We need to trim the squad

Precisely, so its a bit of wasted resources is it not?

We’ve got 5 full backs currently & looking for another LB. There is no need, we need to be smarter with money.
We've literally no cover for right back unless you're thinking Tavernier can go and have a season where he plays close to 70 games again? It's too much to ask.

Wtf is going on with him Earl?

I'm assuming he's got a move lined up, considering he's not back here for pre season or treatment?

Someone ITK (!!) told me he was being treated as if he had been on international duty despite his not playing and partying instead...so not expected at training camp. I have my suspicions though - will Stevie G and Gary Mac tolerate that?

Someone ITK (!!) told me he was being treated as if he had been on international duty despite his not playing and partying instead...so not expected at training camp. I have my suspicions though - will Stevie G and Gary Mac tolerate that?

I'm sure they'd be delighted to get rid of him, but trying to recoup our dough may be the problem Earl.

We've literally no cover for right back unless you're thinking Tavernier can go and have a season where he plays close to 70 games again? It's too much to ask.
Flanagan is the RB & LB cover. Barisic & Halliday also LBs and we’re stilll looking for another.

Halliday will be kept for other reasons. 6 full backs is not good squad management.

Why has he only played 5 mins in 6 months?
Who is he going to replace or compete with?

Literally anyone who saw him in America described his as unspectacular but solid/dependable. We’ve got too many average players like that, fact we’ve not gave him more than 5 minutes suggests there is no space for him.

Polster, Dodoo, Herrera, Holt, Firth, Alnwick, Lafferty & Dorrans all need punted to trim the squad & bring the wage bill down.

Possibly Rossiter too.
I don't see what Polster offers that even Jack or McCrorie couldn't step in and do from what I've heard of him.There were a few games last season where the gaffer could have given him gametime and chose not to.

Reactions: MSF
Fwiw I'd definately try to shift(some on loan);

Alnwick,Robbie McCrorie,Holt,Herrera,Dodoo,Lafferty,Grezda,Middleton,Polster.

Two or Three out of five of: Docherty,Ross McCrorie,Dorrans,Halliday and Rossiter probably won't make it either.

This might seem harsh on some players,but the squad does need trimmed,and just like last summer I fully believe Mark Allen is capable of just that again.

Edit- I forgot to mention,I still think Alfie will go if the right fee is offered.Goalscorers will always be in demand.

Last edited:
Far too many players on our books. Reckon it looks near enough a squad of 35 we've got right now if Aribo & Edmundson sign. Guys that I've forgotten even existed like Joe Dodoo & Matt Polster still hanging around somehow.

I do believe Gerrard & Allen will have a couple of quality targets lined up, but we will not push the boat out for those until we shift a good amount of the deadwood - FACT.

We just can't afford to have this many non contributing players in our squad. Arguably Allen's most important task right now?
I really like the way you’re using facts as a way to justify this. We may push the boat out and deal with any squad trimming at the same time. Definitely not a fact.

Alnwick, Dorrans, Lafferty, Barisic, Grezda, Holt, Dodoo, Hardie, Herrera, can all be sold.

Robbie McCrorie, Polster, Rossiter, Middleton, Hastie, loan out for the season with recall options.

That's trims the squad by 14 players and taking into account soon to be incoming signings of Edmundson, Aribo, Kent, should leave us with about 24 first team players with room for 3/4 more quality additions.

We’ve been trying to get rid of Herrera for over a year. It’s an easy thing to say ‘sell him’, another to actually do so.

I could see guys like Grezda and even Lafferty choosing to stay and pick up their salary unless other clubs are prepared to match them.

I’d like to think the club has factored this in though and we won’t be endangering ourselves with our spending this summer.

The biggest issue is finding buyers for the deadwood. Get some of the youngsters out on loan to gain value experience but get rid of Alnwick, Holt, Grezda, Lafferty, Dodoo, Herrera, Foderingham.

Question marks over Dorrans, Docherty, Rossiter as well as they need to prove their worth.

I think it just seems obviously we will and intend to.

It is obvious who will be departing, by the time that is cut out the squad isn't that massive.

I appreciate the chicken and egg element to that but it's still really early in the summer window - it is what it is.

Back