We expecting a big name signing?

Mark Walters

Unless Morelos goes for a sizeable fee I'm not. Would have argued we needed 3 players of genuine quality to make sure we challenged the dregs of humanity a couple of months back but we looked so settled and composed in the last few games of the season & add in the fact they've appointed Lennon that I think we might just be looking to bolster squad to make us more competitive and adaptable.

There of course might be a surprise in store but generally I don't think we are too far off where we want to be squad wise.

I think the worst possible thing we could do in this window is be complacent.

I think the board know this and I dont think Gerrard would settle for it either.

Whether its a big name or big fee (for us). I'm not sure if either but I'm certain we will sign one or two who without a doubt have quality.

Lennon should not be a factor in our summer recruitment.

I’m not wanting a “big name”, just quality. Folk chasing big names get a hard on over the likes of Baines, Kranjcar etc when they’re clearly done.

Players who will take us to the next level is what we need.

If Morelos goes we need a real top quality striker. As in real big name top drawer.
If Tav leaves we need to replace him with real quality too.
Hope they both stay
Otherwise I will be happy with Kent coming back, a number 10 of quality and a decent centre back

I think we’ll prepare on the assumption that nobody significant leaves, in which case I think we’ll have a fairly modest budget again - between £6-8m would be my guess - and for that sort of money I don’t think we’re adding the number or level of quality players many are demanding.

If however Morelos and / or Tavernier leave, we’ll have a contingency plan in place consisting of a list of replacements for each.

We may then have enough money to look at strengthening other areas of the squad further.

I think the term ‘quality’ is always very subjective though.

Nope

As usual FF will get all hyped up and expectations won't be met, But I'm sure we'll sign some decent additions to the squad

Where would Aribo fit into our summer recruitment in terms of quality?

If he comes is he likely to be one of the better players or more like another option in midfield?

I’ve never seen or heard of him prior to our interest but the way people are tearing each other to pieces on his thread it makes me think he could be one of the bigger signings or are we expecting more recognisable names like Davis and Defoe?

We need players who will MAKE rheir name at rangers. Buy young and cheap talent for a few mil and dont let them go for less than 10x what we paid for them (if that!). See katic, Kamara & Morlelos. Hunger to impress and make a name. Not ticking over joirneymen!

So no David Weir’s, Ray Wilkins, Cannigias etc.

I agree with you mate, but needs a balance.

Don’t think we need a big name but we do want a big player. Getting Ojo is a step up from Ejaria and Kent last year. That’s not a comment on ability necessarily but on how they are viewed within Liverpool.

Equally if we get Aribo then beating credible English teams and Celtic to a player would be a big signing. Equally if we got a £4-6mill player that would be a huge signing and might not be impossible.

I do not want a big name. We can’t afford a famous player at the height of their career. And we have seen too many times that big names are rarely useful on their way down. Davis is different as a true fan and Defoe’s reputation has been of being a model pro throughout his career. If there are extenuating circumstances then rarely some may work. But I would much prefer a promising youngster who has been established for a couple of seasons somewhere.

Get Ojo, Kent and Aribo. Splash out £3/4m on a centre half like Kalas, and possibly another young back up and I’m done.

Given our recruitment already, I don’t see Tav or Morelos leaving. Not unless we’re planning for a squad of 30+ players or we’re going to end up the summer with masses of money banked.

Get Ojo, Kent and Aribo. Splash out £3/4m on a centre half like Kalas, and possibly another young back up and I’m done.

Given our recruitment already, I don’t see Tav or Morelos leaving. Not unless we’re planning for a squad of 30+ players or we’re going to end up the summer with masses of money banked.

Hopefully get another year out the 2 of them. Both staying would save us having to spend and we can focus on the CB position as you say.

I think the board know this and I dont think Gerrard would settle for it either.

Whether its a big name or big fee (for us). I'm not sure if either but I'm certain we will sign one or two who without a doubt have quality.

Goldson was a premier league centre half. Arfield?
They could be classed as big name signings.
It's maybe an indication of how far we've come that we now consider this the norm.

Barton & Bruno Alves were classed as big name signings and didnt work out.

I'm not fussed if its not a big name aslong as we get the right quality. Kamara, Morelos, Katic, Kent & Tavernier were never big name signings but they were the correct quality.

What position needs big money spent on it? If Tav goes we can get a replacement for a couple of million. If Alfie goes then his replacement wont cost as much as he will be sold for, so as of now I cant see big money being spent but maybe that's why im not a football manager

I think we’ll end up with a big name striker as immediate replacement for Morelos. I know we’ve had multiple threads on Sturridge and the gaffers comments about him in the Autobiography were not perhaps the kindest however I have a sneaky suspicion he’ll be up here plying his trade by early July. Not ITK or here to start another ten page debate just a feeling. I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough.

What exactly is there to get complacent about? We haven't won anything in 8 years!

I'd take a relative unknown like Tav or Morelos over more 'bigger' names any day of the week.
Or a Kamara,Katic or especially an Arfield who was probably classed by a lot of people as just a decent pro-I think we've all seen he's much more than that wearing our colours.

We need the right players,not necessarily the 'big' names.

If we could get Edmundson,Aribo,Ojo,Jones and Stewart for about a million quid or so to leave funds for two players with fees of a high quality that are required to fit into the team and structure regardless of their name we're on the right track I'd have thought.

Unless Morelos goes for a sizeable fee I'm not. Would have argued we needed 3 players of genuine quality to make sure we challenged the dregs of humanity a couple of months back but we looked so settled and composed in the last few games of the season & add in the fact they've appointed Lennon that I think we might just be looking to bolster squad to make us more competitive and adaptable.

There of course might be a surprise in store but generally I don't think we are too far off where we want to be squad wise.
You may not mean to make that post sound complacent but we can’t afford to assume just because we finished strongly (other than Kilmarnock) that we’re the finished article.
I’d like to see us sign 1. Top class international centre half (and potential captain) 2. Top class international left back, 3. A first choice midfielder to rival Jack. 4. A top quality striker having lost Lafferty.
All 4 players have to be better than what Celtic have and better than what we already have.

We (fans) love a marquee signing. You could debate for the majority that was Gerrard himself. I'm with you, happy if they are lesser known but quality.......but a 'big name' gets folk onboard.

I'm sure I read SG has stated about a month ago that 2/3 quality signings will be made

Kalas - 4m ?
Aribo
Pacy & mobile left back ( BB sell for 4m )
Pacy & Strong Young third striker ( Lafferty Herrera away ) - maybe Koljic ? 1.5m ?
Young CD ( unless left back versatile & can cover )

This on top of what we have & we can go very close.

Doesn’t need to be a big name but we need a few quality signings.

I’d be disappointed if we don’t pull out a 3/4 million signing.
Yes, we cannot expect to challenge Celtc purely on frees and £200k transfers. A few genuine quality players will go a long way to establishing us as genuine title challengers. Whether the funds are there without selling Tav or Morelos is another matter.

What position needs big money spent on it? If Tav goes we can get a replacement for a couple of million. If Alfie goes then his replacement wont cost as much as he will be sold for, so as of now I cant see big money being spent but maybe that's why im not a football manager

If Tav goes we could get a replacement RB for a couple of million but we’d need to replace his assists/goals. Goals less so as mostly pens but we’d need creativity from elsewhere as we couldn’t sign a RB who’d give what Tav gives. Not right away anyway, we’d have to buy potential and hope to develop it.

I don’t mean this offensively, but I find the clamour for a ‘big name’ pathetic and childish.

All I care about is if they are good players, good value for money and will do a job for Rangers - I couldn’t give a shiny shite if they’re a ‘big name’ or not.

EgZrbyH.gif

Look at what we got from out of small names last season like Arfield, Kamara, Goldson etc. last season. Admittedly Defoe stepped up when we needed him but not signing him on a permo is no skin off my back, more about getting the most out of some committed individuals than signing big names. So much of the Scottish game comes down to determination and fight than being a big name prodigy.

I don’t mean this offensively, but I find the clamour for a ‘big name’ pathetic and childish.

All I care about is if they are good players, good value for money and will do a job for Rangers - I couldn’t give a shiny shite if they’re a ‘big name’ or not.

I think the question and demand is for money of around 4/6 million on one player! Could be from Holland Denmark or Belgium but we need a statement of intent IMO

Back