We looked more solid at the back tonight than in recent games

Coisty09

Official Ticketer
I thought that with big Bassey and Nathan as well as Balogun we looked much more solid at the back then we have done in recent matches.
I think Nathan has probably picked up a knock but I really don’t think we should be seeing much of Simpson and Borna over the next couple of weeks.

If Balogun plays every game then you'll be seeing a lot of Simpson as Balogun will break down because he can't play too many games in a row.

Last season was the most appearances Balogun has ever made in a season.

We're going to have to just put Simpson in for the easier games and hope for the best.

I’m no criticising the team at all here btw but you’re going to look solid at the back when the opposition rarely leave their own half and resort to maybe only 3 half hearted crosses in the box the last 12/13 minutes

Yes. That's the point though. We didn't let them play at all. You may remember that's how things were playing out this time last year. We werent necessarily playing out of our skin attacking wise, but we were playing in such a way that we limited the oppositions chances each game to virtually zero.

Tonight had shades of last year. Credit to Hagi for his instant impact though. Along with Alfie and Roofe on the score sheet, a Ianis assist was very Autumn 2020. More of the same please.

I’m no criticising the team at all here btw but you’re going to look solid at the back when the opposition rarely leave their own half and resort to maybe only 3 half hearted crosses in the box the last 12/13 minutes
We've lost easy goals to R County (x2), M'well, Dundee* and St J so far this season. Five goals conceded in six league games. Tonight Gerrard tweaked the formation and it worked and we looked much more solid.

*I know it was Dundee U but Stevie calls them 'Dundee' now and then...which gets the Arab horde in a froth...which is nice.

If Balogun plays every game then you'll be seeing a lot of Simpson as Balogun will break down because he can't play too many games in a row.

Last season was the most appearances Balogun has ever made in a season.

We're going to have to just put Simpson in for the easier games and hope for the best.
Is it any more of a risk to give one of the kids a shot at it in those 'easier' games if the only option to cover Balogun is to play Simpson?

One of the reasons we looked so good is Lundstram is a lot more mobile and athletic than Davis, so he can cut out passes and stop attacks better.

The more mobile our midfield is, the better. Playing with two press-resistant midfielders (i.e. any two of Kamara, Hagi, Aribo and Bacuna) and one of Lundstram/Jack/Davis is the combination we need to stick with. But I do wonder if we're starting to see the physical decline of Davis translate into our defence being tested more often.

One of the reasons we looked so good is Lundstram is a lot more mobile and athletic than Davis, so he can cut out passes and stop attacks better.

The more mobile our midfield is, the better. Playing with two press-resistant midfielders (i.e. any two of Kamara, Hagi, Aribo and Bacuna) and one of Lundstram/Jack/Davis is the combination we need to stick with. But I do wonder if we're starting to see the physical decline of Davis translate into our defence being tested more often.

The difference between Lundstram centrally and Lundstram right of a three is very noticeable.

He looks a lot more comfortable centrally.

Back