We are a top CM and RW away from being a top team

KGR98

If we can get that midfielder who is head and shoulders above the rest to drive the rest up a gear and get a rw with similar attributes to Kent we could do the business this season hopefully if we make it through to the Groups we can upgrade these areas anyway if Galatasaray were thinking of taking us lightly they will be well aware of our threat now

Good on you OP!!

If you were on here on Sunday afternoon I would imagine you would have got pelters!!

Mentality mentality mentality

Joking aside - I agree with you

If we can get that midfielder who is head and shoulders above the rest to drive the rest up a gear and get a rw with similar attributes to Kent we could do the business this season hopefully if we make it through to the Groups we can upgrade these areas anyway if Galatasaray were thinking of taking us lightly they will be well aware of our threat now

According to some we are also only a draw away from being a shite team.

We need a pacey right winger IMO

Hagi doesn’t have the pace to play wider for us. When Kent picks the ball up he has the pace to to glide past players in the final third.

When Hagi receives it, he often checks in or turns back as he doesn’t have any pace to burst away.

I was really impressed with there midfielder siddiki all there good play went though him I wonder how much he would cost plenty pace and gets up and down the park really well

agreed 2 players would make a great starting 11

Hagi doesn’t have the pace to play wider for us. When Kent picks the ball up he has the pace to to glide past players in the final third.

When Hagi receives it, he often checks in or turns back as he doesn’t have any pace to burst away.
Hagi has to play as a central no10 or not at all for me should be him and Aribo competing for starts

Yes, i would agree.

I think sometimes we rely too much on Kent for driving forward.

I think Hagi definitely has the vision and quality. He can also hold up the play well but he can also frustrate you for long spells in the game too with daft mistakes and losing possession easily. He definitely has the ability. He just needs to be that bit more consistent. I definitely think a right attacking midfielder with a bit drive is required along with a strong centre midfielder with a good engine and a bit of fight about him. I sometimes feel we can be a soft touch in there especially when the games a battle.

Last edited:

It isn’t Hagi’s best position, but injuries dictated he played there tonight.

Personally I think he needs to play centrally just behind the front three, but that’s probably Aribo’s best position too.

I also feel that Roofe will play as the wide attacker on the right when fit and that we’ll be a more potent force for it.

On a slightly more negative note, I didn’t think Alfie had a particularly good game tonight and it highlighted again for me the need to move him on and recruit another striker as Itten looks like it might take a while before he’s fully up to speed.

So for me it’s a quality player to go straight into the midfield and a new striker if Alfie leaves.

Personally I think he needs to play centrally just behind the front three, but that’s probably Aribo’s best position too.

I also feel that Roofe will play as the wide attacker on the right when fit and that we’ll be a more potent force for it.

On a slightly more negative note, I didn’t think Alfie had a particularly good game tonight and it highlighted again for me the need to move him on and recruit another striker as Itten looks like it might take a while before he’s fully up to speed.

So for me it’s a quality player to go straight into the midfield and a new striker if Alfie leaves.

Agree with all of that

In fairness Morelos wasn’t great. Wasn’t bad either. Had a few good flick ons and held it up well at times but his shooting technique was miles off tonight.

If we want to compete in four competitions and we DON’T sign at least two central midfielders and a right sided attacker, we’re pissing the league away IMO.

The midfield - even though we strolled it tonight - is a distance away from being strong enough for the coming season, more so if we make the EL groups.

If we want to compete in four competitions and we DON’T sign at least two central midfielders and a right sided attacker, we’re pissing the league away IMO.

The midfield - even though we strolled it tonight - is a distance away from being strong enough for the coming season, more so if we make the EL groups.

our current system relies on a fit and functioning Steven Davis playing 90 minutes for 60 games this season.

never gonny happen.

Who is this elusive CM, though?

Johnson from Preston is better than nobody but not sure he would be a gamechanging signing.

Would love to see a younger player more in the mould of that Cantwell lad at Norwich - obviously a cheaper alternative as the lad himself will go for a whopping fee (by our standards at least) when he's eventually sold.

A sort of Ian Ferguson / Gazza hybrid going by previous threads on this! That would be nice but our midfield is not the big problem area it’s made out to be, we’ll do well to improve on it without spending decent money.

Who is this elusive CM, though?

Johnson from Preston is better than nobody but not sure he would be a gamechanging signing.

Would love to see a younger player more in the mould of that Cantwell lad at Norwich - obviously a cheaper alternative as the lad himself will go for a whopping fee (by our standards at least) when he's eventually sold.
Obviously a lot of luck needed with this one but we need a Barry Ferguson type in there

We don’t need someone with Kent’s attributes beside him, you need balance. Aribo is the centre kid you describe, but we do need another quality player in there.

With roofe and Aribo back IMO we are a commanding CM away from it Op ,

we may not like to admit it and we do moan like feck but we are a right good team , we just need to cut out the brain farts like Sunday and livi .

I’m still more than confident if we played you know who tomorrow we would smash them , we are a better team with largely better individuals and hopefully over the course of the season we will prove that

We don’t need someone with Kent’s attributes beside him, you need balance. Aribo is the centre kid you describe, but we do need another quality player in there.
Aribo is better playing further forward imo we need someone who thrives on playing deeper like Ferguson or Mendes and we do need another Kent imo Hagi doesn't suit the role and when Kent is out of form or Injured we are relying on Jones Barker or Stewart to do the job I wouldn't be happy with either of them in the team for a sustained period

According to the modern day tacticians we don't actually play with wingers though but I agree that Hagi is wasted playing wide. Aribo seemed to cope better playing out there, but he was flying playing through the middle in pre-season.

We need a CM and the manager has made no secret of that.

Where's Hagi playing in this system?
In our current strongest 11 I don’t think Hagi plays
Best 11 is team that played last night but add in Roofe Aribo and Jack with Hagi Arfield and Kamara dropping to bench

According to the modern day tacticians we don't actually play with wingers though but I agree that Hagi is wasted playing wide. Aribo seemed to cope better playing out there, but he was flying playing through the middle in pre-season.

We need a CM and the manager has made no secret of that.
We don't technically play with Wingers Kent and Hagi basically have free roles to go anywhere but it's much easier trying to convert a skillful winger into a 10 than a technically gifted but slow 10 into a winger

I think we need probably 2 central midfielders and like you say a right winger.

Aribo is such a big miss though.

Correct.

Would also say the players we need in have to be in a different mould to the ones we have. In saying that I would take 1 who is a similar type to Arfield but with more finesse or quality

The current squad really lacks options to turn games around (hence why we run out of ideas and resort to chucking strikers on when chasing a goal ala vs Hibs)

I’ve read most of the responses to the ops post and I dont know whether to laugh or cry . Not sure after sifting through that lot if we are a good team or a pretty average one. Oh well that’s FF I suppose. Personally when everyone’s fit I think we are a big strong athletic type midfield player away from being a very decent side. We need Morelos to stay goes without saying.

but it's much easier trying to convert a skillful winger into a 10 than a technically gifted but slow 10 into a winger
We aren’t doing that though. I think we need someone who is more comfortable playing centrally than Kent, ideally with more pace than Hagi but not a natural winger.

A couple of injuries to midfielders, as we have now, and it completely exposes the lack of quality we have.

Need at least one midfielder.

I think it's more we are evolving as a team before we were reliant on Alfie getting the ball holding up and moving it on our creating himself.

Kent has grown in stature And hagi trys different things to get the ball into space.

He still works hard but the way we have been playing him a lot is to have him drop deeper with Kent running in front

From where we were a few years back to the level we are at in Europe is pretty incredible when you think about it. Our results are really underrated. Any other nations media would be ranting and raving about it, however the SMSM are a joke!

We are a baw hair off being a great team.

For me we need 2 types of deep lying midfielder.

One who is athletic, powerful, can crunch into tackles and can cover ground quickly. They can drive us forward up the pitch and really squeeze the game. Can shut a game down when it’s tight, for instance 2-1 up away to Hibs.

The second, again athletic mould, but doesn’t need to lift his head before making the pass. He can switch the play and open the game up quickly and accurately. Dictates the speed of the game.

Can any new signings be added to the squad for Galatasaray?
I think you can make three changes to the squad between qualifiers from memory as long as it's done before a certain date.

Only allowed one chnage in the last 48 hours I think.

I haven't looked at the match thread but it's hard to believe people would be unhappy two goals up away to a good team at HT.

As for the Hivs match? A fair ref and we win that. We've got another bent ref on Sunday. It's hard for the team to win by two or three goals (if a fair ref) just to see us scrape a victory. Easter Road is always a hard game but what chance with a bent ref? Same at Motherwell.

Back