We need to trim the squad

PrideOfGovanLoyal

Far too many players on our books. Reckon it looks near enough a squad of 35 we've got right now if Aribo & Edmundson sign. Guys that I've forgotten even existed like Joe Dodoo & Matt Polster still hanging around somehow.

I do believe Gerrard & Allen will have a couple of quality targets lined up, but we will not push the boat out for those until we shift a good amount of the deadwood - FACT.

We just can't afford to have this many non contributing players in our squad. Arguably Allen's most important task right now?

There are plenty of players ahead of Polster haha.

Get the point but there will be a raft of outs this summer some of which are being replaced already.

We need a big squad for the demands of Europe and league and cups , we got caught short couple of times last season when Morelos was suspended , and when others were out , definitely agree we need to trim down a bit but mentioning players like polster is odd when the guys hardly had a chance.

We can’t write Polster off after 5mins of football at tynecastle
Why has he only played 5 mins in 6 months?
Who is he going to replace or compete with?

Literally anyone who saw him in America described his as unspectacular but solid/dependable. We’ve got too many average players like that, fact we’ve not gave him more than 5 minutes suggests there is no space for him.

Polster, Dodoo, Herrera, Holt, Firth, Alnwick, Lafferty & Dorrans all need punted to trim the squad & bring the wage bill down.

Possibly Rossiter too.

Keeping my powder dry about Polster thus far but feels like quite an odd signing to me. Does he realistically have a chance of a regular game at RB or CM? If not, then what was the point in signing him when we are well covered in both his positions? He is not a youngster or prospect he's 26 years old

Alnwick, Dorrans, Lafferty, Barisic, Grezda, Holt, Dodoo, Hardie, Herrera, can all be sold.

Robbie McCrorie, Polster, Rossiter, Middleton, Hastie, loan out for the season with recall options.

That's trims the squad by 14 players and taking into account soon to be incoming signings of Edmundson, Aribo, Kent, should leave us with about 24 first team players with room for 3/4 more quality additions.

Last edited:
We do obviously but it's very early days. Hopefully by mid August the vast majority of the unneeded players will be gone.

We need people to want these players.

This squad has needed trimmed for 2/3 years now, so many non-contributors.

Even up the pecking order, I don’t think there’s room for all three of Docherty, McCrorie and Rossiter for example.

is it going to be a daily thread of we need to get rid of players

its not even July 1st people will come and go its very early days

Far too many players on our books. Reckon it looks near enough a squad of 35 we've got right now if Aribo & Edmundson sign. Guys that I've forgotten even existed like Joe Dodoo & Matt Polster still hanging around somehow.

I do believe Gerrard & Allen will have a couple of quality targets lined up, but we will not push the boat out for those until we shift a good amount of the deadwood - FACT.

We just can't afford to have this many non contributing players in our squad. Arguably Allen's most important task right now?
The guy we signed during the January window is still hanging around somehow? Mental.

Sorry but duh mate !
Trying to get the incoming done early in time for training camp and qualifiers. Outgoing will take a little more time. Bit obvious I’d have thought.

We got rid of a shed load of players - many absolute duds - last summer; some have come back from loans. I have no doubt that plans are afoot. It’s the middle of June. Relax.

Why has he only played 5 mins in 6 months?
Who is he going to replace or compete with?

Literally anyone who saw him in America described his as unspectacular but solid/dependable. We’ve got too many average players like that, fact we’ve not gave him more than 5 minutes suggests there is no space for him.

Polster, Dodoo, Herrera, Holt, Firth, Alnwick, Lafferty & Dorrans all need punted to trim the squad & bring the wage bill down.

Possibly Rossiter too.

He signed on 30th January , final league game was 19th May , so it’s not 6 months it’s not even 4 , sure he was injured at one point aswell , add that to moving / settling into a new team and country , I think it’s harsh to write him off just yet.

Polster hasnt had a chance yet so its unfair to judge him but SG might see him more for the future and may still be loaned out. Guys like Dorrans, Holt, Dodoo & Lafferty have all had a chance and not really done enough. Maybe Dorrans might stay depending on his pre season but the rest till be off along with Herrera and Grezda.

im sure there will be players leaving, but its nice to see we really have a big squad now.

Ill leave it to the management team to decide who goes.

Very harsh on Polster with some of these comments. He's joined half way through a season, probably unfit and to provide cover at right back which is one position where the player (Tavernier) is never injured or loses form.

Polster is the least of our hassles!

I agree we need to trim the squad but not as dramatically as most. The main difference between us and the Tims the last couple of years has been the depth of the squad. They have had a deep squad which carried them in Europe and domestically. Our squad has been paper thin and has led to burnouts every year. We need to maintain a good amount of depth.

We are overloaded with wingers, close to a full team of them when we only need four. Football squads are all overloaded now. Should be a recognised first team, a replacement for each and then youngsters pushing on.

He signed on 30th January , final league game was 19th May , so it’s not 6 months it’s not even 4 , sure he was injured at one point aswell , add that to moving / settling into a new team and country , I think it’s harsh to write him off just yet.

Spot on mate. There's drama queen's on here that know the square root of f*ck all about football.

Matt Polster ?

Hahaha the guy has been given time to settle in Glasgow (as per the manager)

Honestly take time off this for a while please

Several will go back out on loan ie Middleton and other young players. Players in last year of contract Dodoo, Holt etc will go so you arguably are looking at nearly ten gone all in. Even with a couple of other signings we will have a 28 man squad but it is very midfield heavy. This leads me to think we will be playing one up top and plenty of wide players.

Back