We won today why are people so critical

govanfront85

What?
That scrimmage in our box 2nd half was one lucky bounce away from us dropping 2 points.
We pass the ball about in our own half way too much with no notion of going forward.
First game and all that, hoping we improve but there was definitely a bit of deja vu going on today.
You're a realist. Won't go down well with some on here.

Amatosarrow

I think it was a decent performance,Aberdeen camped in their own half for most of the game. Tav still worries me- subs for Aberdeen pressed him and we gave away 2 corners and a free from the RB position. Morelos put in a huge shift but I don't want to see him digging the ball out from deep, sit on the last man and threaten. Hagi was off the pace but Aribo, the centre backs and the goal are pointers to better stuff.

g87

That's clear to see. Anyone saying otherwise is clueless.
Totally agree, the same folk saying "we won, why the negativity" will be the same who come on here if it finishes 1 1 and slaughter the team.

Sometimes you need to see past the result and look at it objectively. That lot go on and win that game 3 nil today, as hard as it is to say. We on the other hand, let the game drift and gives the opposition an opportunity to nick a undeserved draw.

mountloyal

Not the greatest display BUT a massive result.
It's all about winning and getting out of Sheepland with 3 points is all that matters at this stage.
That is one of our hardest aways out the way. Got to be delighted with that.

CoopBlue

The game today mirrored the last two actual seasons.

First half, looked good, hungry, dominant and comfortably in control. Worked well as a unit and everyone focused. Everyone "on it".

Second half looked more tense, less in control, toiling to finish teams off, lack of cohesion, running out of idess and not clinical enough up front.

roadster198

because it was incredibly similar to what we've seen before, surely anyone who watched us must realise this?
Do you think we’d have had the same result had the sheep fans been there? I’m not so sure. Kents goal was well taken. However we seemed to let them back into it for a spell.

Bluetou

I hate posts like this ! Yes we won and yes the 3 points are welcome but the game today was very similar to a lot of last seasons, dominate possession then score then let the other team come at us which ultimately cost us last season. People want to see signs of improvement, this is a piss poor Aberdeen team minus their 2 strikers but we didn't kill them off, might not be popular but the tims would have skelped them today and thats the worrying thing.

bigwoo

I have seen a lot of folk ripping into players saying they were slow, off the pace etc. Also people having a go at using one sub. Why not? People need to mind this the 1st competitive game we have played in months. Personally I thought it was a good performance throughout.
People moan because they can
Three points
Good performance
Clean sheet
Whats not to like
Well done Rangers
WATP

bigwoo

I hate posts like this ! Yes we won and yes the 3 points are welcome but the game today was very similar to a lot of last seasons, dominate possession then score then let the other team come at us which ultimately cost us last season. People want to see signs of improvement, this is a piss poor Aberdeen team minus their 2 strikers but we didn't kill them off, might not be popular but the tims would have skelped them today and thats the worrying thing.
Lets worry ooooh and dont enjoy
What a life you must have
Lol

MightyGersLand!

If it was similar to what we've seen before, we'd be winning most of our tougher away games relatively easily. We could have been better going forward but we still created enough chances to win the game easily, won the game relatively easily and that's even before you factor in the unusual circumstances of it being our first competitive match in around 5 months. It absolutely wasn't a struggle but people are going to convince themselves it was, spout it in threads like this and then let their positive confirmation bias take over and see that some people agree with them.
Positive confirmation bias?
Isn't that what you've done?
Aberdeen never fluked an equaliser so it was a good result?
They fluked a goal last season so we were pish and not good enough?

bornabluenose

I think we played well up to a point, if I was being hyper critical I would say that all our domination and possession should have been far more productive in a goals sense.

We tend to over play it a bit in the final third, and we still need a couple in to increase our cutting edge.

Issues we had last season to be fair.

That said, will always take a win against the sheep in their own coup .

govanfront85

Totally agree, the same folk saying "we won, why the negativity" will be the same who come on here if it finishes 1 1 and slaughter the team.

Sometimes you need to see past the result and look at it objectively. That lot go on and win that game 3 nil today, as hard as it is to say. We on the other hand, let the game drift and gives the opposition an opportunity to nick a undeserved draw.
We've seen the flaws of this team over and over, and for me this is one we got away with. Need to be better.

Reactions: g87

sirstevefleming

The anxiety is essentially later in the season we will have bad weather, bad pitches, bad refs and injury. All of the above even things up between us and the dross. We don’t have much in reserve for us to deal with the above factors and still win.

g87

We've seen the flaws of this team over and over, and for me this is one we got away with. Need to be better.
Imo our team is far too structured, which means if the game went 1 1 we wouldn't have went all out to get the win. I still back the manager but sometimes I wish we could put teams under more pressure to make mistakes.

Look at our results at end of last season we never scored more than 1 or 2 goals each game. Today was exactly the same and eventually that will come back to.bite you.

HandsomeHead

It’s a very welcome three points at one of our traditionally toughest venues, but surely most of us watched that today and privately felt there are still many of the same issues as last season?

With more or less the same squad to pick from that shouldn’t really be that much of a surprise and it probably does need to be reiterated that we won, it’s the first game of the season and we will, hopefully, bring in some new faces before the season really gets into gear, but at the same time it doesn’t do us any good to pretend everything is just peachy and we look reinvigorated.

We desperately need some quality additions, IMO, because it doesn’t look, from first impressions at any rate, like the management team are going to approach this season any differently.

govanfront85

Imo our team is far too structured, which means if the game went 1 1 we wouldn't have went all out to get the win. I still back the manager but sometimes I wish we could put teams under more pressure to make mistakes.

Look at our results at end of last season we never scored more than 1 or 2 goals each game. Today was exactly the same and eventually that will come back to.bite you.
Well put, totally agree.

Reactions: g87

baystatebear

A victory against the sheep at Aberdeen is always a big positive and certainly a good way to kick-off the season. But for me, the most pressing question is— has there been an overall improvement in the team compared to last year? I realise that there will likely be further additions to the squad, plus Morelos will probably leave at some point during the transfer window, so it may be premature to even pose the question.

However, from what I've seen thus far I think this squad is perhaps the best that Gerrard has had since coming to Ibrox. Don't get me wrong, there is still a way to go - the midfield in particular - needs the addition of a more aggressive attacking presence than is currently being offered. Tav, too, is a concern for me. Nevertheless, I have grounds for optimism.

tottie beck

I’m delighted with the result. I said beforehand I’d take a win in any form given previous results at Pittodre. However, there was a touch of déjà vu about that game. Totally controlled the first half, tried to protect a lead, and almost coughed up a goal against a team we dominated. Maybe today isn’t the time to moan, but we need to address our shortcomings if we are to win this title.

Last edited:

Bluetou

Oh alright then it was a superb performance
Lets worry ooooh and dont enjoy
What a life you must have
Lol
Did you not read what i said ? Of course i enjoyed the result but that doesn't change the fact that all the bad habits that crept in after xmas still seem to be there. Hopefully there are a couple of decent signings to come that will improve things because today showed that we need improvement if we want to topple the tarriers.

Blu_ultra

But that’s my point. Aberdeen were terrible today. Why not be ruthless and try to score 3 or 4? Why are we happy just to pass it sideways and backwards in the 2nd half? When you leave it at 1-0 the opposition only need one chance and for me, our attitude was all wrong.

We’ve seen that 2nd half performance before. I guarantee if you go back and look at Aberdeen in December or any of the rugby park games the performance once we went in front will look similar. If we continue like that this season will have a similar outcome to the last two. I just wish we would look to kill games off by scoring 2 or 3 rather than hanging on to 1.
No offence, but this is the type of clichéd post that rips my knitting. Do you not think, if we could have scored 3 or 4, we would have? Hanging on? They didn't have 1 shot on target. If you look at the performances at Pittodrie and Rugby Park, we lost them due to extremely poor game management. Mccoist said it this week - we need to defend better. Far better Rangers teams have been beaten at Pittodrie.

govanfront85

I’m delighted with the result. I said beforehand I’d take a win in any form given previous results at Pittodre. However, there was a touch of déjà vu about that game. Totally dominated the first half, tried to protect a lead, and almost coughed up a goal against a team we dominated. Maybe today isn’t the time to moan, but we need to address our shortcomings if we are to win this title.
Exactly how I feel

willowbankbear

I have seen a lot of folk ripping into players saying they were slow, off the pace etc. Also people having a go at using one sub. Why not? People need to mind this the 1st competitive game we have played in months. Personally I thought it was a good performance throughout.
If it was the 3rd game of the season I’d say must do better but it was the first , always a tricky game , more so away at aberdeen

Wish folk would get off their backs, Rangers are notoriously slow starters - we won today , enjoy the 3pts