We really do need reinforcements

We did control the game but I can see where the OP is coming from in that you feel like you've seen this bad movie before, especially as the clock ticks on. It's worth bearing in mind Aberdeen had a couple of kids up front today - it would have been the same firefighting, backs to the wall stuff around the 60/70 minute mark if Cosgrove was there for them to launch balls up to. Would we have clung on?

A lot of this still comes down to Jack and Kamara for me. The former was tidy enough on the whole but he was doing his usual Scott Parker routine, slowing the game down and taking one too many touches. It feels like you can control games with them; you just can't kill them. Hopefully, Zungu gives us a bit of dynamism and unpredictability.

I also thought Morelos looked sluggish. Really nice play for the goal but could be doing with losing a couple of pounds.

Fair point but Davis and Defoe back from injury and another 2 or 3 still to come in and things suddenly look much stronger in terms of squad depth.

We did control the game but I can see where the OP is coming from in that you feel like you've seen this bad movie before, especially as the clock ticks on. It's worth bearing in mind Aberdeen had a couple of kids up front today - it would have been the same firefighting, backs to the wall stuff around the 60/70 minute mark if Cosgrove was there for them to launch balls up to. Would we have clung on?

A lot of this still comes down to Jack and Kamara for me. The former was tidy enough on the whole but he was doing his usual Scott Parker routine, slowing the game down and taking one too many touches. It feels like you can control games with them; you just can't kill them. Hopefully, Zungu gives us a bit of dynamism and unpredictability.

I also thought Morelos looked sluggish. Really nice play for the goal but could be doing with losing a couple of pounds.

Exactly this.

We were more or less in control, but we often are, and when he pass up good attacking opportunities and chances to kill games how often have we ended up conceding from incidents like that corner that ended with our player colliding with the post?

I just think anyone who watched that and doesn’t see worrying parallels with last season is lying to themselves. Yeah it’s 3 points, but I’m not interested in ignoring the concerns in favour of pretending it’s all rosey.

Fair point but Davis and Defoe back from injury and another 2 or 3 still to come in and things suddenly look much stronger in terms of squad depth.

I think both are too long in the tooth to make a serious difference now if I’m completely honest. Davis in particular seemed to start showing his age over the space of a few weeks. Defoe, as good as he is, I just think in the SPL against big cloggers in scrappy games he’s a bit too easy to deal with. If you can get him chances then great, but they can be few and far between in a lot of games.

That was a tough watch, far too similar to last season in terms of having a great period of play but failing to capitalise the way we should. We just waste far too many chances for my liking and looking at our bench makes me worry significantly.

We definitely need a few quality players in if we’re to challenge for the title otherwise it’ll be a case of same ol’. We’ve got the points and that’s what counts, but there’s no doubt in my mind that same type of performance will inevitably cost us a lot of points too.
I wish I could have put money on who would be posting the first negative post, you were a dead cert! I bet you had that typed out at half time ready to post on the final whistle. Did the the extra 6 mins frustrate you?

As for your post you're not breaking news, everyone knows it's work in progress, even Gerrard had stated this.

I have been saying this since fecking lockdown.

We need two strikers of a very good level and two midfielders, a midfielder who controls the game (can slow it down or increase pace) like B Ferguson.
We also need a goal scorer from midfield.

This hasn’t changed.

The issues that have affected this team are still there. I will add Aribo looks better but isolated due to Jack and Kamara. I will also add that Balogun will end up being our best CH.

Everyone knows we need additional first team players in. I would imagine that will happen beginning with Zunga early next week.

Yeah mate zungu will be the first signing, i think if alfredo goes then roofe will replace him but even at that we still need a couple more. Need a good few to leave as well.

Perhaps the solution is having Hagi's creative threat in midfield and a new wide man on the right who is more likely to deliver a telling final ball? Midfield 3 of Aribo, Hagi and Jack sitting deep?

this sounds better to be honest

I wish I could have put money on who would be posting the first negative post, you were a dead cert! I bet you had that typed out at half time ready to post on the final whistle. Did the the extra 6 mins frustrate you?

As for your post you're not breaking news, everyone knows it's work in progress, even Gerrard had stated this.

Yeah mate to be honest I put absolutely zero value in the opinion of someone who feels Jordan Jones is “10 times better than Lafferty”. But if you want to get the cock out for scraping by a depleted Aberdeen side whilst wasting the usual opportunities along the way, you be my guest. You’d think some would have learned a painful lesson after doing similar at during the last couple of seasons.

And at no point did I imply I was breaking news. It’s a discussion forum and it’s worth talking about now that we’ve seen the team in competitive action.

Yes we need reinforcements, and aye the second half was poor but they didnt lay a glove on us , the final ball let us down too often but remember how short this pre season has been, might take a bit longer to get into our stride

We all know this and so does Gerrard, 2 players should be in this week

We absolutely cruised though the game so I'm not going to be critical.

The bench was weak. I think we need 4 players middle to front. A centre mid, 2 strikers and another wide option. All guys in and around the first 11.

Tbh I’m sure this is obvious to all of us but I’m unhappy with the physical and winning mentality levels in that group .
Key players we are relying on do not have it . And we seen that again today .

Remove Morelos and we have even less of it .

Also agree re MF we need guys who will impose and drive the game when it lapses the way it did in 2H . That was all too familiar .

I do think we probably transitioned slightly better but there’s a long way to go there too . We need more pace power and drive in those plays imo.

we need a RB to challenge tav
we cannot play jack/kamara in the same team

i think tav/jack/kamara are all very good players but we need to someone to challenge them.
For sure this is the area

I think both are too long in the tooth to make a serious difference now if I’m completely honest. Davis in particular seemed to start showing his age over the space of a few weeks. Defoe, as good as he is, I just think in the SPL against big cloggers in scrappy games he’s a bit too easy to deal with. If you can get him chances then great, but they can be few and far between in a lot of games.

I think used wisely they still both have more than enough in the tank to contribute. If they need to start every week we could be in trouble but we are looking to add 2 or 3 which you hope improves the first 11 and then knocks a few current starters onto the bench. Suddenly the squad looks a lot better in terms of options to come on and change the game.

2-0 up in a game? Davis fine to bring on and put his foot on the ball and slow the game down to see it out.

Games we are dominating but can't score? JD still more than sharp enough to come on and nick a goal or two if we have a lot of territory around the opposition box.

I actually thought Davis looked back to his form of last year against Lyon. He looked very good.

The midfield is a worry for me no urgency to play it forward.
That front three depends on quick movement of the ball up front. When it doesn’t happen, it seems like we default to a set piece or an Aribo shuffle to make something happen.

Too many times today, in their half of the field we played the square or back pass.

That was a tough watch, far too similar to last season in terms of having a great period of play but failing to capitalise the way we should. We just waste far too many chances for my liking and looking at our bench makes me worry significantly.

We definitely need a few quality players in if we’re to challenge for the title otherwise it’ll be a case of same ol’. We’ve got the points and that’s what counts, but there’s no doubt in my mind that same type of performance will inevitably cost us a lot of points too.
Any plaudits for getting 3 points at one of our toughest away games?

Admittedly it gets to a stage of it being too late but I think we do need a bigger sample size before accusing them of being on the verge of “making the same old mistakes”

I don’t think it’s new that we need new players-it wouldnot be a shock if Gerrard and the staff were already banking on the Morelos money.

Last edited:
Perhaps the solution is having Hagi's creative threat in midfield and a new wide man on the right who is more likely to deliver a telling final ball? Midfield 3 of Aribo, Hagi and Jack sitting deep?

Neither Hagi nor Kent really played wide for any length of time though - and haven't really at any point this season. Those two and Aribo are all interchangeable and pop up all over the place. Aribo moved into Hagi's position when Arfield came on for example. I like it, and its going to be the key to success. There will be games when those three make defences look like statues.

That's not to say we don't need reinforcements. Its almost certain Alfie is off and it will take two, minimum, to replace him. We probably need another in midfield to give us options other than Jack/Kamara as well and, if I'm greedy, a goal-scoring right-sided forward that lets us go to a 'real' 4-3-3 if/when we want to.

If they are all at the level that Balogun appears to be I will be delighted.

I think used wisely they still both have more than enough in the tank to contribute. If they need to start every week we could be in trouble but we are looking to add 2 or 3 which you hope improves the first 11 and then knocks a few current starters onto the bench. Suddenly the squad looks a lot better in terms of options to come on and change the game.

2-0 up in a game? Davis fine to bring on and put his foot on the ball and slow the game down to see it out.

Games we are dominating but can't score? JD still more than sharp enough to come on and nick a goal or two if we have a lot of territory around the opposition box.

I actually thought Davis looked back to his form of last year against Lyon. He looked very good.

Very fair points

I don’t even think we create enough good quality chances. It’s one pass too many. Frightened of losing possession.

I think some thought Barker had turned a corner, but it’s quite telling that even when the game began to open up at the end, Gerrard still never saw him as an attractive option.

There wasn’t ever a whiff of us not winning that game. I guess score lines are the only thing you take notice of?

Anything to contribute on the subject of the thread aside from jilted fanboy pish?
Yeah I have actually danger zone. We won, never in any trouble, 3 points,good day at the office. You amongst many many others on here are just so negative at times. Have you contributed anywhere to say you are delighted with the start we have made?

Yeah I have actually danger zone. We won, never in any trouble, 3 points,good day at the office. You amongst many many others on here are just so negative at times. Have you contributed anywhere to say you are delighted with the start we have made?

I don’t think as a Rangers fan I need to state that I’m happy with the points. But I’m concerned by the pattern the game followed and it’s similarity to many in which we dropped points last season. That’s what the thread is about, either stick to it, or don’t bother with it pal.

I noticed that SG said attacking areas in his interview with Carra, hopefully he is looking for an extra wide option as well as a striker then.

Tavernier’s place in the team will NEVER be under threat while Gerrard is there. If he wasn’t dropped during those horror shows last season then he’ll never be dropped.

Well I mean Flanagan was hardly the answer was he?

Worrying signs of a second half tail off which has cost us points in the past. Looked like fresh legs required to get a grip of the game again when they had much more of the ball than the first half. SG admitted we were grinding.

I don’t think as a Rangers fan I need to state that I’m happy with the points. But I’m concerned by the pattern the game followed and it’s similarity to many in which we dropped points last season. That’s what the thread is about, either stick to it, or don’t bother with it pal.
Whatever, you think you're some kind of keyboard genius on here, you're not. 3 points for the teds, we move onto next week and see what the transfer market brings us.

At 1-0 there’s always a real chance you don’t win a match so that’s simply not true. All it would have taken was one more corner for them in the dying seconds and they could have levelled it up. It’s time to be realistic here.

We won. Another day and it was 3-0 if their defender didn’t get in two world class blocks.

A wee bit surprised at the reaction. The manager has already made clear that he intends bringing in another midfield and striker, which is in line with a number of previous posters. I am just quite pleased that we secured the three points at a difficult venue and am going to relax and enjoy my tea tonight.

I think Defoe will be a useful substitute in the games vs the dross at home. Help build up the goal difference

It was our full backs that provided the width today. Hagi (and Kent) didn’t play wide.

It’s screaming out for fresh blood. The players need a lift from a different kind of spark.

Can Stevie and the board deliver?

Back