We are losing horrific goals

That's what is so frustrating.

Every game we have dropped points in under Gerrard has been our own fault.

Tav vs celtic last season.

Goldson vs celtic this season

Tav x2 vs young boys

Goldson and helander vs feyenoord

Tav vs hearts

Whole defence vs aberdeen

We very rarely get outplayed or beaten by a better team and that's a good thing if we can cut out these stupid mistakes.

The strike against us away to Porto is the only goal we have conceded where I have thought wow nothing you can do about that, the goals we are conceding are dire, the management have us well set up, our goals against colomn are testimony to that, but a lack of concentration is causing us to make individual mistakes which in turn are proving costly, the players need to be switched on from first minute until last if they wish to win anything at this club.
As good as the Porto goal was, ryan jack passed the ball right to him at the edge of the box.

As ridiculous as this sounds the first goal seemed to be like a case of the players thought *fck it they aren't in the game one goal won't matter"

See that game out to half time at 2-0 we have won the game.

The goal was just a catalogue of errors which gave the sheep confidence. Quite rightly so I know I would of been thinking f*ck this they have a few mistakes in them tonight.

we started out with Goldson and Katic and we were solid,then the crazy tinkering started

tav is bad defensively and I don't think I'll ever change my mind on that. he's cost us dear at the back. also his crossing and dead balls are poor now. we need better at right back or at very least he needs taken off the dead balls.

On what planet did Goldson think turning your back on a ball that was pinballing around in our box to chase after the Ref claiming a foul was a good idea? He has been around long enough to know to always play to the whistle and that Refs in this country take great delight in giving us less than zero. Any other game than Sundays and our Laurel and Hardy centre backs should be dropped but I suspect they will get the chance to right last nights wrongs.

Agree. I think comments on Tav are harsh. To me the last 3/4 games he’s getting back closer to decent form.
The last 3 games or so he has been fine our centre backs are a disgrace, Gerrard wont change them but i would put Katic and Edmundson in their young with pace on the ground where these two are getting caught out all the time.

On what planet did Goldson think turning your back on a ball that was pinballing around in our box to chase after the Ref claiming a foul was a good idea? He has been around long enough to know to always play to the whistle and that Refs in this country take great delight in giving us less than zero. Any other game than Sundays and our Laurel and Hardy centre backs should be dropped but I suspect they will get the chance to right last nights wrongs.
And selling a goal against the Dutch team as well.

If you lose a goal to a wonder strike etc then its one of those things.

Nearly every goal we have lost has came from errors, not great play from the opposition. Some of the defending is criminal.

There is no question that we are defensively careless in games, and it will cost us trophies as a result. For me it should be Katic plus A.N.Other. Unless he suffers from seasonal depression, I have no idea why SG drops him in Oct.

we started out with Goldson and Katic and we were solid,then the crazy tinkering started

i'd argue that if we had given katic game time instead of worral, mccrorie game time instead of coulibaly we'd be in a slightly better place this year. Sadly though we see ojo getting more game time than stewart, barker, we are showing too much loyalty to loan signings imo

The strike against us away to Porto is the only goal we have conceded where I have thought wow nothing you can do about that, the goals we are conceding are dire, the management have us well set up, our goals against colomn are testimony to that, but a lack of concentration is causing us to make individual mistakes which in turn are proving costly, the players need to be switched on from first minute until last if they wish to win anything at this club.

Even then, it came from Jack giving the ball away stupidly but the strike itself was a thunderbolt.

The last 3 games or so he has been fine our centre backs are a disgrace, Gerrard wont change them but i would put Katic and Edmundson in their young with pace on the ground where these two are getting caught out all the time.

I agree with you SB. I would try at least one of the younger guys with one of the more experienced ones.

Mind you it’s a toss up between which if Goldson & Helander we can trust recently.

Every domestic team we play against all know Goldson is a soft touch. Last night proved this by the way he was flapping around complaining about not being touched as the ball is right beside him to empty into row z. The first rule of football at any level is play to the whistle, he’s a poser of a CB.
Then you have Helander on the other side, he has zero pace at all, granted he can take up good starting position to counter this, but that isn’t going to work every time.
Teams know they have a chance against us if they can bypass our midfield and go at these two. This is not what you expect for the money we spent on both of them, especially when we have to great prospects sitting there ready to go.

Think it’s the full backs leaving our CBs exposed that’s causing a lot of the issues- having to cover too much territory and leaving gaps. If we are playing with the full backs pushed forward we need a bit more discipline from them, or the ‘spare’ midfielder to cover for them.
Jack was doing this well for Tavernier earlier in the season, but now he’s pushed forward it’s up to Davis to cover both sides, and that’s probably too much.

Neither of last nights goals came from full backs being too high. They both came about from an inability to defend a throw in and then a complete catalogue of errors from all of the back 5.

If Barisic was in Flanagans place last night I'm sure wouldnt have lost either of those goals as they both originated in then left back position.

Neither of last nights goals came from full backs being too high. They both came about from an inability to defend a throw in and then a complete catalogue of errors from all of the back 5.

If Barisic was in Flanagans place last night I'm sure wouldnt have lost either of those goals as they both originated in then left back position.
Yes I agree mate- LB left the central defenders badly exposed last night

One of the faults that did for Warburton and Weir was the team's inability to defend well, losing a lot of sloppy goals. Whilst Stevie G's team is in a different class too often we get a bad defensive mistake and are punished. If Stevie G wants to win something he has to cut out the mistakes at the back. Whist the FBs sometimes leave us short at the back, and midfield, including the FBs, sometimes give away possession in dangerous places, the main problem is still the inability to clear the ball. How often have we conceded ping pong goals with the ball bouncing around inside the box?

Now, I want us to play out when it's appropriate but I want them to clear the ball first and foremost.

Because of our style of play our defenders are always trying to be (too) clever in terms of just nicking the ball away from opponents and starting another attacking move. We are not coached to boot the ball out or just cement a bresking player on the half way line

Many of our goals conceded come as a result of a failure to go in hard and just get the ball out of the danger zone. The first gisl for Aberdeen last night saw an Aberdeen player waltz past about three Rangers players without a proper challenge. Simply unacceptable from the midfield and defence

When your captain and vice captain have been responsible for goals costing points it hardly inspires the others.

Goldson should stop thinking he can pass a ball and the midfield should start to realise he cant pass a ball.
The best or possibly worst example of his inability to pass a ball was in the game against celtic when he received the ball with no one near him other than Edouard and plenty of options in front of him but his pass went straight to Calum McGregor who promptly passed the ball to the by now unmarked Edouard who then had a clear run in in McGregor to score the all important first goal.
I think that the main problem that he has, is that he is nowhere near as good he himself thinks he is

Goldson should stop thinking he can pass a ball and the midfield should start to realise he cant pass a ball.
I know,mate,who does he think he is Beckenbauer. And why doesn't Greegs command his own box a bit better than he does,certainly should've at least punched the second clear.

to be fair we may have three. At the wrexham game i thought lewis mayo was the stand out central defender that day even thought edmundson look ok, mayo looked very good.
Mayo played more in midfield that day.

Back