We are a far better team when we play two games a week.

Agree with this. Most of our slumps have been when games are more spaced out. In Gerrards full tenure I’m talking about. However, this year we are winning the games instead of dropping points although the performances have dropped off

The league was won a month ago. The drop in our performance levels is frustrating but also totally understandable.

We will need to raise our game for next week or we will be in trouble. One last big push required from the players as if we win next week I can't see anyone else stopping us in the Scottish Cup.

I have thought this as well, I have heard SG say the guys do not train much when we have midweek games, not sure whether there is some kind of lull in performance levels when the team don't have game intensity so often?? Hopefully as above we have levels and hit top level and some next week :)

It’s natural to ease off after wrapping up the title, we just need to make sure we can up our game in the cup next week.

Unfortunately the brain is something that cannot be tinkered with and a natural malaise will set in no matter how hard they try for it not to.

I don't think we will have any problems next weekend though, our team fukin despise that mob and we will be on point all week.

Plus its a bonus that Gonzo is already doing our team talk for us.

We won today whilst being far from our best. We now have a team of winners

When we don't have a midweek match we seem more lethargic. Today was another good win but we just didn't seem to be as sharp as you would expect.

I feared the worse when we had a full week before we played Slavia Prague. It was the same. A lethargic performance.
Seems strange but noticed we are better when the games come thick and fast.

Not concerned. Why would you empty the tanks at the back end of a long season the week before a big cup game.
We’ll step it up next week.

Perhaps not the lack of two games a week, but that’s been a three week gap since our first eleven started, which can’t be good at this point of the season.

Our levels have dropped after winning the title. It’s always difficult to raise them back up, especially to the level we were at previously.

it will be all about attitude, desire and who wants it more. End their season Rangers.

We are a better team when we actually want to play attacking football and not play shitey safe passing, nothing to do with being tired.

We should be going gung ho against teams and using our full squad, not trying to protect an unbeaten record

Agreed we play better with game after game, we seem to react to the pressure.

I think that, along with the low amount of games we've had since winning the title we've lost a wee bit of edge. Though I think we'll be fine next week.

Agree however it would be a much bigger issue if we lost games because of it. Champions find a way to win and all that

I agree with the OP. I don’t want to say a lot of our players are confidence players because I don’t like the term but I do think our players build up momentum when we’re playing twice a week.

Obviously when the momentum and confidence is growing with each game then it’s great, that’s why we won 15 league games in a row earlier in the season.

Unfortunately it’s also went the other way with the post winter break “collapses” in Gerrards first two seasons when you can see the confidence drain out the players with each passing week.

I agree with the OP. I don’t want to say a lot of our players are confidence players because I don’t like the term but I do think our players build up momentum when we’re playing twice a week.

Obviously when the momentum and confidence is growing with each game then it’s great, that’s why we won 15 league games in a row earlier in the season.

Unfortunately it’s also went the other way with the post winter break “collapses” in Gerrards first two seasons when you can see the confidence drain out the players with each passing week.

And the loss to St Mirren where does that fit?

The team aren't robots -form has been off the scale remarkable and people are still bitching about a win against the third best team in the league.

We have a few injuries now, if we'd kept hard at it with 2 games per week, we could be on our knees.

No thankyou, I'm more than delighted with how the seasons played out. We're not the only team playing glorified friendlies now.

When we don't have a midweek match we seem more lethargic. Today was another good win but we just didn't seem to be as sharp as you would expect.

I feared the worse when we had a full week before we played Slavia Prague. It was the same. A lethargic performance.
Absolutely - when this team are on song they just need game after game... international breaks, winter breaks and a lack of cup games in midweek have been trouble for this team over the last couple of seasons.

I must say that I thought Hibs gave Rangers a good game today though - we were a bit rusty but we were given any number of challenges during the match.

I’d sooner see competitive games than walkover after walkover where you don’t see much competitive football. An unpopular view I’m sure.

eh don't know about that, I think we're better when there's something riding on the game, when your main goal has been achived so early then it's human nature to have a wee drop off in performance levels, the league games means nowt so it's hard to be on it when playing them

And the loss to St Mirren where does that fit?

The team aren't robots -form has been off the scale remarkable and people are still bitching about a win against the third best team in the league.

If you look at the game after against Motherwell we were really struggling and then finally managed to turn it around in the final 20 minutes. I think we all seen that game as, if not the most important win, one of the top 3 most important wins and I think it’s for the reasons I mentioned.

I know, I actually like the fact we can put in average performances now and win comfortably. I just don’t think it’s outrageous to say that I think we play better more regularly when we’re playing twice a week.

Back