We do need to strengthen - don't we?

My unpopular theory is that Tav is probably the player who we could sell with the minimal impact on the team.
Patterson has shown he is more than able, and that new contract should see maximum price secured if we do get a serious offer in.

I’d be more concerned about Goldson, Helander or Kamara generating interest.
Our defensive partnership over recent months has looked solid and while Katic, Balogun etc are tried & tested to some extent, coming back from bad injury in Katic’s case is likely to be bumpy and then the loss of Goldson’s organisation across that defence would be something to replace.

Midfield is where we need a bit of thought & investment IMO.
Jack, Kamara + 1 across the midfield should be the future over the next year but that is subject to Jack’s fitness and Kamara staying.... and finding someone who can sit just in front of them and support the attack AND slot in to support the defensive work when needed. I struggle to even think of a player who does that anywhere.
Kamara is bound to be a target for a few big clubs I would imagine.In a strange way the racist abuse he suffered gave him a lot of exposure and made others more aware of him

Didn't say anything like that. I said they weren't as good as the man they were replacing, not that they were hopeless or not good enough to wear the jersey.

There's very squads in the world who play elite European football with 2 players in every position at the same level - France in 2018 is a good example of it.

We will always have a select 11 with 3 or 4 benched at that level and the rest will be progressive players like Bassey or old heads like Defoe.

We sell 1 / bank Uefa cash and we bring a top tier player in and maybe 1 to work on - think Roofe and Itten.

Absolutely we do. We have a vast scouting network, DOF etc & although it's working well IMO, we should always be looking to strengthen in every position at best, & more realistically every area of the team.

We should also always have a constantly updated list of targets in the event we lose a top player - eg if we lost Barisic could we go with Bassey? Am not so sure.

Have we had enough of a contribution from Itten? What about Simpson last night? Jury out for me. Defoe is likely to go, what about Alfie making noises about his "options" - what are we doing about these questions? and so on...

Am sure the people we have in place now are on top of everything & not resting on their laurels

Improvement on zungu and another CAM in and we’re all good.
Why should we aim to improve the bench rather than the first team?

Davis has been great this season but if we're signing a new 6 it should be him that's upgraded, it's just a step sideways/backwards otherwise

Why should we aim to improve the bench rather than the first team?

Davis has been great this season but if we're signing a new 6 it should be him that's upgraded, it's just a step sideways/backwards otherwise
And upgrade on zungu would most likely start, if jack is fully fit next year he’ll be playing a lot more and Davis will eventually be a role player

1 or 2 changes weakens us, never mind 7. Sunday will show the gulf between the 1st choice 11 and those who floundered last night. We need
Also the side that eventually put us out of Europe were ultimately shown up on their own patch by an average Arsenal.
Gerrard must surely be looking for minimum of 2 or 3 of quality to come in.

Making 7 changes rarely doesn't result in a drop off for any team to be honest. Individually each of those players we brought in are fine more or less.
In all honesty we we were terrible last night they could have been 2 up in the first 10 mns, we are so slow at starting games at the moment and we were there for the taking last night, I am looking for a big improvement on Sunday, and boy do we need it.

I think we're good domestically. If we're to have ambition in Europe we need more quality in.
If we want a chance at the Champions League we need to bring in better players it's as simple as that I'm afraid.

The midfield in particular is good but it has it's limitations at times it definitely needs more athletic and dynamic players especially creative ones ?

Another area is the right forward role we have so many options but not one player seems to be able to fully cement that place at times can we get a Kent type player in there to booster our attack further ?

Another striker would be a solid option someone with blistering pace to give us a different option ?

It's clear as day as to where we need to strengthen this summer.

Last edited:
You always have to look for ways to improve but that has to come with some turnover in playing staff as well. We're not flush enough to pay starters wages for guys that get bumped onto the bench

Two quality Midfield players at minimum and replacements for whoever leaves.
I think we will see the end of Zungu, Possibly Bassey (Dependent on what Borna does)
If Kamara and Borna and big Phil all leave then as good if not better need to be recruited as a matter of urgency
Ryan Jack and Kemar Roofe I’m not replaced then we have to make sure they are fit if they are going to contribute enough throughout the season

Only seen glimpses but the boy Scott right looks like he could play in the first team right now and make an impact

Making 7 changes rarely doesn't result in a drop off for any team to be honest. Individually each of those players we brought in are fine more or less.
Always all or nothing on here.

We need 3 or 4 players better than our starting 11.
Every year.

We need to them sell 1 to 3.
Then move on 1 or 2 of those not performing or not good enough.

It's a never ending process

I think our coaches know that.

We can change up to 3 or 4 players over time, with match fitness, with time playing together.

We can't throw 7 bodies on and expect a 7-0 victory.
We are hardly in a novel position within football.

Kamara is one of those players who we know is good but wont realise how good until he is gone.He is a fantastic footballer and we should be going all out to keep him.
Kamara would have made a perfect player to play alongside Gerrard and compliment him

He isn't at the Viera level, as he is not quite ruthless enough.

That might never come.

And it probably won't at Rangers.

If we can get high double digit millions for him we can find a player who will do better for us, although might nor quite be a better footballer.

It sounds ridiculous given our defensive record this season, but I feel we give away too many chances. It’s great to have a keeper like MacGregor, but he won’t be there forever. Tough defensive midfielder needed to tighten us up in that area.

We should always be looking to improve but I have to say the reaction on here to Wednesday has been pretty pathetic

We’ve won the league and are unbeaten with three games left. I realise we want to win every game but you can be disappointed while being pragmatic and looking at the bigger picture.

Reactions: Jeb
If you’re not moving forwards you’re just standing still or going backwards.
we absolutely need to strengthen. Celtic will overhaul their team. We have CL qualifiers and also a guaranteed CL slot if we win the league next year to play for
All very well saying celtic will overhaul their team. Can't see them bringing in much quality, it'll be loans and freebies the majority of it. They don't have the money for a complete overhaul unless Dermot is going to give them £100m.

We'll bring in a few better quality players than we already have. This has already been mentioned by Ross Wilson, we're shopping in a different market for next season, the attraction of CL football is huge. We have a very good core to the team that is only going to improve with this management team, I'm really looking forward to seeing who comes in.

Of course we will strengthen.

the good thing is that we don’t need wholesale changes. It’s upgrading the squad from a very strong position.

Reactions: Jeb
We should always be looking to improve but I have to say the reaction on here to Wednesday has been pretty pathetic

We’ve won the league and are unbeaten with three games left. I realise we want to win every game but you can be disappointed while being pragmatic and looking at the bigger picture.
And Gerrard was quite clear. He made team choices based on the game on Sunday.

clearly he thought we had enough to get us over the line against st Johnstone. Let’s face it, we should have.

it was a disappointing result. But in the grand scheme of things. Does it really matter? The players have done exceptionally well this season (understatement) and I’m not going to be too annoyed at a draw

All very well saying celtic will overhaul their team. Can't see them bringing in much quality, it'll be loans and freebies the majority of it. They don't have the money for a complete overhaul unless Dermot is going to give them £100m.

We'll bring in a few better quality players than we already have. This has already been mentioned by Ross Wilson, we're shopping in a different market for next season, the attraction of CL football is huge. We have a very good core to the team that is only going to improve with this management team, I'm really looking forward to seeing who comes in.

How did we manage to catch them? They had more money, a better team etc

We bought wisely. They’ve a history of doing that with the likes of Hooper, Wanyama, Nakamura etc

We can’t be cocky about it because we’ve won a title. They will come back at us. We need to make sure we don’t take our foot off the gas or get complacent. As I’m sure we won’t

We should constantly be looking to improve, as far as our means allow.

Very few, if not zero teams will have a like for like replacement in every position. Some players will not tolerate sitting on the bench most weeks.

However, looking to the future replacements for players we expect to sell/retire this season or next is something I fully expect the club to be undertaking.

How did we manage to catch them? They had more money, a better team etc

We bought wisely. They’ve a history of doing that with the likes of Hooper, Wanyama, Nakamura etc

We can’t be cocky about it because we’ve won a title. They will come back at us. We need to make sure we don’t take our foot off the gas or get complacent. As I’m sure we won’t
We caught them because they didn't see us coming. They downsized season after season due to the fact they had to. Their wage bill alone is circa £60m. They don't have any more Wanyama's or Van Dykes to sell, they're out of those options. I just don't see them rebuilding this team in one summer alone unless Dermot Desmond digs deep and he has a history of taking money out of celtic, not putting it in. Let's say he does rebuild, that team still has to gel as well.

Trust me I'm not getting cocky, we're in a huge position of strength over them, we have the infrastructure which they don't have and we have a very good squad nucleus. They are now where we were three seasons ago. We'll buy two or three quality players (not squad fillers) in the summer to add to this squad. Granted we'll lose a few but I think we'll come out of it a stronger and better team.

I know its been spoken about in previous transfer windows but I think this is the first summer transfer window where we see genuine quality over quantity i.e one or two players brought in who can go straight into the team ... that’s the way evolution of a dominant team should be

Last edited:
That’s the answer.
Two or there changes shouldn’t change the team quality too much, unless it’s in one area.

Back