Wee Doddy

Way before my time, but I'm well aware of him and have been told plenty of times about all the important goals he scored against the mentally challengeds, in Cup Finals and some massive European goals too, including Juventus and PSV.

Would be worth an absolute fortune now.

Only seen the last couple years playing for us.A great player.Some amount of headers he won.Strange he only won one Scotland cap.

What a brilliant compilation.

I started going to Ibrox in the seventies. What a team we had then. Greig, Jardine, McLean, Parlane, Forsyth, McKean, Smith and the one and only Alex MacDonald. As has been said above - the beating heart of that team.

What absolute joy he got scoring for his beloved Rangers - especially in the big games and against that mhob.

I played against Alex at amateur youth level. He was by far the smallest guy on the pitch but he was yards faster in thought and deed than the rest. He was an inside-left and I couldn't near him and could only watch and wonder at his left foot. The next time I saw him was three years later - at Celtic Park in a 3-3 draw when he tore Celtic to shreds. I was told that after the game Stein asked Willie Ormond, the St Johnstone manager, to name his price for Alex. Willie let Stein down gently by telling him 'He is not for you, Jock. When he leaves here he will go elsewhere in this city!' A few weeks later he was at Ibrox.

Thanks for posting the clip AyeReady. I was fortunate to see Alex MacDonald’s playing career with The Rangers. He rarely seemed to score an “ordinary” goal for us. A lot of spectacular and important goals too.

A typical goal from wee Alex was the one where he scored our second goal in a 4-1 Cup win against Aberdeen at Ibrox. Nowhere to be seen in the clip when the ball was being crossed in and then suddenly he was there to glance his header in. In truth he was great at timing his runs into the box.

To describe what Alex MacDonald meant to me as a player is shown in the last minute of the clip. His tackle in the build up to Alfie Conn’s last minute winner against Celtic and his challenge involving McVie and Peter Millar at Fir Park in the build up to Gordon Smith’s goal. Whole hearted does not start to describe Alex MacDonald.

One of the Rangers greats.

I've watched a great many clips from his time in matches at Hampden, he is the one that seems to have scored in virtually every game. What was his role within the midfield exactly?

When he joined us he was two moves ahead of his teammates playing the ball into space only to find nobody was running into the space, so it took a while before people appreciated what we had here, a winner.

I played against Alex at amateur youth level. He was by far the smallest guy on the pitch but he was yards faster in thought and deed than the rest. He was an inside-left and I couldn't near him and could only watch and wonder at his left foot. The next time I saw him was three years later - at Celtic Park in a 3-3 draw when he tore Celtic to shreds. I was told that after the game Stein asked Willie Ormond, the St Johnstone manager, to name his price for Alex. Willie let Stein down gently by telling him 'He is not for you, Jock. When he leaves here he will go elsewhere in this city!' A few weeks later he was at Ibrox.

That's not how Alex tells it in his book. He met Stein outside Queen st station and he asked him if he fancied signing. Alexs regard for Stein was so high that he thought about it. I'll need to have a wee look in my kindle but remember being surprised that he had to think about it.

Another one for guys who are too quick to hammer new players.Alex had a very average start to his Rangers career.Believe It or not he actually lacked a bit of confidence in the beginning,but once up and running great player and true Ranger

Forgot about the number of goals the wee man scored with his head.
He had the most amazing leap, he seemed to virtually hover and wait for the ball.
He continually out jumped much taller opponents.
I loved watching him.

You don't half come up wi' some stories.
A few weeks before he signed for Rangers, Celtic defeated St Johnstone 2-1 at Celtic Park.
MacDonald's only other appearance against Celtic in 1968 was a 1-6 home defeat back in March.

I've watched a great many clips from his time in matches at Hampden, he is the one that seems to have scored in virtually every game. What was his role within the midfield exactly?
When he first arrived he was an inside forward/schemer type then as formations changed he settled as our left sided midfielder. Back when numbers mattered he wore the 10, then 6 jersey.

From Airdrie, the things he did with that club were miraculous, outstanding manager too.

Doddy was unappreciated as a Manager by the Scottish media for what he did with both Hearts and Airdrie. Almost winning the League with Hearts in 1986 and two Scottish Cup Finals with Airdrie. To think of the endless media praise heaped on that alkie Clarke from Killie who is now Scotland Manager.

Was there at his debut at shawfield had a poor game but turned out to be one of our best ever players

Met him in Kirkintilloch RSC on Sunday! True gentleman and an outstanding player, albeit long before my time but still good to look back on!

A mainstay of the team I grew up with.
He had a telepathic understanding with wee Tam in and around the opposition's penalty box.
His timing to get on the end of wee chips was deadly.

I've seen some magnificent midfield players wear the Rangers shirt.
When I pick the best 11 of those I have seen, I pick Alex Macdonald in my midfield.

One of my first ever Rangers heroes.

What a left foot and his vision was so far ahead of anyone on the pitch.

Fought proudly for the jersey.

Doddy was unappreciated as a Manager by the Scottish media for what he did with both Hearts and Airdrie. Almost winning the League with Hearts in 1986 and two Scottish Cup Finals with Airdrie. To think of the endless media praise heaped on that alkie Clarke from Killie who is now Scotland Manager.

Beat me to it. He without a doudt, should have been our Manager.

Back