We really do need reinforcements

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
That was a tough watch, far too similar to last season in terms of having a great period of play but failing to capitalise the way we should. We just waste far too many chances for my liking and looking at our bench makes me worry significantly.

We definitely need a few quality players in if we’re to challenge for the title otherwise it’ll be a case of same ol’. We’ve got the points and that’s what counts, but there’s no doubt in my mind that same type of performance will inevitably cost us a lot of points too.

That was a tough watch, far too similar to last season in terms of having a great period of play but failing to capitalise the way we should. We just waste far too many chances for my liking and looking at our bench makes me worry significantly.

We definitely need a few quality players in if we’re to challenge for the title otherwise it’ll be a case of same ol’. We’ve got the points and that’s what counts, but there’s no doubt in my mind that same type of performance will inevitably cost us a lot of points too.

We still need a central midfielder who can take control. And we will get one.

Hagi was quite a bit off it today.

Says it all that despite having 5 subs available we only made 1 and that’s with a game coming on Thursday.

We certainly do. Kamara, very poor need more drive from midfield, thought our new signing Balogun was excellent, need 2 more strikers as well Alfredo has lost his, sharpness. Take whatever money we can get for him and run as fast as we can

Fact we only had Arfield to bring on an a bench loaded with defenders isn’t great.

We need 3 first team signings and if Alfie goes make that 4 .

100%. We do need some starting 11 quality players ( a 6, RW and striker to replace Morelos IF he goes) but by god do we need some better squad players

It’s almost like we’ve got 3 more months of the transfer window and we’ve not played for 5 months

It’s almost like we can easily fall behind and chuck the league away well before the 3 months is out. I didn’t realise Aberdeen had been playing regularly over the last 4 months and that our staff weren’t allowed to search out suitable players during that time.

There’s no one on that bench apart from arfield that can really come on and impact a game, ill be worried if in weeks to come that murphy, stewart and barker are still in the squad.

I was looking with 35 mins to go, Hagi was poor and was thinking ok, who can come on... Barker/Stewart

We still need a central midfielder who can take control. And we will get one.
This becomes more glaring each time I watch us. Someone in the middle who can dictate when we speed things up would give me more confidence for the season

There’s no one on that bench apart from arfield that can really come on and impact a game, ill be worried if in weeks to come that murphy, stewart and barker are still in the squad.

I think some thought Barker had turned a corner, but it’s quite telling that even when the game began to open up at the end, Gerrard still never saw him as an attractive option.

The point of this OP is what exactly? Gerrard knows this, that much is obvious from yesterday's press conference; he hasn't changed one word since that defeat at Tynecastle.

At no stage in the match were we even remotely tested. A total canter. Controlled the game from start to finish.

But could only score one goal. Hopefully we’ve players lined up in the coming days as we need more quality to kill off sides.

Strange to criticise the midfield in a game we completely controlled.

We do need more in attacking areas though. The gulf in standard between the first 11 and the bench is too large. Hagi has a poor second half, but there was nobody on the bench capable of coming on for him to make a difference.

We need to bring in some quality that is capable of challenging for a start. Hopefully we sell Morelos and get 3 first team standard players through reinvestment.

It's pretty obvious that there's only certain players the manager trusts, no point in certain players being here if there not in the plans, we do need at least 3 players

The point of this OP is what exactly? Gerrard knows this, that much is obvious from yesterday's press conference; he hasn't changed one word since that defeat at Tynecastle.

For a bit of discussion on the extent to which we need players in and how our first competitive game illustrates how quickly we need them. You don’t like it, then bolt.

A tough watch? I must have been watching a different game.

We controlled it from start to finish, restricted them to one half chance, we were comfortable.

sure, we could have showed a bit more in the last third and upped the tempo at times, but its the first competitive game in 5 months, it’ll take time to get up to speed.

Swap Kamara for Zungu and you’ve got a great link between midfield and attack, another striker and we are in a good position.

Gerrard said at the start we need more in the engine room. Jack, Kamara and even Davis playing together isn't the answer.

I think people are being overly critical though considering it's our first competitive game in 5 months against a team we usually struggle against. We didn't give them a sniff.

At no stage in the match were we even remotely tested. A total canter. Controlled the game from start to finish.

All it takes is one set piece, a scrappy goal for them and we are talking about dropping 2 points.

A movie we've seen far too often in the past few years.

We're a good Rangers team but to become a great Rangers team we need to be scoring the 2nd and 3rd goals week in week out and killing off teams, that's the only way we'll have a great season. We're not Juventus and won't be able to grind out 1-0's like that every game.

I’m delighted to have won today, however we are sorely lacking, we desperately need an injection of quality into the starting lineup, as it stands we are nowhere near good enough to win the league.

I'm absolutely bursting for someone to challenge Tav for that RB slot.

We also need a midfielder who just powers up and down the park and grabs the game by the scruff of the neck.

Not like OP to be negative :rolleyes: solid at the back and Aberdeen had one chance that was handled, take the positives

I’d rather be realistic than kid myself on that some of the more worrying aspects of last season aren’t still there staring us right in the face. But I knew a few wouldn’t be too chuffed and would merely want a lot of “yaaaaaay, three points, on route to 55, let’s go” type posts as we’ve had previously.

I would really like to see us try a partnership of Aribo and Jack in the midfield, Hagi centrally, Kent on the left. And a new signing on the right hand side. A new striker in place of Morelos assuming he goes. At the minute we're looking desperate for 2 or 3 quality additions. I believe we should be trying to force through the Morelos deal asap as long as it makes financial sense for us.

Morelos money should hopefully allow us to recruit a few more players in the attacking area and another more dynamic midfielder. As we're still lacking difference makers in the final third.

Overall, I didn't find today too worrying, I think we were deliberately taking the sting out of the game at times. Where as on some recent visits to Pittodrie we've played the type of game that suits them.

Another 3/4 to challenge the first 11 and as a result that should give us a stronger bench get the players that Gerrard doesn't trust off the books hopefully

Jack and kamara for me is too defensive, we were far too deep.
My opinion but for the league we don’t need both.
We have more options available, to win this year they can’t play together too often as it invites teams onto us, 3 points and a win though. But plenty of work to be done

I'm absolutely bursting for someone to challenge Tav for that RB slot.

We also need a midfielder who just powers up and down the park and grabs the game by the scruff of the neck.

Tavernier’s place in the team will NEVER be under threat while Gerrard is there. If he wasn’t dropped during those horror shows last season then he’ll never be dropped.

Only able to listen to the commentary, but from what I was listening to then definitely 2 or 3 players needed.

Midfield. Kamara and Jack isnt a good partnership. It needs to be Aribo, either Kamara or Jack and somebody else.

Wide. Kent sounded involved today and got the goal. Hagi not so much. I dont think Hagi is as good starting wide and cutting in as he is playing centrally and arriving in the box late to find some space.

Need another option up front. If Morelos goes then it's a starter. If he stays then another striking option would definitely be essential.

On the plus side, the defending seemed to be very good and Balogun pushing up with possession to try to start things sounded like it worked very well.

Perhaps the solution is having Hagi's creative threat in midfield and a new wide man on the right who is more likely to deliver a telling final ball? Midfield 3 of Aribo, Hagi and Jack sitting deep?

Back