We have no belief in ourselves any more

These toothless displays stem from belief.

When we had it, went toe to toe with some very good European teams.
Now we don't have it, and even better teams are swatting us aside.

How do we get it back?
Always going backwards is lacking confidence even Steve McManaman said so in commentary.
Its not the first time, we constantly do it against the filth to

Did we ever play in Europe and not “have a go” under Gerrard?
I bet he was sat there watching us tonight like Don Revie watching Clough’s Leeds
Agreed. He probably thought WTF is going on with that team?

Reactions: BWO
I'm sorry man but I don't think you know what you're talking about. Liverpool are capable of absolutely scudding teams 10x better and 50x more expensive than ours.
Do you want Rangers being so passive and standing off opponents, hoping for the best. And I know what I am talking about. I know Liverpool’s quality, their budget and the gulf. But we should have a game plan, a first touch, a press, an aggression and confidence in possession. Our plan and our attempts at possession were embarrsssing for 80 minutes.

Thanks for the reply.

Liverpool played four up front probably the only time they'll play this way is against Rangers. They suffocated us as we don't have the quality to get out. You saw this with Davis, Lundstram and Kent.

There's a reason they're with us.

I know your hurting, I am too, but Liverpool are probably two or three levels above us atm. 12 years ago we were in div 3.

The journey might be completed domestically... but on a Euro Champs League Level, we're in at the basement fella atm.

Liverpool are several levels above us. In no way am I denying that. That does not explain how poor we were. That is the biggest 2 - 0 pumping I’ve seen. They could’ve put 7 or 8 past us and it wouldn’t have been unfair.

We didn’t even compete, at any point. The amount of times we played 2 consecutive passes… once, maybe twice in 90 minutes?

This is not a singular event.

I genuinely think some on here think Gerrard had us in the Final of the Europa League last year before GVB was appointed, not on the brink of elimination
Gerrard wouldn't have taken us to that final, he was too dogmatic with his 433.

But neither would Gio have if he'd stuck to the negative style of football he started with last season.

He realised that our players played to a certain strength and changed HIS style to accommodate it and we flourished in Europe.

He played Gerrards way but made small tactical changes during games which made the difference.

Now this season we are back to playing HIS way and are suffering.

Negative, possession based tactics, even at home against jobbers of teams.

Last edited:
Liverpool have in Mo Salah one of the maybe top 10 players in the world? One of the best right backs in the world. One of the best centre backs in the world. Spent 80 mil on a striker this summer.

We lost. Of course we lost.

I'm not Gio's biggest fan but there's nothing to read into tonight.
Except our clueless performance.

How do we get it back?
It also stems from fitness. We were second to the ball all over the park. We were static, they were active. My understanding is that the coaches have sacrificed some fitness training for technical skill training. Tonight I saw the consequences of the former but not the benefit of the latter. I can accept that a team which has cost probably £300/400 million will be better than us but not that they should be fitter. That is totally unacceptable.

Liverpool have in Mo Salah one of the maybe top 10 players in the world? One of the best right backs in the world. One of the best centre backs in the world. Spent 80 mil on a striker this summer.

Exactly the attitude our players had,

Parma team 99 would beat this Liverpool team no problem.

We just had to give it a go but seemed like we were beat before a ball was kicked and that’s down to the manager.
Pathetic.

Liverpool are several levels above us. In no way am I denying that. That does not explain how poor we were. That is the biggest 2 - 0 pumping I’ve seen. They could’ve put 7 or 8 past us and it wouldn’t have been unfair.

We didn’t even compete, at any point. The amount of times we played 2 consecutive passes… once, maybe twice in 90 minutes?

This is not a singular event.
We weren't poor Liverpool are miles above us. Let that sink in... They'll do this to better sides than us and pump them 4 5 6 nil.

We lost to two set pieces, free kick and a pen. The players gave their all.

Gerrard 2018-2022 - never lost by more than 2 goals.

GVB - lost by 4 goals twice, 3 goals twice.

Last season’s EL run was amazing but we’re clearly not as difficult to beat as we were under Gerrard.
And even he wasn’t faultless.

I was pretty scathing of Gio after the first week in September but we need to make the best of what we have for now. First time he drops points in the league again the pressure will be on but let’s hope that’s after the World Cup (or beyond).

Ultimately Gio and this board will be judged on what we win this season.

I think it's obvious it's down to the tactics and the manager , really is that simple

There is an argument that he made us money improving Bassey but there's also the argument he has cost us just as much with the regression of key assets such as kent , kamara & tav.

We had no intention of trying to win tonight. Exactly the same as Ajax where the same manager came out and said we can't compete
Maybe we can now stop all the talk of moving to England, we would need to buy a new team, Liverpool are so many levels above us, that much is obvious after tonight.

We weren't poor Liverpool are miles above us. Let that sink in... They'll do this to better sides than us and pump them 4 5 6 nil.

We lost to two set pieces, free kick and a pen. The players gave their all.

Sorry, but disagree. Shagger saved us an embarrassing scoreline. You can get pumped but still have competed and offered something. We did neither. At no point did we put them under pressure, despite their defensive problems. It wasn't a backs against the wall performance, we just didn't offer anything.

I'm not Gio's biggest fan but there's nothing to read into tonight
How about against out domestic rivals then?

Maybe we can now stop all the talk of moving to England, we would need to buy a new team, Liverpool are so many levels above us, that much is obvious after tonight.
Maybe just a few new players, just like most seasons, and a new manager, with, dare I say it, positive tactics.

How do we get it back?
Ironic that your OP Title describes..

You.

I think it's obvious it's down to the tactics and the manager , really is that simple

There is an argument that he made us money improving Bassey but there's also the argument he has cost us just as much with the regression of key assets such as kent , kamara & tav.

We had no intention of trying to win tonight. Exactly the same as Ajax where the same manager came out and said we can't compete
It's down, in the main, to the level of opposition.
I say this as a critic of Gio.

We played for a respectable defeat and that’s what we got. There was absolutely no game plan to have a go at all . Played like bitches

It seems some fans are just looking past the fact the team showed very little desire fight and literally no tactical prowess, the nature of all our defeats has been quite embarrassing. If you want to put it down club finances and player worth then you have your head in the sand, howcome spfl dross with a fraction of the budget we have give us a game quite too often ?

How do we get it back?
As others have said, this manager has sucked every bit of confidence we had as a European team out of us.
Further, we don't look as fit as we did under Gerrard.
The entire shambles we have become in one year of Gio, can only be the manager's fault.

Yes, he took us to a European final, but in truth he was getting a song out of Gerrard's team.

I hope I am wrong, but tonight we gave Liverpool far too much respect.
It was a Liverpool side that lacked confidence with a defence that shipped three goals to Brighton on Saturday and had come under severe criticism.
We didn't lay a glove on it.

Our performance was cowardly.
I hate admitting that, but it very much sums the manager up as well.

As for Ryan Kent, if he doesn't get dropped then I want to see the pictures that he has of Gio.

There's losing and competing, we just don't do it.

Club Brugge is pointing the way, annual losers in the CL, but now with belief, they top their group.

Can we learn?

That was another Chamber of Secrets performance from our players tonight. Totally froze and didn’t play like we know they can like last season in the EL.
Taking into account the level of opponents in the two games I'd say your analysis is so far from the truth. The performance at the chamber of secrets was way way worse than tonight

We just had to give it a go but seemed like we were beat before a ball was kicked and that’s down to the manager.
Pathetic.

Are you arguing that because a Rangers side once beat the Uefa cup winners in 1999 that we should have played better against 2022's champions League finalists in 2022?

I don't remember Parma making many champions League finals.

It’s utterly depressing watching what we were during the 55 season to now.

Take CL out of it, we’ve been dire all season and hearts done us a favour going to 10men on Saturday.

Sooner the coward in the dugout is gone the better.
Sorry, I typed out an actual response to your bullshit point. Then I realised you don't appreciate how football works. Yiu don't deserve football

Pathetic.
No they wouldn't have, as good a Parma team it was, this Liverpool team are better

The problem is in order to get rid of gio (if that’s what we want) you would effectively need to write of this season because no chance the board would get rid of him until we are double figures behind in the league

Stop admiring these teams. This shit of "the gulf is so big" is pathetic. Go out on the park and give zero respect to the opposition. Fucking match them for effort. Bully, press, grab, pinch, poke and annoy the shit out of them. At every opportunity. If they are a level above, drag them down. The days of honour in football are long gone, if they ever existed. The way we've played these last two away games in Europe is an absolute dream for these pricks.

Do you want Rangers being so passive and standing off opponents, hoping for the best. And I know what I am talking about. I know Liverpool’s quality, their budget and the gulf. But we should have a game plan, a first touch, a press, an aggression and confidence in possession. Our plan and our attempts at possession were embarrsssing for 80 minutes.
See when we play St Johnstone, do you expect to come up against a confident side with a gameplan that might well take something off us or do you expect we should leather them 4-0?

Piss off

So were Dortmund, Liepzig, Porto and the rest, but we set up to compete in those games with our best starting line up, formation and tactics. We’re going backwards in every regard under Gio as time goes by. What he inherited, and all that has been good about Rangers since Gerrard arrived is eroding and fading fast.

Back