We must exercise caution Bears

Numanloyal

As much as I’ve enjoyed the recent euphoria nothing is in the bag yet.

many bears who lived through the seasons of :
1978-79 - we were heading for a treble & a European Cup at this stage of the season & the mhanky mob only had a run of league games to worry about, their pitch was so bad in the winter they never had any games to play in such conditions.

2007-2008- another treble for us on the horizon and a uefa cup run
Fixture pile up allied to a corrupt sfa hampered us.

1978-79 - we were heading for a treble & a European Cup at this stage of the season & the mhanky mob only had a run of league games to worry about, their pitch was so bad in the winter they never had any games to play in such conditions.

this euphoria is giving me the fear

I did happen to read over 2007/08 results last night as I remember the collapse but was t sure if the extent. We duffed up royally in the last 9 games.

Definitely cause for caution, however, confident in this team to keep consistency.

EDIT: On reflection, poor choice of words from myself not taking into account other factors which came in to play that season.

Last edited:
Realistically we can afford to lose 4 games out of 15 given our goal difference unless the mentally challengeds start hammering teams which looks unlikely. Given our form this season I do not see us losing roughly 30% of our remaining games. OP is right that it is not over until it is mathematically over however I think we can be fairly confident that 55 is in the bag unless we see a collapse never before seen in the game.

And those stats I mention are presuming they win every game which is VERY unlikely.

The horizon is in sight bears B-D

We should be focusing on going through the league undefeated.

Off the field we have been presented with the perfect opportunity to highlight the corruption within the Scottish game and clear out the puppets.

Moreover, Celtic should be penalised to such an extent over Dubai and Duffy that they face a fight for second place.

Celtic are an absolute fucking shambles, we are the epitome of professionalism and consistency, will I %^*& be exercising caution after a decade of having dirt kicked in our face, I'm loving every minute of it and suggest others do the same instead of dreaming up worst case scenarios.

Rangers teams in this sort of groove don't come along often, don't let it pass you by being a big fearty.

It’s been so long. Folk don’t want to assume anything till it’s mathematically done. Some don’t want to jinx it.

If they win their games in hand and 2’games against us it’s 6 points.

they won’t though but I get why some are worried
Plus win all their remaining games between now and then, which the doom mongers conveniently forget and is never going to happen with that defence anyway. The lead will be 23 minimum come Sunday night imo and we will still have people more worried about them than positive about us on here.

It’s not over until it’s over.

In my lifetime we arguably threw away 1966, 1968, 1979, 1998 and 2008, although chicanery and fixture-fiddling played a role in 3 of these.

Hearts chucked away 1959 and 1986.

Celtic blew 2005 and were awarded an incomplete title last year by a rule-change.

Celtic are an absolute fucking shambles, we are the epitome of professionalism and consistency, will I %^*& be exercising caution after a decade of having dirt kicked in our face, I'm loving every minute of it and suggest others do the same instead of dreaming up worst case scenarios.

Rangers teams in this sort of groove don't come along often, don't let it pass you by being a big fearty.
Nailed it.

Time to look at this logically. On their present course, Celtic are due to end the season with around 84 pts, which is pretty decent, in fact 2 pts more than they won the title in 2018. Generally, the SPFL title is won with a points tally of around 86 pts. The Rodgers Invicibles year is an outlier, it doesn't happen very often at all.

What this means in effect is that we need 7 wins. Before the split we have 5 home games, all against sides presently ranked 6th and below. Given our home form up until now, it is difficult to see how we don't get 15 pts from those matches. And although we have a couple of tricky venues to go to, we do have Motherwell and Hamilton (6th Feb) away before the split, giving us the 7 wins and 86 points before the split. I wouldn't be at all surprised to think that that will be enough for the title.

Think the difference this year is how professional we are. Gerrard admitted to the Athletic recently he’s still driven on by the nightmares of “the slip” and throwing away that title down south. He ain’t going to let up. We aren’t going to let up. We are the best coached team in the country by miles and I’ve came to the realisation that we are not going to lose the 4 games necessary to blow it.

The fact that the other lot are a complete basket case is a massive help too.
Enjoy it. It’s brilliant.

I think we ignore what they do and have a target of 100 pts, they could now win every game until the end of the season and that would only take them to 98 pts.

If we win every game until the end of the season we would have 110 pts from a possible 114.

For what it's worth, we have just won 15 league games on the bounce so it would take something special to keep that going and win the remaining 15 as well - we will drop points somewhere, but that mob look likely to continue to drop even more.

No celebrations from me yet.
Still only January and if the sharkthrowers get rid of the ginger psycho and replace him with someone competent.....
All it takes is one bad result for us, say being held to a draw by murderwell on Sunday, and this place will be as mental as anything.
Just an opinion.

07/08 was lost as much in the early part of the season as it was in the latter run.

We are not screwing this up this time, never mind that lot winning every game.
Added to that, the fixture pile up in 2008 was far worse than what we have coming up.

Added to that, the Celtic team back then was better than this current lot. They don’t look capable of going on a long unbeaten run.

Im loving this right now, feck hiding behind the couch until it’s mathematically impossible before I break out the Boydy grin!

It’s not over until it’s over.

In my lifetime we arguably threw away 1966, 1968, 1979, 1998 and 2008, although chicanery and fixture-fiddling played a role in 3 of these.

Hearts chucked away 1959 and 1986.

Celtic blew 2005 and were awarded an incomplete title last year by a rule-change.
Very true, I didn’t want to mention Hearts in 86 as because I’m more concerned about the Rangers , I can understand the “over the top & on to Berlin” comments of others in desperation of those who have never seen a title win.
Nevertheless I’m sure our approach will prevail going by the calm exterior of SG & co.

At this point in the season with the gap (if presume they win games in hand). Also considering goal difference (extra point).

This would be our biggest collapse?

If we threw it away now its that bad......I don't think the support or team would recover from.

Thats why I'm thinking this must be our season......if this was November I'd be much more concerned. I just feel at this point......we will not throw it away......on and off the park are favouring us.

All of that said.......ill still be shitting myself come Saturday night going into Sundays game!!

It's not over till....
nah, The fat lady is warming her vocal chords!

I'm going to enjoy every minute of every game from now until my blue bubbly is opened.

Maximum points against Motherwell, Ross Co and Hibs and then my confidence levels will severely go up. Win all 3 and it will have a massive physiological factor in scums players minds
That will leave us 7 games before the split with 4 of those at home leaves us in a very good position.
Still think we need a massive favour from Livingston on Saturday.

Plus win all their remaining games between now and then, which the doom mongers conveniently forget and is never going to happen with that defence anyway. The lead will be 23 minimum come Sunday night imo and we will still have people more worried about them than positive about us on here.

"Doom Mongers"?
No has said we are going to fail however as yet we haven't actually won the bloody thing and I'm pretty sure Steven Gerrard and the players won't be making assumptions that it's all over.

Sounding caution over premature victory is wise. I can never forget Newcastle Utd collapse when 12 points clear at the end of January 1996 to let Fergie's Man Utd take the title and after the last 10 years and recent seasons false dawns lets just haud back a wee bit until we're finally over the line which I'm 95% certain we will be at this stage.

Man I fucking hate the OGAAT mob.

It’s done, over, kapoot.
That mob are history.

Relax, enjoy and dry your panties out.
Exactly. Been hearing this same crap every week since we went 10 clear and they had 2 games in hand. They'll win all their games, they are used to winning things and we are not, nobody else will take any points off them etc. They've dropped 8 further points since then, have chosen to congest their fixture list so have an additional game in hand to play, and we've won every single game. They won't take 6 points from Livy in their next 2 games, nvm win all their remaining games including against us twice. Done, over, kaput, as you say.

I think the emotions of the day caught up with the team in the Celtic game understandingly. Yes we may have eased off against Aberdeen and become nervous, the big picture is we took 6 points from difficult games. Optimism runs high and no wonder after all the difficult years. Covid could come back to haunt us that's why all we can do IS TAKE ONE GAME AT A TIME. No fear NO SURRENDER, W.A.T.P.

Added to that, the fixture pile up in 2008 was far worse than what we have coming up.

Added to that, the Celtic team back then was better than this current lot. They don’t look capable of going on a long unbeaten run.

Im loving this right now, feck hiding behind the couch until it’s mathematically impossible before I break out the Boydy grin!
The part I’ve highlighted . You do realise it’s been 15 months since ANY team beat them in the league outside of ourselves ? It’s interesting to me that older , experienced bears on this thread are urging caution and have cited examples of us losing the title from being seemingly uncatchable. There’s a balance to be had between being delighted at where we are but also realising until that trophy is in the bag , anything can happen .

In both seasons that you mention our form in the last 15 league games if replicated this season would, in all probability, see us win the league.

In each of those years we beat celtic once in the last 15 games and if we do that this year then we are at least 15 points clear.

1978-79 we lost 4 and drew 1 of our other 14 games dropping the equivalent of 14 points which would not be enough this season for us to lose the league even if they won all their other games.

In 2007-08 we lost three and drew 3 dropping 15 points which could see us beaten to the title on goal difference if they win all their other games and there is a massive swing in the goal difference. The celtic of 2008 did not win all other games except the OF defeat they suffered and neither will this celtic team.

So yes caution and one game at a time but, at the same time, 55 let's live it up :))

it just seems to me too many aren’t letting themselves enjoy this season.
You can’t blame them. We’re too accustomed to seeing false dawns and collapses. It won’t happen this time though, we’re too far in front. 55 is coming, and the fact it hasn’t sunk in yet for many of us is enjoyable. It’s going to be something else.

The part I’ve highlighted . You do realise it’s been 15 months since ANY team beat them in the league outside of ourselves ? It’s interesting to me that older , experienced bears on this thread are urging caution and have cited examples of us losing the title from being seemingly uncatchable. There’s a balance to be had between being delighted at where we are but also realising until that trophy is in the bag , anything can happen .
They need to go not on an unbeaten run, but a winning run. How many have they drawn in this period?

I did happen to read over 2007/08 results last night as I remember the collapse but was t sure if the extent. We duffed up royally in the last 9 games.

Definitely cause for caution, however, confident in this team to keep consistency.

Can't help but feel this analysis is so harsh on our squad from back then. Being forced to play so many games in such a small window meant that we were completely dead on our feet, and the mentally challengeds got every single decision going during that run in, notably in the 3-2 loss at Parkhead. We were cheated out of that title, no more no less.

Agreed with the opening line we have 16 games to go so still a lot of football to be played. But that won't stop me enjoying for now the mess that they are in after everything we have been through as a support since 2012.

If we come out of this month with the 3 remaining games with 3 wins then for me it's all but done but for now 1 game at a time until then. The pressure is massive on them 21 point gap and they know they have to keep winning and hope we collapse but they will drop points along the way. Their schedule is pretty much Saturday Wednesday Saturday until March so it will catch up on them.

We just have to keep doing what we are doing and we will be champions.

Man I fucking hate the OGAAT mob.

It’s done, over, kaput.
That mob are history.

Relax, enjoy and dry your panties out.
It is not over by a long shot.
This coming week might make it more comfortable but potentially 12 points in it with two games against them is still close enough to need full care taken every week.

They are a good team and when at full strength, could rack up a number of wins plus we could get hit with a Covid outbreak ourselves and go on a bad run.

It looks great for us but we are not scoring as freely as we were a few months ago and sneaking some games.

They need to go not on an unbeaten run, a winning run. How many have they drawn in this period?
I agree with you I’m just pointing out how daft it is to say “ they won’t go on an unbeaten run “ . Unless against us , they don’t lose league games and haven’t done for over 15 months . A fact that seems to escape so many people .

This is in our hands if we can win our next 3 games we will be nearly there .

Back