We weren't clinical enough...

SpainLoyal4567

It wasn't the worst performance i've seen from us but i felt we missed some great chances from Alfie and Arfield, should have been 2-3/2-4, we're still short in midfield, signings are needed ASAP. We're still top of the league but we won't be for long unless we cut down on tippy tappy football and take our chances.
Pretty football won't win us this league.

The chance Kent had from the Hagi pass was the moment we could have killed the game. It’s frustrating that we see it so often.

we won't be clinical enough. That lot have a full squad who can score. We don't. Even our strikers don't apart from alfie when he's on form. Defoe won't help us. Itten I'm not sure. Roofe injury prone and well known to be....

OP is bang on.

Being ruthless and clinical is a mentality thing. I’m just not sure we have the required mentality.

Dropping those points today is solely on the defence. Terrible at both goals. Borna at the first especially poor.

This level of analysis is indicative of why this place becomes so batshit mental following dropped points.

Solely on the defence? Seriously? Did you even watch the game?

Totally agree. The arfield chance I was saying at the time he's got to score there. Same with the Kent chance , good save but got to be clinical in those situations and kill the game off.
Did anyone catch a replay of our goal at the end that got ruled out for a foul ? I haven't seen any replays to see why it was ruled out.

This level of analysis is indicative of why this place becomes so batshit mental following dropped points.

Solely on the defence? Seriously? Did you even watch the game?
Of course I watched it. The defence today was abysmal. Yes we could and should have scored another couple, but that defence was slow, weak and far too casual. 2-1 up with less than 20 to go, we’ve had 75% in the second half and they let that second goal slip.

Those dropped points are on our defenders

It wasn't the worst performance i've seen from us but i felt we missed some great chances from Alfie and Arfield, should have been 2-3/2-4, we're still short in midfield, signings are needed ASAP. We're still top of the league but we won't be for long unless we cut down on tippy tappy football and take our chances.
It’s been like that for years but when u call it out ye get called a panty wetter. It’s was more obvious than ever today

Good thread - we had the chances to make it 3-1, very good chances. We never took them and were punished when the linesman missed a clear offside.

Same old story, always miss too many chances to kill teams off.

Dropping those points today is solely on the defence. Terrible at both goals. Borna at the first especially poor.

1st Hibs goal: Borna should have closed Boyle down after a terrible touch.

2nd Hibs goal: Goldson does a absolutely pointless flicked pass.

Linesman should have called the offside

Tav should have closed down the cross

Helander should have been stronger for the header.

McLaughlin was the least of all to blame but the header was about 5 yards from goal. He could have came for the cross?

Kent either scoring or squaring to Alfie would have out it out of reach at 1-3 though.

Totally agree. The arfield chance I was saying at the time he's got to score there. Same with the Kent chance , good save but got to be clinical in those situations and kill the game off.
Did anyone catch a replay of our goal at the end that got ruled out for a foul ? I haven't seen any replays to see why it was ruled out.

McCoist seemed to suggest it was for a Defoe handball?

We actually did walk the ball in the net with that 2nd goal. Always dangerous being just one up but at the time we were thankful we were even in that position.

Gotta take the chances presented after that and if it isn't addressed it will be another long hard season because it's happening virtually every game.

We scored twice away from home today.

Only for a fantastic save from McLaughlin in the first half and Hibs messing up an open goal it would have been much worse.

2 goals were enough to win that game

We need to score 3, 4 or more due to ‘incompetent officiating’

Of course I watched it. The defence today was abysmal. Yes we could and should have scored another couple, but that defence was slow, weak and far too casual. 2-1 up with less than 20 to go, we’ve had 75% in the second half and they let that second goal slip.

Those dropped points are on our defenders
Spot-on second goal Goldson had the opportunity to put the ball in row z but slips ball to Hivs
Tav sticks a foot out in a half arsed attempt to block the cross and Helander should have smashed
Doidge and 1st goal em more poor defending

We have brought in 2 strikers and one of them will spend more time on the injury table than on the pitch and the other hasn’t hit the ground running.

Still pissed off with the ref and linesmen but if Arfield scored one of those in that double chance or Alfie put away his free header these 40 threads that have appeared this afternoon wouldn’t be here .

I’ve said the same after every league game this season and have been met with abuse on here

Our finishing too often is abysmal

Teams and players will always miss chances. We came from behind and scored 2 great goals today which should've been enough. Unfortunately our defence which has been rock solid up to now, were utterly woeful today. I'd also point out Marciano's saves from Kent and Arfield were top class.

We were slack in defence at key moments.

We lacked tempo and accuracy in midfield, and in the second half, we allowed them too much space in front and high on our flanks.

We weren’t clinical enough in front of goal.

Tactically we didn’t adapt to the circumstances of the game and we failed to manage the game after going two up, and after losing the second goal we were a shapeless mess.

very little to credit today

Morelos’ first half header was criminal!
Arfield double miss was equally as bad.

These are not “half chances”. These are absolute sitters!

We were slack in defence at key moments.

We lacked tempo and accuracy in midfield, and in the second half, we allowed them too much space in front and high on our flanks.

We weren’t clinical enough in front of goal.

Tactically we didn’t adapt to the circumstances of the game and we failed to manage the game after going two up, and after losing the second goal we were a shapeless mess.

very little to credit today

2-2 and the gameplan was Connor Goldson's long diagonals.

We officially ran out of ideas as soon as the second went in.

And only a few weeks ago people with concerns over our lack of ruthlessness, ability to kill off games and wrack up goals were labelled panty wetters.

Eight games in and it's already cost us 4 points. We've dropped points in 2/4 away games due to a lack of poor finishing.

Not only poor finishing but our defence was back to making basic errors, mistakes and out over all performance was sloppy, slack, pedestrian, flat, wasteful with no authority, ability to raise the tempo and we became frustrated and ran out of ideas. No support so a lack of backing and patience cannot be placed at the feet of us.

Roofeless but not ruthless.
bKSmwYm.jpg

I’ve felt that the record we broke recently with clean sheets flattered us a bit, don’t think we have looked great and it’s clear we’re missing something.

As the OP says, we weren’t clinical enough, we create plenty of chances it’s putting them to bed that’s the problem.

Something that we do regularly that confuses me is when we’re chasing a game we fire these long balls over the top or hopeful crosses into the box, typically from Goldson, Tav and Barisic. They don’t seem like they’re aimed at anyone, more often than not they just lead to us losing possession. Davis hit Arfield today with a ball over the top but in general it’s ineffective.

Just watched the highlights and it’s criminal for Arfield not to finish that one that rebounds of the keeper. Tiniest bit of composure and that’s a goal. So frustrating

We are never clinical enough in fact i would say our level of shooting is a disgrace. Even when we have won games comfortably this season we have wasted a ridiculous amount of really good chances.
Now i know its probably unrealistic to expect 5 plus goals every game but its frustrating as fvck in games like today where we miss easy chances yet hibs basically score 2 out of the 3 chances they had all game. It has been a common theme since the watburton days as well so it seems as if we are cursed.

2-2 and the gameplan was Connor Goldson's long diagonals.

We officially ran out of ideas as soon as the second went in.

Yep Gerrard made the subs with absolutely no plan of action to get us chances the shape went and so did the chance of the win

It’s been true of every game this season and today highlights the problem. Alfie, Kent, Arfield and Helander all missed easy chances today, any one of them scores, we win.

Our conversion rate is honking!

totally agree with you OP. And that's my worry, unless we ditch the tippy tap football and actually take a shot. We'll struggle this year..

Back