We are playing some great football

We play good football, we pass the ball well, but it is also very incisive. The best of it all for me is the way we adapt.

Teams play a high line? - Goldson or Davis drops balls over top to catch them out.

Teams play a low block? - We pass and move, we pull defenders out of position, we flood the edge of the box.

Or a combination of both depending on who we play.

What makes this possible is our players all have great football intelligence and can take in and implement instructions.

We must be an absolute nightmare to play against at the moment. First of all, you cannot prepare for a first eleven as it is so interchangeable.

In the first half yesterday, the front FIVE players received the ball at some point or another in the five different positional spots on the park - yet the shape was exactly the same at all times.

It's incredibly exciting to watch

We have added the ball over the top to great effect. That is the key for me, no “keep it on the deck, pass for passing sake.” It’s get the ball to the danger men and support them, whilst smothering the opposition at the same time. Goldson was intercepting balls in their half, and cut out any respite they would normally get from a punt up the park.
We play superb football, and are defending like warriors.

There was one moment in the second half where Arfield ( i think) got the ball and was off balance / moving backwards. he could just pop the ball off without controlling it. in days gone past he would have had to control it and look for a pass and probably lost it because he was off balance and a player was close to him. he can just keep the ball moving and keep possession

I agree with the sentiments here and I particularly like our recent use of the ball in behind opposition defences, but we shouldn’t think we are the finished article yet. Even yesterday there were times when our passing could have been quicker and more accurate and finishing could improve. We’ve gone some distance along the right road but we can still get better.

It’s not just the play in general I’m delighted with. It’s the fact that we’ve got that killer instinct in front of goal that we badly missed the past 2 seasons. We’re baying for blood and it’s a joy to see. We can kill teams off early and relax a bit. The fear of playing us is back again and teams are beat before we kick off.

Advocaat's team springs to mind for playing football that was easy on the eye. As a coached unit though I have to say this particular Rangers team are very impressive and take some beating. Only very occasionally have we been found wanting defensively by quality players in Europe and I'm sure this is something management are working on.

Our movement is top class. The ability of players to interchange position or fill in for others is almost telepathic at times.

The choice of pass is normally correct by all.

We mix patience to search for a gap to exploit allied with our pace to take advantage of those situations if a fantastic mix.

Of course, the foundations we have defensively allow the forward players to express themselves in the way we all want to see.

It's a positive at the moment. Let's hope it continues.

You can see parts of it that are straight from the training ground. Every game now you see the same 1-2 move on the edge of the box that's so difficult to play against. Full back or midfielder cuts inside, passes to someone else futher along the box and then heads inside the box. They all know to do it without thinking. It's simple but effective.

I think just as important this season is our defensive record. To be going into December having lost only 3 league goals is astonishing.

Just to put that in context in Brandon Rodgers first season at the yahoo's they'd lost more goals after 3 league games than we have after 15.
Even more incredible when you think one was offside and one was an own goal.

You watch some of these short and rapid passing sequences around the box and you think 'That can't happen, can it?'.

I also think we get a shot off more quickly now which is something I've been critical of.

We are becoming a great watch.

Last edited:
We are playing some great football and look dangerous in attack ( trying different things) and look solid at the back. We are using our Squad well In terms of both subs and starting eleven rotation

Best football since Advocaat's first couple of seasons. Walter was effective but never enthralling to watch (second era when there was no Gascoigne of Laudrup to get us off our seats).

We have a very talented team with one key attribute, their work rate. The desire to win every ball, every tackle, every header, to track back, to make runs-it's giving them the platform to play bloody good football
I think that this was clearly illustrated in the final minutes when an Aberdeen player tried to shield the the ball to let it go over for a goal kick ,but he was hassled by not one but two Rangers players (Itten and Hagi I think) and one of them won the ball and we almost scored , tremendous never say die attitude

I think that this was clearly illustrated in the final minutes when an Aberdeen player tried to shield the the ball to let it go over for a goal kick ,but he was hassled by not one but two Rangers players (Itten and Hagi I think) and one of them won the ball and we almost scored , tremendous never say die attitude
Great work by the pair of them. Should actually have been a penalty as Considine - again ha ha - had a huge pull on the Rangers players shirt as he got away from him.

I'm over sixty and have watched Rangers for over fifty years and have to say this is the best coached Rangers side in my lifetime. I will concede we have had more skilful players in the past but our budget dictates this.
The recruitment since Gerrard has come in has been first class with few failures. Players are now being bought to play our system, again a first.
To think it's not long ago some were advocating we needed a midfield destroyer or heaven forbid play 442 with a big target man.

Playing together as a team. They seem to get on with one another, they all seem to be enjoying it, backing each other up, giving praise and encouragement. Great to watch but......lets win the league and at least one domestic cup. Then we party!!!

Some great stuff on show just now - the patience and everyone being on the same wavelength and understanding the plan makes an enormous difference and gets it to work well.

They’ve got a wee bit of an edge to them now as well, if you have a kick at someone then you’ll get one back.
Forst & foremost this is a cracking football team to watch though.

I agree with the sentiments here and I particularly like our recent use of the ball in behind opposition defences, but we shouldn’t think we are the finished article yet. Even yesterday there were times when our passing could have been quicker and more accurate and finishing could improve. We’ve gone some distance along the right road but we can still get better.
If I have a criticism at the moment it’s that we can still over complicate things in and around the box.

Occasionally there’s still that extra pass taken when a shot is probably required. There were a couple of incidents yesterday where both Hagi and Defoe should have leathered it but instead chose to try and be more cute than was needed.

We were four up by then however so it’s difficult to be over critical, but I still worry about what happens when we inevitably hit a dip in form.

Remembering how unexpected our post Xmas collapse was last season after similar highs in the first half of the campaign isn’t something I find easy to dismiss.

Love the way we're playing, also Roofes movement is something else man. Can't wait for Thursday. Hope he starts.

Some of the stuff we’re playing is brilliant. Speed of thought, execution and the movement of the players is at a level right now that is making it near impossible for teams to live with.

I'm 41 so old enough to remember us under Souness, Smith 1st term, Advocaat and Smith 2nd tenure and can say with complete honesty that we are playing better football now as a team than at any point. We of course had better players in previous eras and we absolutely need to add silverware before we can compare this team to those mentioned. However if we do and I've no reason to believe we won't, and you factor in our attitude and results in Europe then we are on the cusp of something truly magnificent.

Advocaat had millions and a team of superstars;

Klos, Numan, Amoruso, Porrini, Giovanni van Bronkhorst, Barry Ferguson, Albertz, Reyna, Kanchelskis, Mols and the likes of McCann, Ricksen, Tugay, Wallace, Flo etc.

We may not have a team of superstars as such but the management team have taken players like Kamara, Tavernier, Goldson, Barišić, Jack, Kent, Morelos and made them better, fitter, stronger, more athletic. We've become a well organised, well worked, disciplined side that's playing some of the best football we have seen since the Advocaat era.

The football at times this season has been sensational. We are focussed on every aspect of the game whether it's in midfield, attack or defence. We take as much pride in defending as we do creating and scoring. We hunt the ball down in packs of wolves, we attack in numbers. We have learned to be patient and in recent months, ruthless.

To be a bit hyperbolic about it

Its like having Numan / Gio give and go pacey telepathic link up all over the pitch

Prior to the Hamilton game many of us were saying that when we clicked someone will get a hammering. Hamilton were that team and I really expect this will happen on a few more occasions this season.
Our strength in depth is amazing and we've more to come from Zungu and the likes of Aribo and Roofe not 100% match fit yet.

Back