Wee Willie Henderson turning on the style this morning

Wee man is a class act, I see him all the time in Broxburn, usually when he's away to pick up his winnings from the bookie lol
Always stops for a bleather.

Me and my brother met him at one of recent players POTY do. He was the perfect host. He calls you by your first name as if you have been mates for years. My brother, who is in his sixties, looked like a starstruck wee boy as they posed for pics.

He looks wonderful. One of the best players I saw play in a Rangers shirt, and one of the greatest wingers in our history. Wee Wullie was a tremendous player in his prime. The fact he kept the mentally challengeds ‘Greatest Ever Player’ out of the Scotland team for so long gives you an idea of just how good he was. (I know they like to blame it on the Masons, but that’s just nonsense, it came down to talent.) I saw Wullie tear apart defenders from all around the world. If he played today he’d be on the level of Sadio Mane. I’m glad the wee man appears healthy and dapper as ever.
Great wee story about when he met Cassius Clay now known as Mohammed Ali.

Ali asked Wullie what he did and Wullie told him he was a footballer.

Ali looked at Wullie’s broken nose and says “Gee Ah’m glad I stuck to boxing”

love the Wee Man, real legend.

I saw the 4 of them and Wee Wullie was up there with the best. Kopa scored more goals and Gento was faster but the wee guy had better footwork. Stanley Matthews in his pomp was as skillful but Wullie was quicker than him. All in all, the Wee Man was outstanding but maybe it's old age and the whisky catching up with me.
I was a great Alex Scott fan in the early 60s but my Dad went to a reserve game and came back telling me that there was a wee boy called Henderson who would be the Rangers right winger for years and Alex Scott was finished at Ibrox. He was right too.

I saw the 4 of them and Wee Wullie was up there with the best. Kopa scored more goals and Gento was faster but the wee guy had better footwork. Stanley Matthews in his pomp was as skillful but Wullie was quicker than him. All in all, the Wee Man was outstanding but maybe it's old age and the whisky catching up with me.
I was a great Alex Scott fan in the early 60s but my Dad went to a reserve game and came back telling me that there was a wee boy called Henderson who would be the Rangers right winger for years and Alex Scott was finished at Ibrox. He was right too.
I seen gento with real,in the final at Hampden,never seen Raymond kopa sadly ,seen Mathews play in a friendly,and we must have been wee boys at the same time,I so fondly remember my dad" lifting me over"a few times at Ibrox and watching the Ritchie shearer caldow team,and a few others just before Niven ,Harry Davies,always remember Alex Scott sure he used to run arms by his side and a straight back!

He run a poet infested boozer in Broxburn but he was respected by the vast majority of them.

An absolute gentleman who has the ability to make you feel like an old friend, met him twice earlier this year,second time he called out to me by name before I saw him, super advert for the club.
good to see him looking so sharp

I u
A Facebook punter bumped into him in Broxburn.

[/QUOTEi I worked for Willie and Alfie in their nightclub, used to be some great after parties with Willie holding court, some great stories and singsongs when the company wasn't mixed.

Wee Willie....the excitement of watching him zig zagging thru defences towards goal then onto the byeline and the low cutback into the
goalmouth was manna from heaven
for M & B & W. Sensational wing play.
Contrast that with today’s crap, get to the corner of the penalty box and send
in a wayward cross.

My hero, great player and Ambassador for the club always having time for the fans.

I used to look like him and was stopped a few times for his autograph

My mum grew up in the same street as Willie. “Great wee fella, nice guy, funny and loves the Rangers”. Exactly the same when I met a few years back.
Glad he’s still looking so well.

I think he was good friends with my mates dad. They were from Caldercruix.

You see him out and about here in Broxburn a lot. That picture is outside the hairdressers next door to the chippy on the main street.

I think he was good friends with my mates dad. They were from Caldercruix.

You see him out and about here in Broxburn a lot. That picture is outside the hairdressers next door to the chippy on the main street.
As an “absent bear“ it must be great to know you might pump into your one of your heroes just nipping out for milk. What’s all the better is that legends like Willie will make time for you and even give you some anecdotes from their playing days.

Down here I have to wait for events where you get yay close for yay long before someone else piles in.

When I met Willie it was at a night with Graham Roberts. They were both class, but drunken conversations aren’t as nice as a meet on the street at random.

Why did he fall out with Waddell can anyone advise a younger fan?. I read in one of my books whilst his friends were lifting a European trophy he was on a beach somewhere having left a short while ago. You would be distraught in that regard.

Before the Gornick game at Ibrox in 1969, which would end up with Davie White being sacked, both the wee man and Baxter went awol from training.

It was seen in some quarters that White showed weakness in still picking them for the match.

This prompted an article by Waddell, titled 'The Boy David' and many still think this hatchet job on White prompted his sacking.

Remember also Waddell was old school, having played all his career under Bill Struth. So basically Baxter first and eventually wee Henny, were going to be surplus to requirements. The signing of Tommy McLean eventually taking its toll on WH's Ibrox career.

Wee Willie Wonderful, my old man called him.

My dad worked with a friend of Willie and asked if he would pass on my new autograph book for Willie to sign. A few weeks went by and no sign of it, then the friend explained that Willie had lost it, then he produced another one twice the size, which Willie had bought me and had signed by the complete Rangers and Scotland squads of the time. Given this was 1964 or 1965 there were some big names in that book.
I’ve seen him a couple of times but never had the nerve to approach him and belatedly thank him, I somehow doubt if he would remember.

This does not surprise me at all.
Over the last 15/20 years we when I see a badly dressed player being interviewed I always think no if you're representing then dress up.
On a small scale when BBC scotland started the nine programme, I thought you're given me news, wear a freaking tie and not jeans.
I've never watched it. For other reasons of course.

Before the Gornick game at Ibrox in 1969, which would end up with Davie White being sacked, both the wee man and Baxter went awol from training.

It was seen in some quarters that White showed weakness in still picking them for the match.

This prompted an article by Waddell, titled 'The Boy David' and many still think this hatchet job on White prompted his sacking.

Remember also Waddell was old school, having played all his career under Bill Struth. So basically Baxter first and eventually wee Henny, were going to be surplus to requirements. The signing of Tommy McLean eventually taking its toll on WH's Ibrox career.
Thank you, I assume I will have it documented in a book somewhere. I had clips of the gornik game on DVD when I was younger, lubanski was a phenomenal player.

Willie Henderson was my first and greatest hero.
I can remember my first Rangers top with two strips of white cloth sewn on the back to make the No.7.
I felt 4ft tall,which I was!
I still believe him to be the best right winger we've had. That opinion is based on what I saw, read and heard first hand from people who knew a player when they saw one.
Willie's departure from Ibrox was as brutal as it was unnecessary, a not uncommon occurrence under Willie Waddell. He was past his best when he left,some would say he was past his best by the time he was 21 years of age and they'd probably be correct, but the Henderson of the mid to late 60's was still a world class player.
I loved him then and I love him now. He knows what's required of a Ranger on and off the park.

Willie Henderson was, and remains,a truly great Ranger.

A true gentleman and a great ambassador to Rangers is Wullie Henderson.

The wife and I were in the Thornton suite before a game and Wullie came over to chat and my wife mentioned to him that he was her mums favourite player, so Wullie asked for the mother in laws address (I thought he was looking for a date). Low and behold the next week the mother in law received in the post his DVD with personal message and autograph.

Pure class.

Willie was not sartorial elegance this morning. He was walking along the Union Canal with a hat that would have been more suited to a bank robber. It was after he passed me that I recognised him. As usual, he was a gentleman - a true Ranger. He explained that he is in training for a trip to the Himalayas. The hat was to acclimatise to the heat. I was melting with shorts and T-shirt. He probably has lost three stones.
I will now donate to his good charitable cause. Please do likewise, fellow bears.
I just regret not having a photo to confirm what I hope is a cool story.
We truly are the people and ex players like Willie Henderson make me feel very honoured and proud to be a True Blue.

Back