We need to sign a proper striker

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
There’s a fly in your ointment there mate, who’s going to buy the 3 you mention?

As much as I agree that we need a proven goal scorer, i do believe Roofe and Sakala are more than capable. Some of the service into our strikers is also questionable at times.
There was more than enough service today. Should have scored 3 or 4 easily

It’s not just a striker.

How we’ve left ourselves with Jack Simpson as the next choice behind the injury prone/perennially travelling duo of Helander and Balogun is totally beyond me.
CH is a real worry.
Both CBs picked up bookings today,
Suspensions will eventually start kicking in ( 6 bookings I think) Balogun is away at African nations in January.
Helander will likely not be available to February after rehab

Some big cvnt who can header a ball would be a decent option. Hearts bought on a giant today purely to lump the ball up to and hit at crosses to cause panic in the defence. Clearly not a great footballer but its an effective option to have on the bench. For us being a team now so reliant on crossing into the box i cant fathom why we dont gave that option.
It's staring us in the face that we don't have a big target man who can win high balls in the box dare I say a big Jon Daly type!
It's a big part of our attack that we're missing at the moment.
I still think Itten could be that man if he gets a decent run of games, hopefully he'll get that in Germany and come back more match ready!

Should have signed the lad Nesbit from Hibs.Would score for fun in our team.
And the £4-5m comes from where to sign him?

Alfie literally rescued us 2 weeks ago and won a big 3 points for us. He had chances today and missed them but he seems to be the fall guy when we don't get a result. We have a goalscorer out on loan in Germany that we could be doing with.

And the £4-5m comes from where to sign him?

Alfie literally rescued us 2 weeks ago and won a big 3 points for us. He had chances today and missed them but he seems to be the fall guy when we don't get a result. We have a goalscorer out on loan in Germany that we could be doing with.
We fu*ked the money situation by failing to qualify for the champions league.How many chances does the man need per game?He misses far to many.Talk of a big move to a big club in a better league is just that talk.He is not scoring enough goals him or Roofe.We should be horsing teams like that today.But we are struggling to score goals agains utter dogshit defences.Or problem is not putting teams to the sword and inevitably they will get one or two chances and take them.Look at today Motherwell Dundee Utd to name three.Not good enough.
Agree with you wholeheartedly by the way Big Itten deserved a run.

I think Roofe playing for Jamaica now is going to be a pain in the ass for us. I’m sure if Roofe starts today he’d have got a goal.

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
How about we come up with a tactical approach that suits the ones we have rather than making them try to do an Alfie?

Would be testing HIVS resolve for Nisbet.
If we can finance the deal , think they turned down a good wad of cash for him last Jan.

They wanted £5m for him in the summer.

Absolutely mental money for a player of that quality, and thankfully we aren’t that daft.

To think I never really appreciated Kris Boyd at his peak first time round with us - but you're correct - someone like him in our team is a 30-goal a season return.

McCallister and Gerrard have talked loads this season about our forward-line needing to be a lot more ruthless. They've said it loads but it's the same shite every single week.

Are their methods and instructions, even orders, not getting through?
Taking Morelos poor fishing a side. He consistently drops into areas that are far too deep. Everything is walking pace when he gets the ball as well.

we need to get fresh faces in on january,as i think we have become stagnant,

that 2nd half was woeful compared to the 1st half

We fu*ked the money situation by failing to qualify for the champions league.How many chances does the man need per game?He misses far to many.Talk of a big move to a big club in a better league is just that talk.He is not scoring enough goals him or Roofe.We should be horsing teams like that today.But we are struggling to score goals agains utter dogshit defences.Or problem is not putting teams to the sword and inevitably they will get one or two chances and take them.Look at today Motherwell Dundee Utd to name three.Not good enough.
Agree with you wholeheartedly by the way Big Itten deserved a run.
I agree on chances and it's frustrating but it's part of football. The one with Roofe I actually think Roofe over hits it and thats why Alfie is stretching. The 2 of them got 3 pointe for us 2 weeks ago but I'm more annoyed at our keeper punching fresh air than chances missed.

Dundee Utd game we didn't play well and lost a terrible goal games like that happen. In terms of Nisbet even if we qualified for CL then I wouldn't be spending £5m on him either given he wouldn't play ahead of Alfie or Roofe. Letting Itten go on loan was just daft and not bringing someone in on loan to cover him going was a mistake as well.

We have too many players that can ‘ play across the front’. What we need is a penalty box poacher who isn’t interested in dropping wide or deep

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
Who is going to buy the above players and what price would we get for them to fund this striker given the finances of the club?

The question really should be how have we not improved the finishing of Morelos in his years at the club? What striking coaching has he been getting? What is defoe coaching?

Why didn’t we buy any quality strikers close season? Why did we bring in squad players , and not spend a penny ?
I think when you see our financial results that will come out next month you will understand why we did not spend any money.
We have lost a fortune as a result of the pandemic despite the European run.
Steven Gerrard showed his frustration with the financial situation a couple weeks ago but also understands the club has to work with and very tight budgets.
The reality is the second half against Malmo at home being a goal up and them having 10 men but still managing to lose cost us the opportunity to go into the transfer market.

Could be doing with a striker who has a good touch and doesn’t just leather a ball anytime in front of goal. Morelos technique for shooting is awful at times, he never places a ball into the corner. We need a striker who is a clean hitter of the ball.

Better use of subs would've won us the game today,it's on Gerrard! Alfie should've been taken off and sakala stuck on.

This might not be a popular opinion but the manager needs to tell Morelos that he can sit his fat arse on the bench until he gets in shape.

Or stop dreaming he is going to score goals from Firminos position/role for Liverpool ?

Hes very good at it in fairness but our other players don't score enough for us to carry him playing there.

Why didn’t we buy any quality strikers close season? Why did we bring in squad players , and not spend a penny ?
Not sure if your agreeing or not, but killing the wages of 4 or 5 squad players could fund a decent striker. We've got more than enough strength in depth, almost too much

I think when you see our financial results that will come out next month you will understand why we did not spend any money.
We have lost a fortune as a result of the pandemic despite the European run.
Steven Gerrard showed his frustration with the financial situation a couple weeks ago but also understands the club has to work with and very tight budgets.
The reality is the second half against Malmo at home being a goal up and them having 10 men but still managing to lose cost us the opportunity to go into the transfer market.
We got £10 m from Europa league . Season ticket money from 20/21 and hospitality £17m , which no fans received and no one asked for refund .

We have Morelos, Roofe, Sakala can't see us signing a striker any time soon.

Could do with a right sided creative forward with pace and an eye for goal though.

He was done last season it's why he was phased out. We should never have came into this season with him registered as a player still.
Not sure how much I agree with that,

2 goals 1 assist in 369 mins played last season, that gives him a 1 minute goal contribution per 123 mins played

For comparison Morelos was at 1 goal contribution in 119 mins in the league and 1 in 158 mins overall (cup +europe+league)

Kent who we can all agree had a brilliant season was 1 in 159 in the league.

I respect that stats don't mean everything, Defoe played in the easier games etc and he obviously can't play every single game, or even the full 90 mins like the other 2 mentioned, but I don't agree with him being "done". He clearly still has an eye for the goal and that's valuable. If Defoe had half those chances Morelos had today he would have scored at least a few.

Defoe still has an admittedly small part to play for us. Today was one of those games.

Not sure how much I agree with that,

2 goals 1 assist in 369 mins played last season, that gives him a 1 minute goal contribution per 123 mins played

For comparison Morelos was at 1 goal contribution in 119 mins in the league and 1 in 158 mins overall (cup +europe+league)

Kent who we can all agree had a brilliant season was 1 in 159 in the league.

I respect that stats don't mean everything, Defoe played in the easier games etc and he obviously can't play every single game, or even the full 90 mins like the other 2 mentioned, but I don't agree with him being "done". He clearly still has an eye for the goal and that's valuable. If Defoe had half those chances Morelos had today he would have scored at least a few.

Defoe still has an admittedly small part to play for us. Today was one of those games.
Done was maybe harsh on reflection but we shouldn't have came into this season with him as a striking option. If he wanted to continue playing then for me we should have let him go but I have no issue with the coaching side.

Today was one of those days where you get punished if you make a mistake it happens and we move on.

Could promote Rory Wilson to the first team and start him against some of the smaller teams in the league to see how he gets on.

He will be turning 16 in January, Ødegaard was playing in the Norwegian top division when he was 15.

No harm in finding out if he is good enough, there are the rumors that he might leave us for Man City anyway, giving him some first team game time might convince him to stay.

Back