We have the two best strikers in Scotland.

55degreesnorth

Before anyone starts banging on about Edouard, he's a class player and will have a good career but there's two reasons that he's not in the top two.

One, Alfredo's stats are absolutley staggering this season, besides the point that he was the top goal scorer in Scotland last season.

Second reason is simply, Jermain Defoe. I said to a boy today that was watching the game with me, when JD was warming up "he'll grab a double". He's simply the best finisher in Scotland. Alfie has an immense all round game but its absolute suicide from an oppostion point of view to give JD any space or time in the 18 yard box because, as a great article stated when he was linked with us, he's made a career out of absolutely twatting the ball into the back of the net. What a position we are in.

Alfredo is the top striker in Scotland but I would have Edouard over Defoe any day
Except Edouard wouldn't offer what JD does. Ian Ferguson said on RTV about how dispiriting it must be for St J to have Defoe coming on as a sub and he was right.

How wretched must you feel as a defender to be Alfied for an hour and then have Defoe to contend with? Best tag team since the days of Mick McManus and Kendo Nagasaki ;)

Defoe and Morelos are collectively far better than Edouard and Bayo that’s for sure.

Looks like elephant man Griffiths is third pick right now at the knewcamp which says it all as Bayo has scored the massive amount of 2 goals in 2019.

Take Edouard who’ll start crying in the papers soon about how he hates Scottish football out of the filth side and they’ve next to nothing up front at the minute.

We are very lucky to have 2 top quality strikers. Although I do agree I would have Edouard over Defoe given the choice. Edouard is quality and always scores big goals.

people forgetting that Morelos cost us £1m and Defoe cost us wages?

Edouard cost around the price you'd expect a lower English Premiership side to pay and he's still not scored as many goals as Morelos. I'd be expecting 30 goals a season at least for a player supposingly worth £9m

Defoe is great but I'd have Edouard over Defoe as well. Good striker and good sell on potential.

However, he's not and at the moment Defoe and Alfredo have to be considered the top boys striker wise in Scotland at the moment.

I think Defoe might be the best substitute coming on in games we are leading that we've ever had.

Give him space, he scores. Simple as that.

Can't compare really soon the press will have Edouard at £50 mill plus ,where our wee buffalo is worth about £8 mill according to these experts .
But what do they know Edouard could not lick Alfie's boots ,and don't know Defoe's stats for goals per min played but it must be superb.
Looks not a bad player Edouard but see if he's as good in the cold

Would be interesting to dig up that thread from the start of the season voting on who should be our number 1 striker.

If I remember correctly it was fairly even, but it certainly had a lot of very vocal folk who went with Defoe, would be interesting to see if their opinion has changed much. Won’t name any names but noticed one of them has waxed lyrical about Defoe’s couple of goals (both great finishes btw) whilst Morelos only got credit for getting a goal at a good time. One thing’s for sure, we had prominent posters who genuinely valued Morelos at ££5-8m.

Always said it should be Alfie, but love both our front man and it warms the heart to see the wee bond between the two of them. I have no doubt Defoe is a brilliant influence on Morelos too so he’ll be doing as a turn on and off the pitch.

Would be interesting to dig up that thread from the start of the season voting on who should be our number 1 striker.

If I remember correctly it was fairly even, but it certainly had a lot of very vocal folk who went with Defoe, would be interesting to see if their opinion has changed much. Won’t name any names but noticed one of them has waxed lyrical about Defoe’s couple of goals (both great finishes btw) whilst Morelos only got credit for getting a goal at a good time. One thing’s for sure, we had prominent posters who genuinely valued Morelos at ££5-8m.

Always said it should be Alfie, but love both our front man and it warms the heart to see the wee bond between the two of them. I have no doubt Defoe is a brilliant influence on Morelos too so he’ll be doing as a turn on and off the pitch.

Shouldn't even be up for discussion tbh. Morelos offers so much more and is absolutely crucial to our style of play.

I'd have Morelos start every match and switch to Defoe if Morelos not firing and/or has fired and game is safe at 60-75mins.

Keep Morelos fresh, mix it up witha different style striker when legs are tired.

Although if Alfie was on 2 goals I'd wait for the third :D

Except Edouard wouldn't offer what JD does. Ian Ferguson said on RTV about how dispiriting it must be for St J to have Defoe coming on as a sub and he was right.

How wretched must you feel as a defender to be Alfied for an hour and then have Defoe to contend with? Best tag team since the days of Mick McManus and Kendo Nagasaki ;)

best tag team bar none was the Royle Brothers

Defoe and Morelos are collectively far better than Edouard and Bayo that’s for sure.

Looks like elephant man Griffiths is third pick right now at the knewcamp which says it all as Bayo has scored the massive amount of 2 goals in 2019.

Take Edouard who’ll start crying in the papers soon about how he hates Scottish football out of the filth side and they’ve next to nothing up front at the minute.
Griffiths wasn't even on the bench today. Anyone know what's going on with that? Back at the punting or sniffing again?

Edouard is definitely a more polished striker. He has better footballing technique and skills than Morelos. However Morelos has a better physical game. Morelos excels at running defenders ragged with power and energy and is a very good instinctive finisher in the box. Two very different strikers who suit different playing styles. Although it sounds contradictory I'd say Edouard is a better player but Morelos would score more goals. Depends what you want or need from your striker.

I saw Edouard's second goal when flicking back and forth into Sportscene. He took it very well.
He is a much more dangerous player than Defoe is currently.

I actually think Edouard is the best out the three. He was too big, too quick and too strong for us in the last game.

They do all offer something different though.

Forgetting the Edouard argument for a moment.

We have 2 brilliant strikers, but at times struggle to score in matches.
I’d really like to see if we could get Defoe and Morelos in the same team- maybe with Alfredo cutting in from the right?

Forgetting the Edouard argument for a moment.

We have 2 brilliant strikers, but at times struggle to score in matches.
I’d really like to see if we could get Defoe and Morelos in the same team- maybe with Alfredo cutting in from the right?

It's a shame we didn't get to try this more in pre season, every game is vital right now and if SG tried it and it didn't pay off, or took a few games to get to grips with the new system, the fans would be baying for blood.

It's a shame we didn't get to try this more in pre season, every game is vital right now and if SG tried it and it didn't pay off, or took a few games to get to grips with the new system, the fans would be baying for blood.
Agree mate, and also in only having the 2 proper strikers, we probably don’t have enough cover to play this way.

We say that, but how many times have we actually tried? And with which partner?
I think he’d be different with Defoe- they seem like good mates, whereas with other strikers he always seemed to see them more as rivals than teammates.

I think he’d be different with Defoe- they seem like good mates, whereas with other strikers he always seemed to see them more as rivals than teammates.
As far as I can remember he’s only been tried with lafferty.

Defoe is the ultimate poacher and Morelos has great ability to run the channels, outmuscle the centre halves and pull defenders out of position.

Seems like an ideal pairing for me.

Front three of kent Defoe and Morelos would be really interesting. Imo

I'd love to see us ditching the two holding midfielders and playing Morelos with Defoe, especially in games where teams are parking the bus.

Back