Wee quick question. Is there a rule about reporting trialists names?

AndythephotoDr

I see we had three trialists playing for the development squad but listed as trialists not names. I’ve seen this loads of times before so I guess there is a rule about naming them.

Is that the case? What’s the reason for it?

There’s no rules on it, it all comes down to clubs not wanting other teams knowing who they have on trial. The league of Ireland banned clubs from using ‘trialist’ on Team sheets.

I think it's just best for all parties incase it doesns't work out.

As far as I know this is the correct answer. If , say,Tom Smith was reported as being on trial at Rangers and we decided not to sign him after the trial period then it's not great for Tom Smith's future employment prospects.

As far as I know this is the correct answer. If , say,Tom Smith was reported as being on trial at Rangers and we decided not to sign him after the trial period then it's not great for Tom Smith's future employment prospects.

Equally on the other hand if Tom Smith is a decent player and Arsenal, say, decided to take a look at him after hearing he scored 3 goals in his game for us then our chances of getting him suddenly become much more remote.

Tom’s agents may well be trying to contact Arsenal anyway but no point in doing their job for them...

This from the BBC on our game against Brechin City in the Ramsden Cup after being thrown to the dogs by Scottish football.

...former Hearts midfielder Ian Black and returning forward Little - had to be listed as trialists, while manager Ally McCoist could only muster enough personnel to fill four of the five substitutes places.

We all knew who the players were so why did they have to be listed as trialists??? :confused:

This from the BBC on our game against Brechin City in the Ramsden Cup after being thrown to the dogs by Scottish football.

We all knew who the players were so why did they have to be listed as trialists??? :confused:
There’s a difference here between how they are listed on a team sheet and how they are reported.
On the team sheet the players full name will be on it anyway but will have to be marked trialist next to it to indicate that the player isn’t currently signed/registered with the club he is playing for, this is to conform with competition rules regarding amount of trialists that can play. That’ll be what is meant in the Brechin report you’ve quoted.
The other side of it is how it’s reported, the folks above saying it makes sense for both parties to protect the identity of who is trialling are correct although in the footballing world I imagine it wouldn’t take clubs long to figure out who is trialling with who (agents, scouts, family, friends & even the players themselves will let people know).

Last edited:
I remember after retired as a player, Souness listed himself as a sub in a pre-season friendly to make up the numbers and he was on the game sheet as Trialist.

Always assumed as we didn’t have their registration we couldn’t officially name them. Even though we could see who they were. Maybe for insurance purposes

It doesn’t mean literally listed.

He wasn’t registered in time so had to play as a trialist.

I remember after retired as a player, Souness listed himself as a sub in a pre-season friendly to make up the numbers and he was on the game sheet as Trialist.

Pretty sure Terry Butcher came back as a trialist to play for our reserves against Clydebank(?) around 1994/95 time. In fact think there were a couple of other ex-players playing as trialists because there was a bit of an injury crisis.

Remember it being in the Rangers News

Back