We really do need reinforcements

Interesting, here’s the view of a guy who earns a living analysing football matches:

Interesting a guy like Ally McCoist who's actually played the game had a different view to journalist Jordan Campbell.

Opinions eh?

Definitely need reinforcements, however regarding our play , plenty of possession with opposing teams sitting in , but it’s a painfully slow build up and we need that to change .

There is no doubt that if you don’t put teams away, then a one goal lead is fragile! However, it looks to me as though the team this season is less likely to do so than last year. It also looks to me as though Balogun and a fit Helander strengthen the team, and that Aribo has matured to be a better more influential player. That aside, we are no better than last season when we weren’t good enough, so yes we still need 2-3 starters to come in. Starters, not squad players, and one of those needs to be better than our current midfield. It won’t be Armstrong or McArthur, but that is the gap in quality between what we have and what we need.

I have been saying this since fecking lockdown.

We need two strikers of a very good level and two midfielders, a midfielder who controls the game (can slow it down or increase pace) like B Ferguson.
We also need a goal scorer from midfield.

This hasn’t changed.

The issues that have affected this team are still there. I will add Aribo looks better but isolated due to Jack and Kamara. I will also add that Balogun will end up being our best CH.
Maybe just maybe we are reliant on the money coming in from Alfie before we are able to spend again. The positions you mention of the level you mention are very expensive

That was a tough watch, far too similar to last season in terms of having a great period of play but failing to capitalise the way we should. We just waste far too many chances for my liking and looking at our bench makes me worry significantly.

We definitely need a few quality players in if we’re to challenge for the title otherwise it’ll be a case of same ol’. We’ve got the points and that’s what counts, but there’s no doubt in my mind that same type of performance will inevitably cost us a lot of points too.

Hard to disagree, and I don’t think anyone does. It’s something we’re actively working on, we have to hope that the recruitment is good.

Davis will be an option in midfield, there were times last season Davis and Jack were as good as we’ve had for I don’t know how long. Davis, Jack and Kamara are all tidy, possession-keeping midfielders, we could use someone who wants to go forward more quickly (hopefully the SA boy will be that). Also if Aribo/Kent/Hagi really click then two sitting will be fine.

Defoe will come back and will be an option from the bench but we’ll definitely bring in more firepower and the fact we didn’t take up Kamberi option suggests it will be someone of better quality.

The transfer window/season start date isn’t ideal, we have to hope we get our squad finalised as soon as possible. It might go to end of window but I trust the board, manager and Wilson to recruit what we need.

I think both are too long in the tooth to make a serious difference now if I’m completely honest. Davis in particular seemed to start showing his age over the space of a few weeks. Defoe, as good as he is, I just think in the SPL against big cloggers in scrappy games he’s a bit too easy to deal with. If you can get him chances then great, but they can be few and far between in a lot of games.

Davis was as good as I’ve seen him in the first half of last season, he controlled things from deep and recycled possession and started attacks again quickly.

He’s plenty left in the tank yet IMO.

If yer aunty had bollocks she’d be your uncle. My point stands and nothing will change that.

To be fair you can’t have a go at him for saying it could have been 3-0 when he’s responding to you saying they could have equalised.

He could have replied with the exact same ‘if yer aunty had baws’ post.

Yeah mate to be honest I put absolutely zero value in the opinion of someone who feels Jordan Jones is “10 times better than Lafferty”. But if you want to get the cock out for scraping by a depleted Aberdeen side whilst wasting the usual opportunities along the way, you be my guest. You’d think some would have learned a painful lesson after doing similar at during the last couple of seasons.

And at no point did I imply I was breaking news. It’s a discussion forum and it’s worth talking about now that we’ve seen the team in competitive action.
Nobody is saying it was an outstanding performance but at least acknowledge that we put in a good performance for the 1st game of the season away from home against the team that finished 3rd last year.
Everyone knows improvements are needed, it's well documented.
You come across as a poster looking for failures in everything we do so that if the unthinkable happens in the future and it doesn't work out, you'll singing from the rafters, 'I told you so'.

As for the Jones/Lafferty comparison, sure it was an exaggeration, I admit it. I'll also admit I never liked or rated Lafferty at all. Although they are two different players I honestly believe if Jones had a better attitude he could have gone on to have a bigger impact in the team than Lafferty ever did. Shame he had the same lazy, immature attitude Lafferty had.

Last edited:
The manager said the same....the bench is not that inspiring albeit Davis and JD were missing...having a 3M defender there is a good place to be in.

I think part of the problem is whether or not we can bring in players who can replace our first team starters....but there's a long way to go....Kamara looks tidy at times and erratic at others personally I have some doubts in Hagi whether it's pace or strength BUT the non-crowd football should help him settle. So you've got a problem there that shows a 3M player isn't automatically going to burn it up in Scotland. Indeed Kent who cost double that got murdered last season at times from the support.

I think we can improve the squad and what we do with the Allfie money is crucial but getting up a level or two is probably going to be as much about developing what we have rather than replacing what we have with better.

We will need 2 strikers and very probably a key midfielder.....a big ask on all levels.

we need a RB to challenge tav
we cannot play jack/kamara in the same team

i think tav/jack/kamara are all very good players but we need to someone to challenge them.
Must be the only person coming away from that match and its your number 1 thought

If yer aunty had bollocks she’d be your uncle. My point stands and nothing will change that.
Do you not think that for our team its sometimes about belief? 1st half we had good control although needed more penetration. This rangers teams doesnt like having the lead in a game. We excel when being the underdog. 0-0, fine and up for it. 1-0 up, go into shell and dont take risks. All about mentality for me. Need to recruit people with balls. Balogun looks like he has the balls.

Maybe just maybe we are reliant on the money coming in from Alfie before we are able to spend again. The positions you mention of the level you mention are very expensive

I agree with you it looks as though we do need it. However the point still stands . We need these players.

Interesting a guy like Ally McCoist who's actually played the game had a different view to journalist Jordan Campbell.

Opinions eh?
Highly doubt Ally stated he was a man down today. If he did I stand corrected.

I agree with you it looks as though we do need it. However the point still stands . We need these players.
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing it’s just so depressing coming on here at times and reading negativity

Still reckon we need at 4/5 players at the minimum.

Zungu will solve the DM role
Definitely need another attacking midfielder
2 strikers if Morelos goes at the very least
And possibly an extra dynamic forward

Highly doubt Ally stated he was a man down today. If he did I stand corrected.
What I believe Allie - along with the other pundits - was saying was that Alfie was a little below the standards of a fully firing Alfie. Is that fair comment, yes. Did they say it was like Rangers playing a man down, no.

Its not easy playing against 10 men behind the ball every week

Especially when you've got two central midfielders similar to each other who love to slow the play down, take an extra touch, keep it simple, turn back the way when in an advanced position. Zero creativity, ponderous and are just neat and tidy with very little urgency or authority.

No surprise the attacking four; Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Morelos were dropping far too deep as our central midfielders sat on the two CB's toes.

There is a time and a place for Davis, Kamara and Jack and Davis for that matter.

We talked about it all last season and it's been discussed over pre-season.

Four players required. A CM who's got a range of passing, the ability to lift and raise the tempo, spot an early pass, a bit of urgency, hit that pass, forward thinking.

Another attack minded outlet who can bring a bit of creativity. Someone who has the ability to play centrally and take up a wider position.

Two strikers. Simply a must. One and Defoe won't do. One preferably being a bit more versatile.

I was nervy the last 15, but resisted posting "These Sheep fcukers are gonna score" was very tight last quarter. previous seasons we might have dropped a point, but saw a new maturity today. Hope that continues and not a one-off.

I’d rather be realistic than kid myself on that some of the more worrying aspects of last season aren’t still there staring us right in the face. But I knew a few wouldn’t be too chuffed and would merely want a lot of “yaaaaaay, three points, on route to 55, let’s go” type posts as we’ve had previously.
I’m tired of it, it’s like Groundhog Day. Every time you post something “negative” after a game we’ve won you get hounded by some.

Especially when you've got two central midfielders similar to each other who love to slow the play down, take an extra touch, keep it simple, turn back the way when in an advanced position. Zero creativity, ponderous and are just neat and tidy with very little urgency or authority.

No surprise the attacking four; Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Morelos were dropping far too deep as our central midfielders sat on the two CB's toes.

There is a time and a place for Davis, Kamara and Jack and Davis for that matter.

Four players required. A CM who's got a range of passing, the ability to lift and raise the tempo, spot an early pass, a bit of urgency, hit that pass, forward thinking.

Another attack minded outlet who can bring a bit of creativity. Someone who has the ability to play centrally and take up a wider position.

Two strikers. Simply a must. One and Defoe won't do. One preferably being a bit more versatile.
Agree with all that CC and been saying similar for a long time now. It was a fear of mine Today that we would play like that but luckily only the second half. High tempo high press works for us. Why did we sit off them in the second half ? I wonder if it was fitness.

Spot on.

It’s only one game, but we’re still crying out for that player - a Gerrard type really, or to make it more relevant to us, Barry Ferguson - who takes control of the middle of the park and drives us forward.

The hope is that Gerrard isn’t blind to this and we will address it before the end of the window, but we’re kidding ourselves on if we think a scrappy three points at Pittodrie makes everything in the garden rosey.

For me we need a centre mid whose first thought is to pass the ball forward and can see the pass quick into our 3 forwards. Maybe another on loan who is also capable of this. Control and dictate the speed of the game. One of them also needs to be athletic and physical presence, a bit of nastiness.

A couple more forwards. One that can play centrally and outwide, bit of versatility.

We'll be dominant in nearly every match, we'll be dictating the pace but I'd be intrigued to see if we'd be able to switch up from a 433 to a 4231 I game once we clearly see the game is in our favour. Aribo in a midfield 2 as he's fantastic at winning back balls and going straight to attacking. (sidenote, it was great seeing Aribo frustrated at not receiving a few balls) and having another player Zungu? Like minded who will both feed off each other.

If i was rangers i would announce signings tomoz just as the rotten mob are about to kick off take the attention off them just for banter

Back