We need to sign a proper striker

We have Roofe on the books, Morelos and Sakala.

I think we would struggle to find a better player than either of those three within our budget.

Despite any of them being bashed, we know they are more than capable.

It’s getting them firing that is the important thing just now, not signing a new player every time a player has a bad game or dip in form.

We really do need a goalscorer badly but we obviously need to work with who we have as the window is closed.

We need one to replace Morelos at this rate, Morelos in the form he’s in right now should be third choice. We need a striker who will take his chances and the current Morelos is playing on reputation because he’s not shown it this season.

Not a knee jerk reaction but I'm forced to agree with the OP.

Too many players signed and on our books who's contribution does precious little in securing the points.

It's a sub standard league we play in. A solid defence and potent finisher will inevitably win you the title and admit it or not but wee Alfie is not that guy this season and it's costing us.

We need someone who can find the back of the, either Roofe needs to get a decent run or we need to get someone who can score. I don't think Sakala is a finisher and his finishing is prob just as abysmal as Moreloes. When we buy we need to buy quality and not just more squad players from England.

Some big cvnt who can header a ball would be a decent option. Hearts bought on a giant today purely to lump the ball up to and hit at crosses to cause panic in the defence. Clearly not a great footballer but its an effective option to have on the bench. For us being a team now so reliant on crossing into the box i cant fathom why we dont gave that option.

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
Who’s going to buy barker Simpson and Wright???. Even if they where to be sold it wouldn’t be for a massive amount of money.

We have strikers but none who get a good run in the starting 11 as the number 9 so even if we sign another that isn’t changing anything.

Alfie is in poor form this season and should be starting on the bench for a while and guys like Sakala or Roofe starting through the middle to see what they can do.

In previous seasons European form has bailed Gerrard out which isn’t happening this year but then again the board didn’t back him in the summer…..

Roofe is a dangerous player but not an out and out striker, we 100% need a front man with some pace.

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
Who is buying the first two?
But I agree, finishing is the problem this season.

We've zero money to buy anyone in January. This is were I can see us selling what's looking like our best asset atm, Patterson, to fund another defender and striker.

39 year old Defoe puts away 3 of those chances today.
Defoe still has a part to play in our team based of what we seen from him last. I don't understand why he doesn't get SOME game time, I don't particularly believe he's dropped off so suddenly in training either. I'm not on the "hes too old" brigade either because those same people said that last time without realising he was our best striker in a goals to games pov and carried us through the hard month and a half.

Last time he had a run in the team was when Morelos was out in January 1.5 years ago. He single handedly won those games for us scoring in something like all but 1 he played in, the problem then was he was playing too much and getting injured easily (as you'd expect at his age), but he still had goals in him when he played.

I get he might not be able to play every week or every 2nd week but surely there's some games we can bring him on as a sub to get the goals in. Today would have been one of those games.

I remember playing a much stronger Hearts side at Ibrox a number of years ago who competed well on the day. We won 2-0 purely due to Kris Boyd. He didn’t get a fraction of the adoration Alfie gets but his goals from half chances won us game after game.

Back