We looked out on our feet last night

It reminded me of the Feyenoord game at home where we blew them away in the first half but only had a single goal to show for it. We were then toiling after the hour mark and they began to come back into it.

It’s obviously by design with the hope that we’re a couple of goals to the good before we tire. The fact we haven’t been in either match and are then hanging on is something we need to improve upon, but nothing should diminish from what is a marvellous achievement by Gerrard and his players.

It’s not a popular opinion on here but the only slight criticism I have of SG is not rotating squad in earlier games. I think these calculated risks would have put us in better shape for games like Sunday. Defoe, katic, Stewart, flann, etc could have all had more game time this season without a massive drop in overal team performance

I just think we dropped off too much. Up to exactly 60 minutes we were playing the best football I’ve seen us play in years, then we just stopped pressing, dropped off and made Morelos isolated which is why the ball kept coming back.
It’s a strange tactic I’ve seen us do 5 or 6 times and I don’t think it works.

The conditions made it so much worse. Quick footed, top of the ground players will be straining much more if trying to keep balance on that kind of slippery surface. Anyone who's ever played in the rain on grass will know that you hold yourself differently and run unnaturally somewhat to try and avoid losing grip.

Could see how utterly gubbed Kent was by the time he came off. Aribo too. They were absolutely fcked.

Jock Wallace will be rotating in his grave if he reads this thread.

The team did look knacked in the last half hour but really there is no excuse. They are highly paid professional athletes, two games a week should not be beyond their fitness.

At tennis tournaments the top guys play every other day for anything between 2 and 5 hours. And that’s without team mates to give them a breather.

I just think we dropped off too much. Up to exactly 60 minutes we were playing the best football I’ve seen us play in years, then we just stopped pressing, dropped off and made Morelos isolated which is why the ball kept coming back.
It’s a strange tactic I’ve seen us do 5 or 6 times and I don’t think it works.

It's not a tactic ffs. Its physically impossible to do it for 90 minutes, especially against a good team who needed the 3 points. Plus when they brought their big centre forward on they went direct to him so there was no point pressing, we had to drop deeper to make sure we had enough cover if he won a high ball (which he pretty much did every time).

We defended really well, their goal was extremely lucky (I know we got a bit of luck with ours too).

People question our players "bottle" but to be honest it's the support's bottle I'd be questioning. Any spell of pressure from an opposing team and it's full on panic mode spreading round the stadium and getting on our players back instead of supporting them.

Last edited:
Absolutely running on empty in the last 30mins.
The squad is thin, as we saw last night. Their substitutions changed the game and we failed to conteract that. SG's use of,or lack of use of, his bench is the one worry I have.

Ojo for Kent changed nothing. One empty jersey for another on the night. No change is shape or formation and therefore no effect on proceedings.

I would've been tempted to use the other two subs simply to get fresh legs on to the pitch in the last 15mins. We got lucky in the end.
Is your ice cream too cold? Constant negativity. Have you put in type anywhere that it’s a great achievement by the team

We had Arfield and Aribo unable to have any effect on the game in the last 20mins. They should've been replaced by Halliday and Stewart.
The back four were tremendous last night and they kept us in it towards the end.

Halliday hasn't played in months. There's no way I'd be chucking him on expecting him to get up to speed immediately, I'd rather have a knackered Arfield or Aribo over a rusty Halliday.
Stewart fair point I'd have thought about bringing him but the manager has said on countless occasions he'd rather stick with the same players than bring on a player who will take a few minutes getting into the game. Given Gerrard's experience in the game I'll choose to trust him on this one.

It's not a tactic ffs. Its physically impossible to do it for 90 minutes, especially against a good team who needed the 3 points. Plus when they brought their big centre forward on they went direct to him so there was no point pressing, we had to drop deeper to make sure we had enough cover if he won a high ball (which he pretty much did every time).

We defended really well, their goal was extremely lucky (I know we got a bit of luck with ours too).

It's a mixed bag. We were very wasteful in possession for the majority of the second half. It led to us chasing the ball a lot more than we needed to. There was some really poor decision making and generally sloppy play and the whole thing led to us knackering ourselves further.

However, all said and done, we're through, it's a great achievement and a lift after the disappointment of the last week or so.

I'm hoping we have enough in the tank for a very tough game at the weekend. Motherwell will fancy their chances against us at home they're having a solid season.

2 or 3 changes on Sunday and we will be fine.

Jones played 60 minutes during the week, he must be due to a place on the bench and able to play 20 minutes or so.

I think the result of the Ojo project is in and everyone accepts it other than the manager and his team. Has the physique, the skill and has been very well coached but he just doesn't give a flier.
Also think the manager needs to reassess the potential opportunities for King, Docherty and Murphy. They may not be his ideals but they certainly can offer more than shattered favourites.
The other niggle is failure to get up in support of Alfie when he rolls their last defender and gets a shot away.

Still work to be done within the squad. We still have some players that we need off the wage bill, but we are finally at a stage where we should be looking at a couple of quality players who going straight in to the starting 11.

This place is bizarre at times. Still getting some complaining about Gerrards subs, form amongst other stuff.

We have just qualified for the knockout stages, we outplayed the scum for 90 mins and I’ve heard that big investment coming.

Are the possible options within the squad fit, ready and capable of coming in? If not, we need a clear out in January.
The team was shattered by the end of last night.

That's 3 big games in a row where first half we have been brilliant and the second half we have been ordinary. I think there defo is tiredness issues... its been a long season already!

If we want to continue pressing hard like Liverpool do then we need to understand they can only do it because they rotate so much in the middle of the park, their engine room!

Not complaining in the slightest but we seem to play this high pressure game where we use a lot of energy then we seem to drop out the game usually the last quarter .When the top teams play this way they have rests during the game to ensure they can dominate the last quarter. So they basically drop the pace but keep the ball and this stops the opposition getting a head of steam up . We still have not mastered the keep the ball bit yet, we give the ball away to cheaply once we do that honestly think we will become a very very good team in Europe especially.
Last night we dominated a good team first half and despite what some posters say did not get hammered in the second .If the ref had done his job we would have went in at halftime two up and probably run out three or four goal winners.
SG really has to trust his bench more and replace players who have run themselves into the ground before it starts affecting the direction of the game . My only critique about the manager

It’s weird that we seemed to have loads of centre midfielders , then last night With Davis missing we literally had no one to come on a play that position ( Halliday could possibly but hasn’t for a while )
Yes, this is where the likes of Docherty and King should really be coming in ... if they are not good enough they need punted and replaced ... it was clear that Jack and Kamara were knackered for the last 20 minutes

It’s not a popular opinion on here but the only slight criticism I have of SG is not rotating squad in earlier games. I think these calculated risks would have put us in better shape for games like Sunday. Defoe, katic, Stewart, flann, etc could have all had more game time this season without a massive drop in overal team performance
That's an unknown.

We are getting there and are playing some outstaning football at times, you can see what we are capable of but we urgently need better support for Morelos, sometimes he is doing everything, one thing that is bugging me is the lack of runners into the box when we get into good areas, time after time there is maybe one person breaking into the box.

Tiredness was always going to play a part in December given how many huge games had to be played in a short space of time.

Can’t keep expecting the same players to go to the well every 3-4 days. Far to many squad players signed but not trusted to start games last summer.

The team did look knacked in the last half hour but really there is no excuse. They are highly paid professional athletes, two games a week should not be beyond their fitness.

At tennis tournaments the top guys play every other day for anything between 2 and 5 hours. And that’s without team mates to give them a breather.
I’ve said this many times.

How pundits fans etc use this excuse about playing Saturday, Thursday, Sunday for example as very tiring is ridiculous

Still work to be done within the squad. We still have some players that we need off the wage bill, but we are finally at a stage where we should be looking at a couple of quality players who going straight in to the starting 11.

This place is bizarre at times. Still getting some complaining about Gerrards subs, form amongst other stuff.

We have just qualified for the knockout stages, we outplayed the scum for 90 mins and I’ve heard that big investment coming.

Correct. There is no point the likes of Docherty, King, Murphy, Halliday being here if the manager has no intention of playing them. Defoe, Stewart, Edmondson, Flanagan must be in with a shout of a start on Sunday.

He should be slowing the game down and interrupting their game by using subs. Everyone does it except us.

I wasn’t saying I agree with it just what his thinking is, he’s said it more than a few times why he does it.

I haven’t got the experience he has playing at the level he has, obviously, so I don’t know if his approach is right or wrong, but it’s definitely something he’s taken from his playing days into management.

1 more big push required over the next couple of weeks, then they all get a nice break. We can't afford to rest any of our key players imo

No wonder we looked tired Aberdeen away,cup final v tramps and young boys in just over a week and people on here can say what they want young boys are no mugs.Think it would have been totally different if Davis had made it.

McCrorie would have been a good option last 20 last night.

We need fit bodies to help get the team over the line in games like this.

No wonder we looked tired Aberdeen away,cup final v tramps and young boys in just over a week and people on here can say what they want young boys are no mugs.Think it would have been totally different if Davis had made it.

Davis was a huge miss. Especially last 30 minutes when we needed calm heads in the ball. Sadly kamara after playing really well made a couple of mistakes and then just started to even hoof it clear with no intent to keep the ball.

We never took our foot of the gas, we ran out of it.
Last Sunday was a massive physical and mental drain.
If we can go into the break, still only 2 points behind, or at worse 5pts as they will have had an extra game , I will be well happy.

Greg stewart should have been on for Aribo on 60 mins. Kent was having a shocker also and could have been hooked earlier

Sure, but a tennis player is not expected to give & receive crunching tackles every few minutes. A footballers body is conditioned for cardio, strength & sturdiness. If you took body contact out of the game then footballers conditioning would likely be very different.

I agree we looked really, really leggy. I love Gerrard and everything the team put in but he needs to help them more by using the squad and using his subs better. Ojo was a shambles when he came on last night mind you...

We need fresh legs in the team on Sunday.

We can’t rest all on Sunday eg: morelos Kent jack etc

Kent and Aribo looked the most knackered and I think after Kenya injury he has played loads so maybe rest those 2 with jones/Ojo or steward taking the wide berths with Alfie up front ... hopefully we can get a cpl goals then take Alfie off after 60/70 for Defoe

On the evidence of the last three games it would seem that there is a certain amount of battle fatigue setting in after the hour mark. Kamara in particular, who had a great first hour last night and against the scum on Sunday, struggles to maintain it for 90 mins. He lost possession and Jack had to take the guy out and incurred his first booking which could prove costly. Worrying with two tough away games coming up against Well and Hivs.

Gerrards use of subs can be horrendous at times. They had made 3 subs by about 70 minutes whilst we still hadn’t made one.

Everyone could see we were starting to tire and needed fresh legs.

Then for the only sub we did make to be the most useless guy on the bench as well.

Can we afford to rest Morelos on Sunday? I don’t think we can.

They'd made three subs because they were throwing attackers on and very much rolling the dice to chase a game that they were being dominated in by a very well set-up Rangers side who were on course to win the group and knock YB out...

Context is important.

Our gameplan is generally to play at high intensity so with the number of games we've played it's not really surprising we are struggling a bit. And there couldn't be much rotation for the last few games due to the importance.

Back