We are dug meat

Sit them down on Monday and show them a video of the under 16s, and tell them this is how I want you to play - imagination, movement and most of all, when the chance comes - composure to take a touch if possible, and finish the chance., not lash at it and put it past the post or miles over the bar.

The worrying thing is we now seem to be going backwards. At the start of the season we were playing with such energy at Ibrox and moving the ball quickly. Now we are so one paced and the players do not seem to believe in themselves or the system.

When we signed Defoe my concern was that we would not be able to adapt to a system where we get the best out of him. In the last couple of games we have created nothing. He is a top quality finisher but he is a man down unless you can create chances.

The plan seems to be play the ball wide and get early crosses in but what successful teams actually play like that? especially when you do not have wide players that can consistently cross the ball well. Good teams have the ability to move the ball quickly to create space, have someone with the ability to split the defence with a pass and get to the bye line and cut the ball back which is difficult to defend against. Teams in Scotland will defend early crosses into the box all day

We have Morelos who is quality and not much else

Problem is we are not significantly better than, Hearts,Hibs,Kilmarnock, St Johnstone or Aberdeen at the moment. We are miles better than last year, but anyone is still capable of a result against us. Every 4 games or so we win impressively and paper the cracks. Until draws at home to St Johnstone and defeats away to Kilmarnock are freak results, rather than routine events we are sadly not going to seriously challenge for the title.

Seems to me that's a very realistic assessment of where we are at the moment but I really do believe that we are moving forward although at times it's two steps forward and one step back.:(

W.A.T.P.

Shades of Warburton/Murty and Caixinha.

It's an absolute mess and a Europe group stages qualification and fancy ex player in charge doesn't change that.

Domestically we are absolutely abysmal.

Tonight, after that crap this afternoon, feeling pretty low regarding where we are and can't really disagree with your sentiments. Euro run apart, we appear to be no further forward domestically compared to last 2 seasons. We have a squad that on it's day can beat anyone, yet can also lose to anyone too - only Celtic dropping more points this season, giving the impression that we were challenging, masks the fact that our points total is not any better since our return to top division.

Thought we at last had go out of the need to have a rebuilding job in close season and might only require 2 or 3 quality signings this coming summer. However if there is no signs of improvement before end of season I will have little confidence that we have enough players of sufficient quality within the current squad to help take us to the next level. At this moment feels like Groundhog Day once more, hopefully I will be a little more positive after a goodnights sleep.

Gerrard just can't pick a good formation Defoe and Lafferty should have started at home and we would have won this.
Not really , if Lafferty started and Defoe remained on the bench , we may have won .

Defoe is done , Lafferty is way nearer being able to replicate a Morelos performance . We are shot .

Problem is we are not significantly better than, Hearts,Hibs,Kilmarnock, St Johnstone or Aberdeen at the moment. We are miles better than last year, but anyone is still capable of a result against us. Every 4 games or so we win impressively and paper the cracks. Until draws at home to St Johnstone and defeats away to Kilmarnock are freak results, rather than routine events we are sadly not going to seriously challenge for the title.
Not picking on you in particular mate. A lot of posters say the same as you have. However, we are the same number of points ahead of 3rd as we are off of 1st. The same people saying we aren't significantly better than Aberdeen or last year etc are also saying we are still significantly worse than Celtic. It can't be both, imo we are slightly less consistent than them and slightly more consistent than the rest. The table also backs that up.
Before the season started the general consensus was comfortable second, a cup final and not getting embarrassed in the Europa league qualifiers. We are currently comfortably second (I'm not giving up on the league like everyone else yet either), we significantly over achieved in Europe and we are still in the cup. Now all of a sudden we are dugshit etc? Nah, not having it.

Seems to me that's a very realistic assessment of where we are at the moment but I really do believe that we are moving forward although at times it's two steps forward and one step back.:(

W.A.T.P.

We will be fine, it’s going to take patience, we’ve the right men around the walnut table and I believe the right team in the dugout.

Last edited:
Not picking on you in particular mate. A lot of posters say the same as you have. However, we are the same number of points ahead of 3rd as we are off of 1st. The same people saying we aren't significantly better than Aberdeen or last year etc are also saying we are still significantly worse than Celtic. It can't be both, imo we are slightly less consistent than them and slightly more consistent than the rest. The table also backs that up.
Before the season started the general consensus was comfortable second, a cup final and not getting embarrassed in the Europa league qualifiers. We are currently comfortably second (I'm not giving up on the league like everyone else yet either), we significantly over achieved in Europe and we are still in the cup. Now all of a sudden we are dugshit etc? Nah, not having it.

I never said we were dogshit, I said we are better. As hard as it is to admit, my post deliberately did not mention them because we need to master the mundane art of routine wins against everyone else. Games against them will take care of themselves. That’s our starting point not Europe or cups. They are bonuses imho.

Last edited:
Tonight, after that crap this afternoon, feeling pretty low regarding where we are and can't really disagree with your sentiments. Euro run apart, we appear to be no further forward domestically compared to last 2 seasons. We have a squad that on it's day can beat anyone, yet can also lose to anyone too - only Celtic dropping more points this season, giving the impression that we were challenging, masks the fact that our points total is not any better since our return to top division.

Thought we at last had go out of the need to have a rebuilding job in close season and might only require 2 or 3 quality signings this coming summer. However if there is no signs of improvement before end of season I will have little confidence that we have enough players of sufficient quality within the current squad to help take us to the next level. At this moment feels like Groundhog Day once more, hopefully I will be a little more positive after a goodnights sleep.
You will. Just think you could wake up being overwhelmed by a hatred of all things Rangers and be going to watch that shower. We all maybe got carried away but it’s not gonna happen this season now but it will. And when it does we will be justified in having the biggest party of our lives so stay with it. We’re not that far away although tonight feels like we are. 2nd was always the aim this season if we’re honest. Get your chin up man. At least your not a Tim

Do you know this for a fact or is it just your opinion?
Aye I know him bud talk to him all the time.
What a shite reply take a look at yourself.
All the facts are there it doesn’t take a genius to put them together.
The only way he’s not going this summer is if he absolute bombs the last couple of months and no clubs across Europe need a striker.
My thoughts, not opinion as you wrongly put it, is that he would be suited to La Liga before the EPL.

Have to agree that was absolute crap, devoid of any quality whatsoever. The lack of urgency today was the big shocker, it was as though this was an end of season fare with nothing at stake at all.

With our league season now well and truly over victory on Wednesday is a must but if iur last two performances are anything to go by it is anything but assured - the one massive plus is Alfie is back.
It seems to be , one super game, one average game and a rank game like st , johnstone.

A real fear of mine is when Alfredo is back I’m sure he only needs one booking for another ban. To lose him this much in the final stages is proving costly.
We need another plan when he’s not playing. Maybe 442 with lafferty up beside Defoe

It’s as though the effort used to play that mob off the pitch at Ibrox has drained us. How the FF can a team who looked a yard sharper in every position suddenly look so lethargic and devoid of creativity in practically every game since?
Like many, I’m at a loss as to what’s happened? I find myself trying not to lay the blame at the mangers door but more and I’m left thinking he’s unable to get them playing to a consistent level. Are the players simply not good enough? Yes based on yesterday, but these are the same players who walked all over Celtic not so long ago? So if they are good enough, why ain’t they performing week in week out? Weak in spirit? Lacking the strength it takes to be a Rangers player?

It’s all extremely frustrating. That lot have seemed galvanised since that trouncing we gave them. Admittedly their fixtures have been kinder but they’re winning comfortably as evidenced by the recent 3 defeats they inflicted on a rank rotten team that we couldn’t lay a glove on at Ibrox yesterday.
Whether it’s the players , the manager or both, it’s looking more and more like the Scottish cup is the only trophy that can save our season.

The board have done a sterling job providing funds but the quality that we’ve got for that money looks extremely questionable with every passing day.

Where do we go from here ? Can’t keep sacking managers. It’s costly rebuilding every season. Can’t expect the board to keep finding money without some return.

A new regime will be very expensive and probably demand money we don’t have.

Stick or twist?

More questions than answers.

Hate to say it but if we can't break down shite like St Johnstone at Ibrox then we don't deserve to win anything. Totally lack-lustre performance today when the reality is we need to be flying out the traps every game.

100% this. We need to be good enough to break teams like that down especially at home.

Problem is we are not significantly better than, Hearts,Hibs,Kilmarnock, St Johnstone or Aberdeen at the moment.

If that was true how did we perform like we did on Dec29th?
The fundamental problem we have is an unprofessional mentality. Pros put in their best performance irrespective of opponent, we're all over the shop.
I hope that Gerrard doesn't relent after finally calling it out in the post-match interview.

There has been no creativity in our midfield for years

Pretty much all our options are the same type of player. Holding midfielders and some who will put a shift in most games but there is little creativity and no dynamic players who can create or change a game.

Piss poor stuff I'm afraid.

Morelos is off in the summer, and to be fair to him why would he wanna stay in a country where everyone and their dog outside Rangers hates his fuckin guts for no reason other than being good at a sport.

He's good at a sport.

We're better than we were which I beleive brings us to the level of shite.

To use the OPs terminology we are not ‘dug meat’. We may have been ‘dug meat’ yesterday but largely the same group of players have proven in the past 6 weeks or so that they can beat the best this league has to offer.

So, as others have pointed out, whilst we’d all like a higher standard of player, the real current issue is getting the best out of the group we have EVERY game and not just 1 in three.

Huge game on Wednesday now, and Killie will set up in exactly the same way as St Johnstone. As always, it’s how WE perform that will decide the match.

To use the OPs terminology we are not ‘dug meat’. We may have been ‘dug meat’ yesterday but largely the same group of players have proven in the past 6 weeks or so that they can beat the best this league has to offer.

So, as others have pointed out, whilst we’d all like a higher standard of player, the real current issue is getting the best out of the group we have EVERY game and not just 1 in three.

Huge game on Wednesday now, and Killie will set up in exactly the same way as St Johnstone. As always, it’s how WE perform that will decide the match.

Only saving grace is that Alfie will be available. So back to our only successful formation.

Hard for us to write another season off, gift wrap them another title! Which could well be another treble too.

Gutted and fuming with the performance of the players yesterday.

But op you are spot on all midfielders are similar we need alot more quality in there!

Another season and another rebuild needed very hard to accept. Not good enough

Aye I know him bud talk to him all the time.
What a shite reply take a look at yourself.
All the facts are there it doesn’t take a genius to put them together.
The only way he’s not going this summer is if he absolute bombs the last couple of months and no clubs across Europe need a striker.
My thoughts, not opinion as you wrongly put it, is that he would be suited to La Liga before the EPL.
This is a forum mate,people are allowed to have diferrent"thoughts"

Really terrible, never been so frustrated watching a game, players cant even shoot its a disgrace.

Then when chasing the game players keep giving away cheap fouls.

Utter pish

Kamara the only bright spot
We can shoot Recoba but they get blasted wide and over the bar absolutely abysmal mate

We've still got the small team mentality through the squad.

Players that can lift themselves for a big occasion but won't worry too much about losing a few games every now & then. It's just how they've been brought up, being in & around provincial teams that have no serious ambitions.

The last title winning team was chock full of winners but years & millions were spent assembling it. There's no quick fix to this

According to the stats we had

1 shot on target
17 shots Off target

That is absolutely deplorable for a professional team

According to the stats we had

1 shot on target
17 shots Off target

That is absolutely deplorable for a professional team

Apart from anything else that is indeed appalling. Candeias, Tavernier and Davis all had opportunities that should have resulted in goals or, at the very least, their keeper having to do some work.

Only effort on target was Goldson's tame header.

How about the terminology?
How can a Rangers fan use such a vulgar phrase to describe a Rangers team?
Ohh I'm sorry they're world beaters just not on their game? Some of them arent good.enough for Rangers whether you want to think of it or not, and the team yesterday were most definitely shite if your gonna argue that point then your standards as a rangers fan have dropped below par. I expect us to beat st Johnstone at home whether our best team is available or not.

When Morelos doesn't play we see why he is worth all the hassle.
The media hate him because he's our best player.

Exactly. We know why THEY hate him. What I don’t get is why Rangers fans are so quick to jump on him mate. He’s 22yo so is far from a seasoned pro, he’s developing his game, he’s giving US fans everything, he has a winning mentality, unlike many of our players, yet we still have some who are ready to kick him every time they get a chance :mad:

Back