment we still suspect we will need some luck, and some favours...I would like to see us start a season with "No reason why not, seems perfectly realistic to win title".

We are in a great place just now, and this is more just a question of fascination I have.

I do sometimes wonder if we would have got further quicker if we had kept McCall....

I think he would have been a steadier hand than Warburton and reached a far more natural exit than the turbulence and waste we had to endure with both Waburton and Pedro - i do think we would have just been in the same place we were when both left but likely on firmer ground, with less waste.

Silverware, and a team which realistically has a chance (not favourites but equal chance) of being champions. At the moment we still suspect we will need some luck, and some favours...I would like to see us start a season with "No reason why not, seems perfectly realistic to win title".
Simple for me and thats winning the league nothing more or less, although he Europa might come a close second

We are in a great place just now, and this is more just a question of fascination I have.

I do sometimes wonder if we would have got further quicker if we had kept McCall....

I think he would have been a steadier hand than Warburton and reached a far more natural exit than the turbulence and waste we had to endure with both Waburton and Pedro - i do think we would have just been in the same place we were when both left but likely on firmer ground, with less waste.

We have just finished a season nine points behind a dreadful lot across the city who have now gathered nine trophies on the trot.

But we're in a good place?

Of course we need optimism, but let's keep it in check.

Of course nothing can be set in stone after four league games, but the first four next month can lay down a marker.

Basically our league challenge was in tatters after our first four away league games last season. We were always on the catch up.

Even when we got back in the frame (of sorts) by the turn of the year we still managed to muck that up immediately after the break.

Everyone was coming in their panties three years ago getting back up and a win over the filth in the SC semi final. It was the falsest of false dawns.

Do I believe in the gaffer? Yes I do. But the amount of let downs last season make me think, lets get that first trophy and we go and grow from there.

So I will repeat, we have done nothing yet.

We have just finished a season nine points behind a dreadful lot across the city who have now gathered nine trophies on the trot.

Of course nothing can be set in stone after four league games, but the first four next month can lay down a marker.

Basically our league challenge was in tatters after our first four away league games last season. We were always on the catch up.

Even when we got back in the frame (of sorts) by the turn of the year we still managed to muck that up immediately after the break.

Everyone was coming in their panties three years ago getting back up and a win over the filth in the SC semi final. It was the falsest of false dawns.

Do I believe in the gaffer? Yes I do. But the amount of let downs last season make me think, lets get that first trophy and we go and grow from there.

I went with great rather than good in the context of this thread.

Grand that you think all the things in your post , I don't like, but cool for you.

We have had to battle, scrape and scratch our way back to where we are now in the face of ridiculous odds stacked against us. The whole of Scottish football set against allowing us to recover, from the likes of the spoon burners not dealing with us over Scott Allen to referees sending people off for celebrating a goal, through the spiv years to Ally’s karaoke. We’re now in a place where we are the most professionally run club in the country, were singing a multi million pound defender, we almost expect to make the groups of the Europa League and 55 is a very real and tantalising prospect.

Enjoy 55 when it happens Bears because it’s been bloody hard earned!

Post of the fukin year my friend.

I'm confident Stevie G will deliver 55 this season. A long way you better believe it, but when we are champions next year.......the mother of all parties.

We've came nowhere.

Given the state of the club, I reckon we have came a long way. Over the piece the whole club was decimated, all our assets lost, illegal transfer embargos, monies confiscated, we were rudderless, run by thieves, had no players, virtually no ground staff and were 48 hours from never playing football again. We were on life support and every man and his dog trying to kill us.

I agree we have a bit to go, but saying today "we've come nowhere" is simply not true. But if your idea of getting somewhere is winning something as you say, fair dos. We have done fucking nothing.

And to compare us to the slap on the wrist Juventus got is a load of horseshit. Different restrictions? An altogether different scenario with very limited consequences and Juventus were protected because the Italians knew their league needed them but had to be seen to do something.

Tbh you're not stating nothing new. I'm sure we all know our failures and try keep our powder dry, but to say we haven't moved on from the constant off field nonsense and media reporting on absolute negativity on a constant is mental. It has probably taken longer than we all hoped to get to a stage where we can honestly say we're ready to challenge, and I'd say to all our doubters write us off at your own peril

Back