Weird little scenario in our Europa League group

Barker96

Being doing a bit of research and have come across a potential scenario that could occur in our Europa League group - if both games on match day 5 end in a draw, the team in 2nd place (us) will have qualified for the next round before the team in 1st place (Young Boys) who would still have work to do in the last match to guarantee qualification.

Anyone ever noticed anything like this happening before? Must be about one in a hundred chance.

Am I right in thinking that we'd all be on 8 points if Feyenoord and Porto win the next games and both games end in a draw on the last day?

And that we'd be out in that scenario too?

If we all draw match day 5 then no matter what happens on match day 6, us beaten and Feyenoord or Porto win we have better head to head against the pair of them so would be through.

I sat down for 20 mins and went through about 30 different outcomes that I could see and it's all 50/50 apart from the all draw match day 5

Last edited:

If we win in Feyenoord but lose at home to YB, while Porto win both their remaining matches all 3 teams would be level on points.

In that case the 3 way head to head comes into effect.

We'd have taken 4 points from both of those teams, YB would have taken 6, and Porto 7, meaning we are eliminated.

We would be in a 'false' 2nd place though. Only 2nd because of our 1 game head to head when we hadn't completed the 2nd game

Wire in chaps.

Me? All I'm thinking about is winning league games and stopping 9. The EL and league cup final don't matter a jot. Keep our eye on the prize and that's the league.

Of course they matter, but you are correct when you say the league is priority. I feel the Europa League is a bonus. For me the most important game in December will be the League Cup Final because if we win that then it lays down a massive marker for the rest of the season

Of course they matter, but you are correct when you say the league is priority. I feel the Europa League is a bonus. For me the most important game in December will be the League Cup Final because if we win that then it lays down a massive marker for the rest of the season

Winning breeds confidence. Topping our group would be huge for the remainder of the season.

If we win in Feyenoord but lose at home to YB, while Porto win both their remaining matches all 3 teams would be level on points.

We'd have taken 4 points from both of those teams, YB would have taken 6, and Porto 7, meaning we are eliminated.

Phuck

Winning breeds confidence. Topping our group would be huge for the remainder of the season.

I totally agree. If we win then that is fantastic. But the league is our bread and butter. In my opinion we HAVE to win the league this year. The League Cup Final against the vermin is also a must win game as that puts us in a great position going into the second half of the season. I would love an extended run in Europe, but not at the expense of winning (or a chance) of winning the league

In any scenario we finish level on points with Porto we would eliminate them on head to head surely?

In any scenario we finish level on points with Porto we would eliminate them on head to head surely?

If we both finished top on level points yes.

But if all three teams, us, Porto and Young Boys, finish on the same points (10) then it goes to a mini league head to head.

We would then be eliminated as it's points accumulated and we only have four v Porto. Young Boys would have 6 v us and Porto 7 in total.

Porto win on matchday 5 then we need to take a draw at least in both matchday 5 and 6 to qualify. This would see us through on at least 9 points with either YBs or Porto, depending on the Porto v Feyenoord score.

If Porto do not win in matchday 5, then a draw against Feyenoord is enough to qualify. This confirms both us and YBs qualify.

Wire in chaps.

Me? All I'm thinking about is winning league games and stopping 9. The EL and league cup final don't matter a jot. Keep our eye on the prize and that's the league.
The league cup is massive for us tbh. Puts a trophy in the cabinet and takes a huge monkey off our back which puts us in an even better position especially mentally to push on and win the league

Just love all the mental angst this post is causing - I’d hate to be in your hooses on Xmas eve, wondering what’s under the tree..... looks like a scalectrix, but might be a dartboard, but worse still, it might be one of those shite compendium games:D

No. We could then be on 9 points whilst Porto could be on 10.

Matchday 5 results are crucial.

We would be on at least ten points. Only Feyenoord could pip us on the head to head I think? Maybe it's dependent on the score of the game too.

We would be on at least ten points. Only Feyenoord could pip us on the head to head I think? Maybe it's dependent on the score of the game too.

Sorry you are right. Thinking we are on 6 just now.

If it was 2-1 to us then it would be down to GD, If YBs had beaten Porto. I think if we got a better score than 2-1 then we win H2H.

Back