Wee bit of praise for Bassey

There were (don't deny it ladies and gentlemen!) more than a few fears when he was chosen for central defence. But he's been more than fine ...and is growing each game. It's a position that exposes player and he's stepped up.

He’s progressing superbly.

I did notice one time in the first half where he just totally strayed out of position but, that apart, another great stride forward by a young man who’s not 22 until the end of this month.

He’s growing game by game, seems to pair up well with both Goldson and Barisic.
I noticed them speaking with Gio in the first half and the message looked like “keep it simple”, impossible to tell but iirc it was noted by Tom on RTV as well.
Maybe asking if they should switch to allow Bassey to get forward but nothing seemed to change, so the players are listening and learning - complete breathe of fresh air and the players are thriving under it.

I'm having trouble figuring out where he is going to end up actually.

Is he a well built, aerially sound FB or a very quick CB?

He seems to have the skills and the intelligence to master both. Great prospect.
I actually think his skillset suits CB much more.

He lacks some attacking attributes needed to go far in the modern day as a full back. He doesn’t at CB.

If we can improve him aerially and positionally he will be a monster at CB.

It’ll be part of a great footballing education for the lad. He’ll be able to think of the bigger picture in a defensive and team sense so it can only be a good experience for him.

It’s got to help that a lot of the time Barisic is playing like a 3rd centre half, not sure if that’s how Gio wants to set up or if it’s done purely because he’s recognised a weak point in Bassey.

He’s absolutely strolled it so far though.

I had a bit of fear initially after his CB performance in the first Sparta game but he's been excellent tbf
Yeah, after that performance in Prague I didn’t expect to see him playing that position ever again for Rangers.

But he’s been absolutely outstanding since coming in for Balogun.

Perhaps a lot of that is down to Goldson.

Based on purely recent performances, at the moment I definitely prefer him to Balogun in there.

Big man has been good so far,also has a great attitude and will be a great player for us.

Was kinda almost hoping Griffiths tried to come the big 'I am' with Calvin yesterday...Would only be one winner. Committed Christian or not.
Shades of this;

cdf8a212c20f235f3b4a283664ce0595.jpg

He's been good and is developing into a cracking player but I still have some fears for him at CB. A few times he got caught under the ball yesterday and his positioning isn't always great, which is something he can learn.

Bassey has been excellent and is improving with each game. Obviously Goldson is talking him through games and McGregor is not shy with instruction too, but I think the way Gio has got our full backs playing as full backs instead of wingers has helped too.

Tav & Borna still get forward but not all the time as they did under SG. Borna had a good game yesterday too and I think getting them to concentrate first and foremost on the day job of defending has a better balance of defending and attacking.

We all loved the incredible stats both full backs were getting in terms of assists and goals in recent seasons but the team looks better now and Tav & Borna do still assist the attacks but they're no longer our main tactic.

I think teams had identified our flanks as weaknesses under SG as they knew Tav & Borna would spend more time in the oppositions half so there was space to exploit. This has closed the door on that.

Seems to learn from mistakes very quickly

He's excellent, love having him in our team he's a brilliant lad full of enthusiasm and skill

Prefer him at LB but he's been solid at CB

Bassey has been excellent as a CB. Been very impressed with him under Gio - absolutely nothing like that shambolic performance against Sparta away. Makes you wonder if it's Goldson giving him into a row for not staying in position

Young men who have been playing that position since their youth team days will get caught out of position, ball watch or lose their man at times.

That you could count on one hand the amount of times Bassey has done it, after playing left back primarily is a credit to to him.

I wonder if he fancies it there Long term. Certainly feels to me like he has a future there as more than just cover.

Goldson deserves a lot of credit for organising and talking him through games.
He has looked more than decent, pace, power and not a bad footballer a modern central defender.

It’s got to help that a lot of the time Barisic is playing like a 3rd centre half, not sure if that’s how Gio wants to set up or if it’s done purely because he’s recognised a weak point in Bassey.
Very mature performance from Borna yesterday. His best game this season?

Playing well and should retain his place until he’s not. Having a left footer on that side is helping borna as well.

He seems to be much better in the air since the Sparta debacle when he seemed to constantly mistime his jump when attempting a header.

If he keeps improving at this rate he could well become a target for an EPL Club at some point in the future.

And only 21? what a prospect.

We really do have a few sellable assets.

Back