We All Had This Ball

I remember getting hit straight in the solar plexus with a mouldmaster from a volley about 2yds away. I think it was probably about minus 2 that day. As I lay there trying to stop inhaling my internal organs on hard freezing grass I questioned my life choices. I think I got lifted off to the touchline greetin so the game could carry on. Needless to say sympathy was non existent as everyone (including my older brother) thought it was f Ucking hilarious. In hindsight they were probably right.

Been scudded in the ear by them a few times too and had a hot ear for the rest of the game.

Worst ever was going for a header and sclaffing it. It was like taking 40grit to your forehead with the associated brain injury.

28rf4me.jpg

The mouldmaster we used for the school team didn't have the fancy design of the orange one above just this white one in the picture.
Hated those footballs,playing on a rockhard red ash pitch on a saturday morning in the winter when you get scudded with one of those was not a great school memory

That’s the ones I remember.

I saw a guy take one full force on the nose, what a fucking mess it made:))
Saw one of someone’s ear, it was fucking glowing for hours.
Took one myself on inner thigh On a gravel pitch in January.

An item of medieval torture.

We couldn’t afford a ball had to use a old can lol ,
Oh them pics off balls on here wow
When football was football , Jesus it’s nearly non contact now , glad I played when I did when it was a mans game

Used tae knock the orange mitre 5s fae PE, sure I’ve still got a mitre tattoo on my thigh along wae the red ash implanted in my knee caps !

At PE boot the ball over a fence as far as possible when teacher isn’t looking, after school head into the woods to retrieve it. A decent ball and a helluva lot better that the winfield Woolworths ball my maw bought me

Is that got the old lace on it,like the old bladder,when it got wet you couldn't even kick it,in the 1950's they asked the then rangers centre forward Willie Thornton who was the "best crosser of a ball"he said Willie waddell,when asked why he retorted"when he crossed it he used to keep the lace away from my head"

I would be playing under 11s up against a guy 6 ft 3 with a beard meant to be the same age!! The mouldmaster was always inflated to about 2500 psi, when it hit you ther ealways seemed like a slight delay before the pain.

Plus when it was over inflated and one of them big bearded ba$tard$ smashed it off you, you can hear the ping off it like a perfectly driven golf ball, then the flash happens and you realise that you've just taken one in the side of the head.

Bladders, Mouldmasters, coal dust pitches, red-ash blaize. It's a wonder Scotland ever turned out decent players in those days, but it's probable that more quality Scottish players came out of that era than since.

That’s the ones I remember.

I saw a guy take one full force on the nose, what a fucking mess it made:))
Saw one of someone’s ear, it was fucking glowing for hours.
Took one myself on inner thigh On a gravel pitch in January.

An item of medieval torture.
Was that me by any chance... Broken nose, blood everywhere, dizzy, couldn’t even play on. Playing for Glenwood at the time.

Posh caants.

My ball was this plastic job, in orange.

wembleycaptain.jpg

Which was fine until it went over the wall, into a neighbours garden that had two terrier dugs who made light work of ripping it to bits.

I love this. Me too. I never even had a "real" fitba kit, it was always something "similar" using Embassy Coupons or Green Shield Stamps.

Posh caants.

My ball was this plastic job, in orange.

wembleycaptain.jpg

Which was fine until it went over the wall, into a neighbours garden that had two terrier dugs who made light work of ripping it to bits.
This was the ball we had at primary school until some bright spark decided a size 5 mitre would be a great idea :)) , going to high school and getting hit with a rock hard mould master on a winter's morning was still preferable to doing maths or geography though ;)

Whenever we had burst one of these we'd put a brick in it and sit it down aw padded out like it was fine and shout on strangers to kick it back to us. Luckily after they kicked it they were always to sore to catch us haha the good old days.

I can still remember the pain - when I played a game on the black ash pitch in Alexander Park at the cumbernauld / provanmill road gate - opposite what was the Rex cinema

I got hit square on the top of the thigh from about 6 ft away & it felt like someone had taken a blow torch to it
I staggered a couple of paces & got hit a 2nd time - didn't see it coming - bang in the stomach knocking all the air out of me - causing me to gasp & collapse onto my knees - only for the ball to be hit yet a 3rd time - maybe the hardest of all 3 - this time hitting me on the jaw

One of my team mates collected the ball in front of me & shouted 'get stuck right in Rab' as he ran up the pitch with the ball

I suspect I may have been used as target practice by the opposition - but like I say I can still remember the pain after almost 50 years

We couldn’t afford a ball had to use a old can lol ,
Oh them pics off balls on here wow
When football was football , Jesus it’s nearly non contact now , glad I played when I did when it was a mans game

And when it was too dark for the fitba' we played kick the can.

First ball i played with, it's a reproduction but by f*ck heading that lace hurt like hell.

That's the one. I was waiting for this one to appear. Just like the first one I played with, along with the studs that my Dad had to nail on my boots.
Years later, when George Best Stylo's were all the rare (crap though they were), my Dad insisted I had another pair of boots that were more like pit boots with studs (toecaps wernae steel though), as they were the kind he used to play with & like my first pair. Still got a school team photo of all the team in their fancy smart boots & me in my "pit bits".

Cold winters morning, skelped against your leg, red for two weeks.
13077-a44f563285066a431c943753461bac44.jpg
Now we are talking, probably 40+ years ago still remember it hitting the top of my leg from about 2 feet away mark lasted for days along with getting the belt. Things like this we need back instead of can't play football outside cause it's below 20 degrees or some shite. Paper thin tshirt and shorts that didn't fit you Ahh Happy Days

Two types of header with this ball -

Full contact which came with a shower of baw juice and if you never caught it full then ye got slashed.

Happy Days.

My jaw still clicks to this day after (stupidly) trying to block a kick out from the keeper with my face at a red blaes pitch in Kinning Park (maybe Partick) years ago. One of my many run-ins with the infamous Mouldmaster in the 80s. I can still hear the 'ping' as it slapped my face and rang in my ears for days.

That's the one. I was waiting for this one to appear. Just like the first one I played with, along with the studs that my Dad had to nail on my boots.
Years later, when George Best Stylo's were all the rare (crap though they were), my Dad insisted I had another pair of boots that were more like pit boots with studs (toecaps wernae steel though), as they were the kind he used to play with & like my first pair. Still got a school team photo of all the team in their fancy smart boots & me in my "pit bits".

Those studs you hammered in with nails hurt like feck, i was only able to toe end the ball, pit boots describes them to a T :))

my dug when I was a wean ended up with a neighbours ball, and if you tried to take it off him he would pretend growl he loved dropping it in my mum's pond and diving bombing the fish and then bring the ball into the house and dropping it on my mum carpet much to her annoyance.

You always got the prick with the delta.Great ball but hey look at me I've got money and can't actually play worth a %^*&.Upgrading from a mouldmaster to a dodgy acquired five a side ball was the dogs tho. Great times.

The mitre brings back memories,all bad ones unfortunately :mad:
Played on gravel ash pitches in the 50s with the leather ball. On some the laces had been torn and retied so many times it looked like the ball had piles hanging out. When you went to head it you prayed the laces would be on the other side.

Played on gravel ash pitches in the 50s with the leather ball. On some the laces had been torn and retied so many times it looked like the ball had piles hanging out. When you went to head it you prayed the laces would be on the other side.
Remember the leather ball when I was quite young,then the metre but the leather was worse but both very painful if hit in certain areas, but playing footie with your mates and at school were great fun as well.

Brings back good but painful memories lol although if we're all honest who remember kicking it off someone's back to watch them squirm in pain :D

Gola Speedsters?

Back