We won today why are people so critical

rangersforever73

Reality check, we arent Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus..however in an open game we play bloody good football. Today we just played a team that are supposed challengers for the title, and away from home, and in the first game of the season. These supposed rivals at their home ground played with 10 defenders and a goal keeper. To win this game is a fantastic result no matter what league you play in.

Last edited:

Gandhi1872

No offence, but this is the type of clichéd post that rips my knitting. Do you not think, if we could have scored 3 or 4, we would have? Hanging on? They didn't have 1 shot on target. If you look at the performances at Pittodrie and Rugby Park, we lost them due to extremely poor game management. Mccoist said it this week - we need to defend better. Far better Rangers teams have been beaten at Pittodrie.
No I don’t think if we could’ve scored 3 or 4 we would have. This team seems quite happy to sit on a lead rather than showing any urgency or ruthlessness to kill teams off and score more goals. At what point did I say we were hanging on? We were never in any real danger but at 1-0 all it takes is one chance or one decent set piece. Look at the goalmouth scramble. That could quite easily have cost us a goal.

That poor game management you reference is the slow, pedestrian passing that I saw in the 2nd half today. We came out playing as if we were 3 or 4 up. Pittodrie last season we go 2 up then start walking about and slowing the game down and we let them back in. Rugby Park the midfield are happy to go sideways and backwards with no real urgency or desire to play forward and penetrate.Yes, for the goals we concede there are times when we do need to defend better but when you’re happy just to sit on 1-0 you’re putting unnecessary pressure on the defence to not give anything away.

That was a terrible Aberdeen side who were missing their two strikers and showed no real ambition. I agree we weren’t under any real danger because of that but to me a lot of that 2nd half looked like a carbon copy of last season. It’s the type of game where we were punished and I could easily see the same thing happening at Livingston, Motherwell or Hibs in the next month if we don’t change our attitude.

Potnbear

Lol, the team never even got out of 1st gear, we totally cantered a normally tricky venue, we had them running all over the park chasing us for most of the game, we restricted them to zero shots on target, it was first game of the season. Oh the drama:rolleyes:

albertzuk

I have seen a lot of folk ripping into players saying they were slow, off the pace etc. Also people having a go at using one sub. Why not? People need to mind this the 1st competitive game we have played in months. Personally I thought it was a good performance throughout.
All week, everyone said - 3points a must. Get 3 points and the panty welters are out in force. Never an easy place to go. We allowed them one set piece, we came away without a booking. I’ll take a 1-0 every week.....

rangersforever73

If some fans had their way we would be signing at least 6 new players for every game, one bad pass and your sold and replaced...and a new manager after every result even when we win...feckin mentalists. 12th man means nothing to these idiots... default setting is to boo and berate our players, how to help push us on to take the title after the first game and a bloddy good victory...

Big X

Official Ticketer
We were far from comfortable. They had half a chance.

I assume you didn't watch the game and are just looking at the score.
You assume wrong, I watched the game and thought we were comfortable. They had half a chance and didn’t score. We were never under the cosh at any point during the game and looked comfortable imho. All about opinions I suppose.

PalefaceRedskin

We were far from comfortable. They had half a chance.

I assume you didn't watch the game and are just looking at the score.
We all have scar tissue because we have dropped points up there when we should have won by two or three but looked at objectively we were comfortable. We must have had 2/3 of the ball and had 5 or 6 decent efforts. They managed one blocked shot and one goalmouth scramble from a set play.

Otis Blue

If we had lost or drawn this game I don’t think many of us would be hugely surprised. Disappointed yes but not surprised , so We should be delighted with this win. it takes something special to break down ‘park the bus’ teams like Aberdeen and we got it through a great weighted pass from Morelos followed by a cool finish by Kent.

govanfront85

We all have scar tissue because we have dropped points up there when we should have won by two or three but looked at objectively we were comfortable. We must have had 2/3 of the ball and had 5 or 6 decent efforts. They managed one blocked shot and one goalmouth scramble from a set play.
We have scar tissue because that performance was uncannily similar to one's we've thrown away before.

Barisic's Bandage

I haven't seen anybody be over critical, what i have seen is people being concerned just how similar today was to lots of games in the last few years, when we have dropped points
It's not going to be much different with the same players.
Need new additions to freshen things up.

We did beat Aberdeen away though :)

g87

You assume wrong, I watched the game and thought we were comfortable. They had half a chance and didn’t score. We were never under the cosh at any point during the game and looked comfortable imho. All about opinions I suppose.
Flip it the other way then, if your an aberdeen fan tonight. Did we look like we were gonna hurt them in 2nd half and get a second goal?

They looked just as comfortable as we did, if you think we can coast through games like that at 1 nil this season then dont come on and moan when we start dropping points.

PalefaceRedskin

We have scar tissue because that performance was uncannily similar to one's we've thrown away before.
If your point is we need to score more goals to put these games out of reach I agree mate. If you’re saying that we we weren’t comfortable when our opponents didn’t have a single worthwhile effort at goal (and indeed barely had a touch of the ball in our box) we’ll have to disagree.

pelem

Nail on the head. Games we have drawn or lost. Looked way too familiar and if they had their sheep hoardes in the stand, we could be looking at a diff scenario.

But they didnae and we won.

We had a ful hoose against them at Ibrox last season and didnae beat them so whit are you saying.

govanfront85

If your point is we need to score more goals to put these games out of reach I agree mate. If you’re saying that we we weren’t comfortable when our opponents didn’t have a single worthwhile effort at goal (and indeed barely had a touch of the ball in our box) we’ll have to disagree.
It's more about the way we react when we're 1-0 up. You can see that some players aren't comfortable.

Sir Walter’s Warriors

We weren’t amazing and had we lost a late equaliser the moans would be justified.

However, we didn’t, we won away at a ground where we have been caused a lot of trouble in the past couple of years. No red cards, no injuries, good day all round.

It may not have been the seismic improvement we all would have liked, but that small improvement (holding on to that small lead to win the game in tight games) can 100% be the difference between winning and losing the title.

pelem

Ah cannae wait for the new season tae come so's ah can see the Ranjurs and moan like fuuk about them.

I reckon that sums the situation up.

wd1872

Reality check, we arent Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus..however in an open game we play bloody good football. Today we just played a team that are supposed challengers for the title, and away from home, and in the first game of the season. These supposed rivals at their home ground played with 10 defenders and a goal keeper. To win this game is a fantastic result no matter what league you play in.

????????????????????????????????

Big X

Official Ticketer
Flip it the other way then, if your an aberdeen fan tonight. Did we look like we were gonna hurt them in 2nd half and get a second goal?

They looked just as comfortable as we did, if you think we can coast through games like that at 1 nil this season then dont come on and moan when we start dropping points.
You call it coasting, I call it a professional performance in which we’ve just came back from PittodrIe with three points and a clean sheet in a game which we were never under any real pressure. Also, I have never, and never will, came on and moaned about us dropping points.

g87

You call it coasting, I call it a professional performance in which we’ve just came back from PittodrIe with three points and a clean sheet in a game which we were never under any real pressure. Also, I have never, and never will, came on and moaned about us dropping points.
You dont see the pattern in performance of today and end of last season? And if you do, you dont see that as a concern?

I dont think your realise that this thread isnt about today, its about the level of ruthlessness that's required to win a league and the fact that we dont seem to show it.

Big X

Official Ticketer
You dont see the pattern in performance of today and end of last season? And if you do, you dont see that as a concern?

I dont think your realise that this thread isnt about today, its about the level of ruthlessness that's required to win a league and the fact that we dont seem to show it.
Sorry mate but I don’t see our performance today - three points, clean sheet and never under sustained pressure- bears any resemblance to our performances at the end of last season when we lost to Hearts, Kilmarnock Hamilton and drew with St Johnstone. Re your last point, the thread is about today, the OP actually refers to ‘today’ in thread title and makes no reference to the level of ruthlessness that’s required to win a league.

govanfront85

Exactly

govanfront85

Sorry mate but I don’t see our performance today - three points, clean sheet and never under sustained pressure- bears any resemblance to our performances at the end of last season when we lost to Hearts, Kilmarnock Hamilton and drew with St Johnstone. Re your last point, the thread is about today, the OP actually refers to ‘today’ in thread title and makes no reference to the level of ruthlessness that’s required to win a league.
Jeezo

A1bertz

Happy with 3 points and that was reasonably comfortable.
But..The flip side is at 1 nill, we are only a referee decision or a slip up away from a result that contributes to not winning prizes.
We need to get into comfortable 2-0 leads.
My pet hate from last season was back today.
Goldson. Not is performance but he must receive more passes in our team than any other player. Does my dinger in.
A couple of new faces will help. Especially if one of them is a midfield controller who sets the tempo.

Albertz Loyal

Even with some of our strongest teams, Aberdeen away had never been an easy fixture.

This was professional performance, yes another goal would have been nice, but never really bothered the whole game

g87

Jesus mate, apart from Aribo chance in last 5 mins today we scored with our only clear cut chance in the game. Go back to our win away to Ross County in March before the break, how was today in any way different?