Wee Willie Henderson turning on the style this morning

Wee Willie. What a player!

tm3oeEt.jpg

Last edited:
Met him at the Rangers Burns supper earlier this year ( seems like so long ago)
Stood and chatted with us even though folk were interrupting him for photos mid story, he never flinched and took it all in his stride.
An absolute gentleman.
Went to a burns supper a few years ago and he was one of the speakers. It was one of the best nights I have been at. Some of his stories were hilarious.

Why did he fall out with Waddell can anyone advise a younger fan?. I read in one of my books whilst his friends were lifting a European trophy he was on a beach somewhere having left a short while ago. You would be distraught in that regard.

Wee Willie Wonderful, my old man called him.

My dad worked with a friend of Willie and asked if he would pass on my new autograph book for Willie to sign. A few weeks went by and no sign of it, then the friend explained that Willie had lost it, then he produced another one twice the size, which Willie had bought me and had signed by the complete Rangers and Scotland squads of the time. Given this was 1964 or 1965 there were some big names in that book.
I’ve seen him a couple of times but never had the nerve to approach him and belatedly thank him, I somehow doubt if he would remember.

Love the wee man.

At the UEFA cup final went to the toilet at half time and had a pee beside him - what a claim to fame. I couldn`t speak to him as I was too much in awe. If he had played that night we would have won he was outstanding in his pomp.

I've met the wee man on a couple of occasions the last time in the "members club" & his time at Sheffield came up & he let us see a photograph of him & Lulu when they switched the xmas lights on in the city , he was so proud of that photo
He told us of his run across the desert to support the charity in his daughters memorie , great entertaining character & a brilliant winger.
I never really felt the " love" for Tommy McLean that I had for Willie & a lot of my mates were similar

Great player. Blind as a bat though. There is a story that, during a game against the bheasts, he shouted to the dug-out asking how long was there to go only to be told by Jock Stein this is the Celtic dug out you fool ask them next door. (I have cleaned this up in case there are any sensitive viewers).

Years ago I waiting at the lights at George Square to cross the road, when a waft of cigar smoke engulfed us. I turned round and it was the wee man. All was forgiven. :D

I've met Wullie loads of times, as his wife Veronica and her family are good friends of mine...He is a very nice guy and loves the club

I had the pleasure of sitting beside him at a dinner a few years back and it was a magical evening.
He is very quick witted and a true gentleman.
He’s also a very humble man.

He looks wonderful. One of the best players I saw play in a Rangers shirt, and one of the greatest wingers in our history. Wee Wullie was a tremendous player in his prime. The fact he kept the mentally challengeds ‘Greatest Ever Player’ out of the Scotland team for so long gives you an idea of just how good he was. (I know they like to blame it on the Masons, but that’s just nonsense, it came down to talent.) I saw Wullie tear apart defenders from all around the world. If he played today he’d be on the level of Sadio Mane. I’m glad the wee man appears healthy and dapper as ever.

Have had the pleasure of meeting Willie a few times via a now gone friend. He is a gentleman and a legend.

A joy to watch and played in one of our best teams.

I believe he could also have cut it as a boxer.

Great player. Blind as a bat though. There is a story that, during a game against the bheasts, he shouted to the dug-out asking how long was there to go only to be told by Jock Stein this is the Celtic dug out you fool ask them next door. (I have cleaned this up in case there are any sensitive viewers).
Also he lost a contact lens during a game im sure?will have to get my cap on to remember that one,anyone else remember this,?

Whenever we played 10&21 in the park I was always Wullie Henderson. My first Rangers game was against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park and wee Wullie was bantering with two old ladies in the crowd about his bandy legs. They asked where he’d left his horse and he answered in the car park. For a five year old it was like seeing Superman in a Rangers shirt.

I can remember being at the speedway at the White City Stadium just along from Ibrox. Willie was there walking about with his coat draped over his shoulders and cigar in mouth, he looked right out of place. I think he may have been doing a presentation to one of the riders. Did he smoke a lot or was it fashion statement?

Back