We gave it our best shot

Rangerslion

With the squad we had available and the players we have out injured. That was our best effort. To be honest even with the players we had out last night then we would have probably lost as well. Our squad didn't cost that much to put together, barring what Ramsey and Diallo are worth, but even then they're loan players. The players gave us everything, maybe a lack of experience at the elite level meant nerves played a big part, but they still got us there and still tried their hardest. I'm a big believer in when a team plays shite it's the other teams tactics that makes them look bad. I think the Germans got their tactics spot on tonight and let us knock the ball around at the back but swamped us as soon as it got to midfield, which forced us to play long balls a lot. But at the end of the day our players gave us everything they had, maybe we just didn't have enough about us to get over the line and we need to see the reality, rather than what some are doing and slaughtering our players. It's a hard one to take but see it for what it is.

They are not a great side, I doubt we have played a side from one of the "elite" leagues as poor at set pieces or in attack; had our big performers brought that to the game last night we could looking at a different outcome. We had the winning of that in front of us; this will hurt for a long time.

Unfortunately we picked the worst time to get nervy. We didn't pose much of a threat
all night. I think Tav was a bit intimidated by Kostic and just didn't play well.

We had short spells where we penetrated their defense but couldn't thread that final
pass through. It was a pretty lackluster performance overall.

That’s the gauling thing though, I don’t think we did give it our best shot. Several players performed well below their best last night, for whatever reason. We gave up a cheap goal. The same cheap goal we’ve been giving up all season if I’m honest.

So I have to disagree. We didn’t give it our best shot. If we had we would have won because Frankfurt were poorer than some of the sides we beat on the run to the final

That’s the gauling thing though, I don’t think we did give it our best shot. Several players performed well below their best last night, for whatever reason. We gave up a cheap goal. The same cheap goal we’ve been giving up all season if I’m honest.

So I have to disagree. We didn’t give it our best shot. If we had we would have won because Frankfurt were poorer than some of the sides we beat on the run to the final
Fair summary of a wasted opportunity.

In addition I thought use of substitutions were poor, would've liked to have seen Roofe on earlier and despite his inexperience, Lowry was the type to cause them problems in extra time as they tired, although I always suspected GVB was unlikely to trust his inexperience.

Fair summary of a wasted opportunity.

In addition I thought use of substitutions were poor, would've liked to have seen Roofe on earlier and despite his inexperience, Lowry was the type to cause them problems in extra time as they tired, although I always suspected GVB was unlikely to trust his inexperience.
I agree with you on Roofe, but it’s hard to be critical without knowing his fitness. Personally I would have put him on ahead of Sakala.

As for Lowry, I’m guessing he didn’t want to put that much responsibility on him. We’ll never know if he would have been our saviour or the game would have passed him by. It could have gone either way.

My big regret is giving up the equalizer. It was the same cheap goal we’ve given up several times this season. You would think we would learn. If we had only held the lead a little longer I think Frankfurt would have panicked

I agree with you on Roofe, but it’s hard to be critical without knowing his fitness. Personally I would have put him on ahead of Sakala.

As for Lowry, I’m guessing he didn’t want to put that much responsibility on him. We’ll never know if he would have been our saviour or the game would have passed him by. It could have gone either way.

My big regret is giving up the equalizer. It was the same cheap goal we’ve given up several times this season. You would think we would learn. If we had only held the lead a little longer I think Frankfurt would have panicked

In a nutshell. We picked the wrong night not to turn up, and conceded our usual and predictable stupid goal when in front. There was a terrible inevitability after that Frankfurt equaliser, the Kent miss just compounding that it wasn't going to be our night. My biggest regret is that we won't have a better chance to win another European trophy.

Last night hurt, it still hurts. There will always be "what if" moments that'll haunt me - "what if Goldson flicks his foot out", "what if Kent takes THAT chance" etc. But at the end of the day, it didn't happen for us on the night. Win on Saturday, at least salvage some silverware - the players, management and the fans deserve it.

Thereafter, I know I will look back on this European run with great fondness. I've experienced some of the best nights I've ever had at Ibrox.

2008 was a slog. 2022 was a pleasure.

I have immense pride in our players and our fans.

Its the bit I cant shake tbh, we didn’t give it our best. I dont know if it would have taken them to score first or what to bring us out but we have so much more than we showed
Here’s one, did Lundstram after so many tremendous displays cross the half way line? Exaggerating but you hopefully get my point

It's easy to say we didn't turn up. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say the other team won the key battles because they are better

Kostic won the battle v tav
Kamada won the battle v Jack
Knauff won the battle v barasic
Borre v goldson
Etc etc

Man for man they should be outplaying us, the fact we took it to penalties without a main striker and with our tactics nullified by frankfurt is a damn good effort

Its the bit I cant shake tbh, we didn’t give it our best. I dont know if it would have taken them to score first or what to bring us out but we have so much more than we showed
I know what you're saying, we didn't play as good as we know we're capable of I agree mate. But, I don't believe it was down to players not giving 100%. Players have my respect and my empathy as they'll be hurting too (despite some pathetic attitudes toward them on this forum).

We didn't play as good as we know we're capable of I agree mate. But, I don't believe it was down to players not giving 100%.

Definitely not and I would never say that but we gave 100% to holding on. Man I’m try to move on but … lol

I've been stewing all day about that equaliser, after them gifting us our goal it was infuriating we gave them it back from nowhere and so cheaply, and yes, we've seen the same mistakes all season.

I too had questioned if they would panic, or at least lose their shape a bit, if we had kept it 1-0 beyond 75mins.

Would've been a lot of responsibilty on young Lowry and that was how I suspected GVB probably would be reluctant to play him.

For all that other teams play 18 year olds, even in cup finals, if the game passed him by well it puts him in the same place as some of his more experienced colleagues.

We didn't play as good as we know we're capable of I agree mate. But, I don't believe it was down to players not giving 100%.

Definitely not and I would never say that but we gave 100% to holding on. Man I’m try to move on but … lol
I know mate. Whilst the Scottish Cup can't make up for it, I'm delighted we immediately have a chance of winning a significant trophy. It would be a long few weeks if we didn't have this match coming up and even worse if the scum were playing for a treble!

Today we hurt, Saturday we hopefully celebrate and in time, we get over Wednesday.

As I said yesterday.

All I wanted from our players was for each of them to say at the end of the game, I played my heart out and gave it my best shot.

There were far to many in the dressing room at the end that couldn't say that............

A brave performance yes, but I feel it will live long in the memory for most in relation to what could and should've been achieved last night.

I disagree.

Bassey apart, who was truly immense, there is not one other outfield player can argue he gave it his 'best shot.'

That's now two major European finals where are players have failed to show up.

Of course there are mitigating factors. The heat for one, and Alfie's injury of course.

But performane wise Wednesday night was a let down and very few of this current squad of players will get the same chance ever again.

We didnt give it our best shot.

Some of our biggest players let the occasion get to them.

There were players out there who werent giving what they should even if they didnt have the skill.

This is totally unfair, there's a big difference between not playing well and not giving your all and accusing the players of that is way off.

If players weren't giving their all the game doesn't go all the way to penalties.

As I said yesterday.

All I wanted from our players was for each of them to say at the end of the game, I played my heart out and gave it my best shot.

There were far to many in the dressing room at the end that couldn't say that............

A brave performance yes, but I feel it will live long in the memory for most in relation to what could and should've been achieved last night.

You really think there were players not as desperate to win as the rest of us? Of course they were FFS.

Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit, they nullified our threats and won key battles, that does not mean our players weren't giving all they had, a really unfair accusation.

Played poorly for large parts but if only Goldson had launched that ball into Row Z we would be now sitting with the trophy…Will haunt us all for a long time.

We shat the bed imo
Probably the first time the players have went into a EL game thinking they have a real chance to lift the thing and they shat their pants at having that responsibility.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in the knockout ties they basically played with the shackles off knowing they were underdogs.

Probably the first time the players have went into a EL game thinking they have a real chance to lift the thing and they shat their pants at having that responsibility.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in the knockout ties they basically played with the shackles off knowing they were underdogs.

We were underdogs on Wednesday too, they never played well in parts but that had a lot to do with the oppositions tactics, this 'shat themselves' stuff is a nonsense, if that was the case they wouldn't have gone all the way to penalties.

The heat contributed to both teams being pretty poor and below their best. Play that game in 20 degrees and we press more and it’s a better game. Also in extra time we were the ones who looked more likely

I'm sorry to be a pedant, but Ramsay's penalty proved he didn't give his all. He's got no emotional, spiritual or professional commitment to Rangers and his lacklustre couldn't give a f#ck penalty proved that. While we'll be languishing in pain for the next few weeks he'll be off to some other mugs and won't give us a second thought

Goldson, Tavernier, Kamara, Aribo and Kent were far from their best. Very far.

That was not our best shot. Nowhere near it. Too many big players simply didnt turn up.

This is totally unfair, there's a big difference between not playing well and not giving your all and accusing the players of that is way off.

If players weren't giving their all the game doesn't go all the way to penalties.
Some players crumbled under pressure which is a difference from not playing well. Its not surprising as its been a common theme for us we need to improve on.

It was a fantastic run to the final, absolutely amazing and the effort in some of the games was unreal.

On the final we absolutely did not give it our best shot.

It's amazing we actually came so close because we played terribly, Tav was a mess all night, Lundstram.didnt do anything and Kent hardly kicked a ball all night.

I'm not going to go in heavy on them because it can happen it's just a shame it had to happen in the final.

In the tournament, absolutely. In the final, no, we never got near our best and even then could have won. Will always be a regret.

In the tournament, absolutely. In the final, no, we never got near our best and even then could have won. Will always be a regret.

We weren’t at our best but I don’t think the extreme heat allowed us to play our high intensity pressing game and we were always very wary of being caught on the break which is their biggest strength .

When extra time started we should have made multiple changes and really gone for it, never fancied us in a penalty shoot out

With the squad we had available and the players we have out injured. That was our best effort. To be honest even with the players we had out last night then we would have probably lost as well. Our squad didn't cost that much to put together, barring what Ramsey and Diallo are worth, but even then they're loan players. The players gave us everything, maybe a lack of experience at the elite level meant nerves played a big part, but they still got us there and still tried their hardest. I'm a big believer in when a team plays shite it's the other teams tactics that makes them look bad. I think the Germans got their tactics spot on tonight and let us knock the ball around at the back but swamped us as soon as it got to midfield, which forced us to play long balls a lot. But at the end of the day our players gave us everything they had, maybe we just didn't have enough about us to get over the line and we need to see the reality, rather than what some are doing and slaughtering our players. It's a hard one to take but see it for what it is.
Your wrong abiut that, we didn't play anywhere near our best, too many of our big performers failed to step up, who knows why, the occasion, the heat, our guys didn't perform, simple as that really

You really think there were players not as desperate to win as the rest of us? Of course they were FFS.

Sometimes you have to give the opposition credit, they nullified our threats and won key battles, that does not mean our players weren't giving all they had, a really unfair accusation.
They seemed to have a man extra in every area of the pitch. We couldn't find space anywhere. Would an extra man in midfield have helped us, go with just 2 up top.

We took the game to the very last kick of the tournament. The players gave their all and I thought we looked the stronger side in extra time. Quite a number of players struggling with fitness and no recognised striker. With the benefit of hindsight, we should have started with Davis.
It was a very tight,tactical game on an extremely hot night. Fine margins.

We didnt give it our best shot.

Some of our biggest players let the occasion get to them.

There were players out there who werent giving what they should even if they didnt have the skill.
I'm sure the Frankfurt supporters would say the same, they played far better against Barcelona and West Ham but just had a bit of luck on their side. Players aren't machines, I think the occasion did get to them. Also the effect of the heat cannot be underestimated.

I'm sure the Frankfurt supporters would say the same, they played far better against Barcelona and West Ham but just had a bit of luck on their side. Players aren't machines, I think the occasion did get to them. Also the effect of the heat cannot be underestimated.
Frankfurt played to their best and its why it is annoying

Some players crumbled under pressure which is a difference from not playing well. Its not surprising as its been a common theme for us we need to improve on.

I think a few felt the occasion for the first 20 minutes or so, but got to grips with it. I just think Frankfurt had a wee bit more about them on the night, and even then we took it all the way and really should have won at the end.

I think a few felt the occasion for the first 20 minutes or so, but got to grips with it. I just think Frankfurt had a wee bit more about them on the night, and even then we took it all the way and really should have won at the end.
What has helped me a very small bit was seeing that Kent's effort at the end would have probably been ruled out if it had gone in.

Back