We all ok with Gio's get ahead and sit back approach?

Whist we got a goal & a freak penalty cost us full points our overall approach was way beyond negative
We were so negative in our play we actually allowed Clancy to have an impact on the game as we were constantly on the back foot giving him the opportunity to get involved with supposed fouls etc
To set up giving complete control of the central area of the park to the opposition was total madness & something I have never seen a Rangers team do before
Yes, we have set up defensively before but they had all the time in the world centrally without a Rangers player near them and at no point did we try to change this & control the game, Kamara & Sands were so interested in protecting the defence that we had virtually no control of the game & the attacking side of the team were totally isolated
I know we were missing central based players but it was as if we started the game without replacements & we chose to do that.
This really can't continue as it has happened to an extent at Easter Road & Tynecastle before tonight but at least in those games we competed centrally.
At least in those games we seemed to play ad a team when breaking- last night there was no cohesion at all throughout the team

Happened far too many times for me and we'll get caught out again and again

total garbage, we sit back from kick off in a flat back 4, pump the ball wide and hope for the best. We don’t wait until we go ahead. Tactically reminds me of big eck when he totally lost the plot at the end.

You have two weeks off your work then in your first game back you don't put in a shift. I find that unacceptable.
Where is our high press and will to win?
Who is kicking ass in the dressing room ? The captain won't do it, nor will the manager.

Everyone moaning about the way gio approached the game look at the players he had at his disposal for a start we were missing aribo arfield roofe Davis then chuck in your long term jack helander its always going to be tough but to have so many players missing it makes it even more tougher

The thing that annoys me about these tactics, is there is simply no need for it.
We are playing diddies, journeymen, and yesterday's men.
To not attack these teams is unforgivable.
Against most sides in the league, we really should be 3-0 up at half time, making subs, and seeing the game out.

The thing that annoys me about these tactics, is there is simply no need for it.
Against most sides in the league, we really should be 3-0 up at half time, making subs, and seeing the game out.
This is what worries me going forward. If we employ these tactics away from home I can see us not winning enough games on the road.
It's fair enough v a better team than us but against the likes of Aberdeen.

We got fortunate at Easter Road with the late penalty as we were hopeless that night too and didn’t look like scoring

Away to Livi after the early 2 goals we were utterly abysmal too

Home to Dundee Utd we were atrocious

Tonight was the worst of the lot though. Barely had a shot on goal and their keeper could have had the deckchair and cigar out for most of that game

Tynecastle we got fortunate with McGregor and them missing some decent chances
For 20 minutes in the first half Livingston was poor but we completely dominated them in the 2nd half and should have won by more. The narrative around Tynecastle is weird as well whilst they had chances Sakala misses a sitter at 1-0 and then Arfield misses 2 sitters in the 2nd half. Easter Road was poor but again one cleared off the line and a good save or poor finish from Ryan Kent depending on how you look at it.

Last night was poor but we couldn't really setup any differently given the injuries and Aribo missing. Outwith the goal we were terrible but we were rarely troubled either last night mcgregor had 2 simple saves early doors outwith that he had nothing to do. Lewis also pulled off a cracking save from Alfie near the end so maybe if he had that deck chair out we would have got the 3 points. A draw was probably a fair result last night anyway if you look at the game in a whole.

First dropped points in 9 games, away to Aberdeen in poor conditions and Ref that stopped the game repeatedly.

Was a poor performance don’t get me wrong, folk need to calm down ffs.

3-0 at HT.

Haha.

So far I’m not a huge fan of his tactics but I’ll give him a chance for key players to get fit and for him to get his players in before I dive in

We got fortunate at Easter Road with the late penalty as we were hopeless that night too and didn’t look like scoring

Tonight was the worst of the lot though. Barely had a shot on goal and their keeper could have had the deckchair and cigar out for most of that game

I know we've dropped points but it's laughable how people are making out that we've struggled in certain games under Gio or hung on for our life in them and got away with one.

Hibs - considering what happened in the semi final, 10 days before, Hibs never had one chance. Our attacking play could have been better, granted but it's a tough away fixture.

Livingston away - to say we were abysmal at 2-1 is nonsense. We were extremely comfortable in the 2nd half and must have had 85% possession and Livingston never created a single chance and then we get our 3rd and could have got more with chances for Arfield that he passed up.

Tynecastle - if we had won that match 4 or 5 nil, nobody would have had any complaints. Suddenly after last night, the Tynecastle performance was poor when it wasn't.

Dundee Utd - I'll give you that, it was rotten, too many players had an off day but we still won. If that game was 4 months ago, we'd have drew it.

You need two early
Goals for it to work

Crazy tactics

That Lundstram sub was up there with the worst I’ve seen
By Lundstram do you mean the managers decision to bring a defensive midfielder on? I personally thought he should have brought Sakala on for Wright and changed formation switching tactics!

Happened far too many times for me and we'll get caught out again and again

when we are winning games 2-0 and in control 100%

I think most people could see we were fortunate to be 1-0 up last night as we never really got started so to try and hang on to that for nearly 70 mins wasn't the best game plan - but we certainly didn't look like creating much either - so what else to do? as the gaffer says keep the zero ...

If we are 2-0 up against anyone in this league they either have to sit in to avoid a drubbing or they come out which will leave spaces for us to exploit on the counter.

I know we've dropped points but it's laughable how people are making out that we've struggled in certain games under Gio or hung on for our life in them and got away with one.

Hibs - considering what happened in the semi final, 10 days before, Hibs never had one chance. Our attacking play could have been better, granted but it's a tough away fixture.

Livingston away - to say we were abysmal at 2-1 is nonsense. We were extremely comfortable in the 2nd half and must have had 85% possession and Livingston never created a single chance and then we get our 3rd and could have got more with chances for Arfield that he passed up.

Tynecastle - if we had won that match 4 or 5 nil, nobody would have had any complaints. Suddenly after last night, the Tynecastle performance was poor when it wasn't.

Dundee Utd - I'll give you that, it was rotten, too many players had an off day but we still won. If that game was 4 months ago, we'd have drew it.
If folk cannot see the positive difference GVB has already made by now then they never will. I think most of the drivel clutching at the problem last night can be filed under I’m hurting more than you/my point is correct/more valid/we are Rangers and should win 4-0 and dominants every game pish

been saying this for years now but we need a younger fitter faster arfield type of player in midfield. Also our midfield needs to buck up its ideas, we dont dominate games in the middle of the pitch.

You rarely see any of the midfield go back and demand the ball from the defenders.

This is what worries me going forward. If we employ these tactics away from home I can see us not winning enough games on the road.
It's fair enough v a better team than us but against the likes of Aberdeen.
An Aberdeen with Bates and McCrorie at CH. A shaved ape as sitting midfielder. No, not good enough.

We have managed to find a coaching staff from Holland that have played at the top level and won the top prizes along with a guy that’s served his time with Ajax and they want to play football without the ball

Somethings not adding up here at all

He said himself he wasn’t happy with it yesterday. It wasn’t the plan, but our players showed no bravery or quality in possession last night. At that point all you can do is defend… which we actually did pretty well, but we invited way too much pressure by not controlling the ball.

We have 17 games left - there is very little chance we will win all of those. Avoiding defeat would likely see us win the league.

With a fair wind we wont be going back to Pittodrie - we have away days at the Piggery x 2 , Tynecastle and maybe Fir Park or Easter Road.

Buckle up your knickers for those - a draw in those games isn't the end of the world - and its not a bad a result as St Mirren away.

Next Wednesday they have Hearts away.

That’s the reality mate.
We definitely seem to be more passive and content not to dominate the ball.
I’d worry if those tactics continue.

Hard to read some of this thread.

Drop a few points with three first choice midfielders out and toys go out of the pram and history is rewritten to suit a narrative that is nonsense.

For those panicking and struggling with the result this is the first time we haven't won in the league under the Gio regime. Also this is exactly the same team, bar one loan signing, that was stale and limp under Gerrard. Does it suprise people the team are struggling from time to time?

New signings are needed but so is perspective by a few in here.

There is a time and a place for it. Not when you are 1-0 up with 65+ minutes to go.

If you listen to Giovanni van Bronckhorst he clearly wasn’t happy with it last night either.

Terrible set up,we are the team with the best and flair players and up to us to play our own game and let the others worry about us .Shocking performance all over the pitch and for a side with 2 holding mids,we couldn't hold the ball at all . Not good enough imo.
attack attack attack

I am not sure we can do that at Neverland Ranch and get anything at all but maybe there were reasons? We have to hope that last night's set up and performance weren't planned.

Nope ! Got away with it at Tynecastle, trying to hold on with 30 mins to go then bringing on another holding midfielder was shocking.
It was a poor decision, even in Scotland we’re not that good at holding a 1-0 lead at times.

Weirdly we play attacking line ups away from home yet never dominate.

Good at Hearts then shut up shop.

Nothing at Hibs but got a late penalty.

Gash tonight but probably should have won.

I know there are some on here who turn into banshees at any suggestion that we could be better in any aspect of anything. But this passivity in away games is not good. And won't work at the Piggery.
If we do we will be there for the taking for sure.

At 1-1 we were playing the same way. It was bizarre, as if we were happy to get a point.

We had 10 men in our own third while their defenders had it in their own half. It was like watching Ross County against us.

We haven't been great in the other tough away matches under Gio so far but got the results so can't complain.

Dropping points at Pittodrie isn't a disaster and you can win every game but the way we went about it was very poor.

Another issue is that the new system means full backs don't attack much and so we rely on wide players pinning back full backs, which isn't happening enough. That gives teams attacking options and width.

Domestically I’d much rather that we went for the jugular to kill off games before reverting to these tactics.
We’re inviting teams onto us and there have been more than a couple of occasions where the opposition could have scored a with better finishing.
It’s still early days for him so I’d hope we’d improve in time but we don’t really have that luxury in this title race.
Still confident but can’t have many repeat performances

Do we need an ex-Ranger on the coaching staff? A Scotsman who will tear a strip of the players if they ain't doing it. Think Archie Knox or John Brown type. I think the Dutchmen might be too laid back.

Livingston we were comfortable but after the early goals we were poor albeit Livingston were absolutely shocking although could have been level at HT had it not been for some decent saves by McGregor just before HT

Hibs - if we didn’t get that penalty we weren’t scoring. Could have played that game for days and still toiled to create anything of note

Hearts - we had a couple of additional chances but as did Hearts only for McGregor, some luck and poor finishing they could have scored 3 or 4 themselves

I'm fine with it. Same number of points for a 1-0 as any other win.
I’m not going to overreact to last nights dropped points like most on this thread have.

However…we didn’t win 1-0, we drew 1-1 because we tried to sit on a 1-0.

under gio we have

won at livingston
won at hibs
won at hearts

we wouldnt get 9 pts under gerrard the way we were going

our fans really are the most fickle around. 1 draw and 8 wins and we seriously have people questioning him and saying hes too defensive

did you see the defence and the issues they caused us under Gerrard this year?? Maybe Gio wanted to fix that first, which he quite clearly has done

I’d be ok with it if our forward players were capable of punishing teams on the counter. Something I hope they are working on in training. Kent, Hagi and Wright were so wasteful in possession last night.
Wright especially as Kent was getting double teamed. We didn't exploit the 'half spaces on inside channels as Borna didn't play high enough and Tav wasn't getting much luck so got pinned back.

Seems to be his way to try and defend a lead but does not our players styles,I'm getting a bit bored with it.
It also gives the opposition confidence, you could see Aberdeen growing in confidence the more we sat back. Bringing Lundstram on for Wright instead of Sakala was mental, we needed an outball.

The boom or bust on here is brutal.

I'm unhappy with last night, but I have to say I'm surprised to learn that we've actually been shite in the previous 7 league wins with 1 goal conceded under Gio.

One draw and it seems Gio is getting it in the neck already !
Not surprising, this place is full of absolute crackpots. We could win every game and drop points in one and people start losing their shit, it's unacceptable, won't win anything, yada yada. Our problems last night were more about our poor quality on the ball, slack passing, poor control. When the players are having a game like that, which has happened before, this season and last, you struggle to implement any tactics really.

Do we need an ex-Ranger on the coaching staff? A Scotsman who will tear a strip of the players if they ain't doing it. Think Archie Knox or John Brown type. I think the Dutchmen might be too laid back.
Someone like Van Bommel to sort out the midfield?

Back