We need to trim the squad

Far too many players on our books. Reckon it looks near enough a squad of 35 we've got right now if Aribo & Edmundson sign. Guys that I've forgotten even existed like Joe Dodoo & Matt Polster still hanging around somehow.

I do believe Gerrard & Allen will have a couple of quality targets lined up, but we will not push the boat out for those until we shift a good amount of the deadwood - FACT.

We just can't afford to have this many non contributing players in our squad. Arguably Allen's most important task right now?
You know absolutely nothing about polster. He hasn’t played a lot yet but that doesn’t mean he has to get sold.

Alnwick, Dorrans, Lafferty, Barisic, Grezda, Holt, Dodoo, Hardie, Herrera, can all be sold.

In an ideal world i'm sure the club would like to move on ALL of these players for a fee over the summer. The likelihood of that happening is slim.

Let's just hope we can recoup some money on Grezda and Barisic and re-invest that money into a couple of starters

Far too many players on our books. Reckon it looks near enough a squad of 35 we've got right now if Aribo & Edmundson sign. Guys that I've forgotten even existed like Joe Dodoo & Matt Polster still hanging around somehow.

I do believe Gerrard & Allen will have a couple of quality targets lined up, but we will not push the boat out for those until we shift a good amount of the deadwood - FACT.

We just can't afford to have this many non contributing players in our squad. Arguably Allen's most important task right now?

The players have been back 3 days into pre season training.

Gerrard, Allen and the coaching staff will have a rough idea of who they want to move on, but they'll have a far better idea after the Portugal camp and the pre season friendlies.

There's also a very good chance that Morelos will move on, plus we may need to resist some strong bids for Tav.

Let's just wait and see how we look in about a months time.

Players like Docherty, Rossiter, Dorrans, Barisic, Candeias will be given an opportunity to prove they have what it takes to be part of the 1st team squad for next season.

Hastie too will get the chance to show he's got the ability right away to be part of the scene and not put out on loan.

A lot will happen in the next few weeks, there's no need to panic.

A number of them will be moved on in the next few weeks.

Suspect we won’t be able to shift them all so it’s likely a few hangers on will remain.

Alnwick, Dorrans, Lafferty, Barisic, Grezda, Holt, Dodoo, Hardie, Herrera, can all be sold.

Robbie McCrorie, Polster, Rossiter, Middleton, Hastie, loan out for the season with recall options.

That's trims the squad by 14 players and taking into account soon to be incoming signings of Edmundson, Aribo, Kent, should leave us with about 24 first team players with room for 3/4 more quality additions.

Why sign him then?

Grezda is the one I’m most annoyed with. Something doesn’t add up with this guy as he appears to be on holiday but claims he’s injured and he’s definitely not helping himself by his constant Instagram activity. Grade A chancer.

I reckon there will be quite a lot of movement this transfer window and the squad will be trimmed a fair bit. I also think that quite a few pay offs will be happening as well.

There always will be players that havent worked ,but we have players from warburton/ pedro eras.
There contracts are nearing the end so in time they will be gone.
Its up to Mark Allen to sort out pay offs etc.

We cannot give chances in the league this season to players we half trust.
That needs to be for cups.
We cannot experiment in the league, needs to be our best at all times.

We are a week in to the transfer window there is plenty of time to move players on and it will happen. Have a clearer picture at the weekend when the squad goes out to Portugal who will be staying or going.

We need to avoid expensive pay-offs and finding buyers for the likes of Lafferty, Herrera and Grezda will be difficult.

Barasic should be going nowhere - Just needs to get his heads down and get on with it.
Grezda might come out of pre-season a better prospect too.

always difficult to shift players during pre season. plus theres always a chance 1 of them mite impress like haliday last year think we all thought he was off the. become a 1st team starter but soon as there back from portugal am sure agents will then know whos staying or going. but defo agree we have to many players shouldnt be there

That'll depend on how he impresses during pre season.

The same with McCrorie, Doc, Dorrans and a few others.
These 4 mentioned i think may struggle.
Especially dorrans who is entering his last year with us and really hasnt played much in 2 years and age aint on his side.
All will need to up their game, i just dont see what mccrorie brings to the team.

I think it’s blatantly apparent.

I doubt Gerrard wants to work with dross either.

He’ll be as eager as the rest of us to cut the squad and offer up some valuable wages.

Not sure what people expect to happen?

It’s Thursday morning, he’s had three full days. Some of the players aren’t even back.

You can’t pay a guy off by text.

Last edited:
If you still want 3 or 4 signings (assuming Aribo and Kent), we need about 15 out. That won’t happen.

There will be lots of movement after Portugal trip.

Quite rightly the manager will give most of the whole squad a chance then will assess the players including the youth and decisions will be made accordingly. No doubt he has already decided who won't travel but we will wait and see.

I'm not overly bothered right now about the size of the squad. In 2 weeks before the 1st euro game I'm sure we will know the bones of the first 11.

These 4 mentioned i think may struggle.
Especially dorrans who is entering his last year with us and really hasnt played much in 2 years and age aint on his side.
All will need to up their game, i just dont see what mccrorie brings to the team.

His assets as a DM are strength in the air and tackle, plus he's very quick and athletic.

His distribution, like Doc, is his weakness, but he's worked hard on improving it and it's definitely better.

As I said on another thread, with probably 2 games a week until Xmas Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo and 2 out of McCrorie, Dorrans, Doc and Rossiter could all see plenty game time.

We'll need a minimum of 6 defensive/central midfielders.

It's up to them to impress in the next few weeks.

His assets as a DM are strength in the air and tackle, plus he's very quick and athletic.

His distribution, like Doc, is his weakness, but he's worked hard on improving it and it's definitely better.

As I said on another thread, with probably 2 games a week until Xmas Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo and 2 out of McCrorie, Dorrans, Doc and Rossiter could all see plenty game time.

I think the bigger problem is further forward.

If you include the wide men, CMs/AMs, throw in Polster and Halliday, and we’ve got 19 players for 4/5 positions.

Some will go of course, but not THAT many. And some are still wanting a 10.

I think the bigger problem is further forward.

If you include the wide men, CMs/AMs, throw in Polster and Halliday, and we’ve got 19 players for 4/5 positions.

Some will go of course, but not THAT many. And some are still wanting a 10.

I agree @Growler.

After Kent and Aribo, our defensive, central and attacking midfield business is done.

Arfield, Stewart, Kent, Ojo, Jones, Hastie, Murphy, Candeias will all be probably fighting for normally 2, sometimes 3 starting spots.

Do we think Halliday will survive past this summer? Since our midfield has been bolstered I don't see him playing there. Flanagan is our back up left back I would assume since Polster fit's in at right back & if Barisic goes, he will be replaced by a left back to go right into the squad.

Gerrard has a lot of time for Halliday (rightly so), sensible to let him see out his last year? Bit of an enigma. Don't see Halliday featuring in a lot of "what would be your team" talk but also don't see him in the "who should be leaving" talk.

Likely to go/already gone imo;

Alnwick, Foderingham, Wallace (left), MacAuley, Hodson (left), Barisic*, Dorrans, Holt, Rossiter, Lafferty, Herrera, Hardie, Dodoo, Candeias, Grezda

Possible loans for either Docherty, McCrorie & Hastie.

Very harsh on Polster with some of these comments. He's joined half way through a season, probably unfit and to provide cover at right back which is one position where the player (Tavernier) is never injured or loses form.
Precisely, so its a bit of wasted resources is it not?

We’ve got 5 full backs currently & looking for another LB. There is no need, we need to be smarter with money.

Do we think Halliday will survive past this summer? Since our midfield has been bolstered I don't see him playing there. Flanagan is our back up left back I would assume since Polster fit's in at right back & if Barisic goes, he will be replaced by a left back to go right into the squad.

Gerrard has a lot of time for Halliday (rightly so), sensible to let him see out his last year? Bit of an enigma. Don't see Halliday featuring in a lot of "what would be your team" talk but also don't see him in the "who should be leaving" talk.

Likely to go/already gone imo;

Alnwick, Foderingham, Wallace (left), MacAuley, Hodson (left), Barisic*, Dorrans, Holt, Rossiter, Lafferty, Herrera, Hardie, Dodoo, Candeias, Grezda

Possible loans for either Docherty, McCrorie & Hastie.

Halliday will probably see the last year of his contract out imo.

If you're getting rid of Dorrans, Rossiter, McCrorie and Doc, you're only leaving us with 4 defensive/central mids

That's not enough mate.

Who's gonna be your number 2 keeper, if you're punting Wes and Alnwick?

Centre mid and wingers and GK need to be sold/Loaned or let go there is to many personally I can see Doc and Rossiter loaned out , Middleton and Hastie the same and Alnwick and Fod sold for small fees Grezda and Barisic will be a struggle to sell as will lafferty

He signed on 30th January , final league game was 19th May , so it’s not 6 months it’s not even 4 , sure he was injured at one point aswell , add that to moving / settling into a new team and country , I think it’s harsh to write him off just yet.

How dare you use facts on the internet, hyberbole and never listening to anyone's opinion is the way to go :p

Halliday will probably see the last year of his contract out imo.

If you're getting rid of Dorrans, Rossiter, McCrorie and Doc, you're only leaving us with 4 defensive/central mids

That's not enough mate.

Who's gonna be your number 2 keeper, if you're punting Wes and Alnwick?

Meant either of Docherty, McCrorie out on loan mate, keep one for squad depth.

Think we would bring in another GK. Don't think McCrorie is ready for the jump to back up & Firth is your typical 3rd choice for disasters. I would like to keep Wes but not sure if he's set on leaving for game time, but might be worth sticking it out if this is McGregor's last season?

Either way, I think we need to have a succession plan for GK in place soon enough, which makes me think we would look to buy that keeper.

Dorrans has never been strong in the tackle and never will be.

No idea where this myth comes from but it's certainly not from watching him play.

Fairly sure I read that Fleetwood were interested in taking Holt back as he had a fantastic season down there with them - from the sun April 19 when he returned from injury.

Would be a good permanent move for him I reckon as he seemed to be appreciated down there!

"CHASING JASON Fleetwood boss Joey Barton keen to sign Rangers ace Jason Holt
The Gers midfielder has been on loan at Barton's Fleetwood Town this season but has returned to Glasgow after picking up a knee injury
"

Fairly sure I read that Fleetwood were interested in taking Holt back as he had a fantastic season down there with them - from the sun April 19 when he returned from injury.

Would be a good permanent move for him I reckon as he seemed to be appreciated down there!

"CHASING JASON Fleetwood boss Joey Barton keen to sign Rangers ace Jason Holt
The Gers midfielder has been on loan at Barton's Fleetwood Town this season but has returned to Glasgow after picking up a knee injury
"

there was an article from a week or so back saying we are in talks to pay him off

Meant either of Docherty, McCrorie out on loan mate, keep one for squad depth.

Think we would bring in another GK. Don't think McCrorie is ready for the jump to back up & Firth is your typical 3rd choice for disasters. I would like to keep Wes but not sure if he's set on leaving for game time, but might be worth sticking it out if this is McGregor's last season?

Either way, I think we need to have a succession plan for GK in place soon enough, which makes me think we would look to buy that keeper.

Gerrard and Stewart really rate Wes and are keen for him to stay.

Time will tell mate.

Not all teams are as organised as we are.

Also the cast offs from our teams are likely only to get snapped up as the window edges towards shutting.

What about top international stars who spent international week partying in Tirana? Can we get rid of them?

Wtf is going on with him Earl?

I'm assuming he's got a move lined up, considering he's not back here for pre season or treatment?

Back