Weirdly our strikers aren't even on fire yet

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Crap statistic, and random, but I went back to 01/10 and the defeat of Galatasaray. Since then and including that game, we've hit 27 goals and only 7 have been from our strikers.

We don't rely on Alfie or indeed anyone. Except perhaps goal machine Tav!

This is huge part of what we're doing this season: system trumps individuals.

Crap statistic, and random, but I went back to 01/10 and the defeat of Galatasaray. Since then and including that game, we've hit 27 goals and only 7 have been from our strikers.

Absolutely mate, it’s working a treat & hopefully as Roofe, Alfie & Kent adapt to it they begin to hit the high numbers.

Right now they are doing excellently to make space, link up the play & drag defenders in or to create said space for others like Arfield or Aribo to get into.

But Morelos miss placed a pass on 3 (three, FKING THREE) occasions.

Big difference between this season and last.

And it’s not a slight on the strikers. The 11 on the park are just working better as a unit, and it’s allowing those around the striker to get in amongst the goals.

Goals throughout the team is one very big reason why we will win the league.

Sounds nuts, but I don't think we've hit top gear yet, certainly in the league games. Even the bheasts and the sheep were shootie in. We'll be licking our lips when the throttle goes up. Oddly, the Hamilton game was maybe as close as we got, relentless that day for the full game. Should have been a similar scoreline today, which would have been utterly delicious.

scary indeed

what’s it since season start?

That was the first time that front 3 had played together. If it clicks, and I honestly believe it will, we will see many a team given a tanking.

Its incredible that we continue to impress whilst Alfredo continues his barren spell(SPFL)
However, that alone is testament to the tactically shape that Gerrard and Beale has implemented, that in many ways is ensuring that we cant be reliiant on one guy continuously pulling us out of a goalscoring hole.

Tactically im comfortable with Alfredo at the mo, however im slightly concerned, that he seems to be somewhat allergic to the penalty box at this moment in time.

Could not see what he contributed today. He was my only pick to get subbed at half time today. We have a centre forward that is the poorest player in the team which we think can win 5-0 every game

I think we are attacking more as a team this season, hence the goals being shared. A change to afford recognized strikers more opportunity might be end up being counter productive.

I would agree though we still have to see the best of Alfie and Itten, Although both have still done a great job in opening up space for others, I think we could see both hit a hot streak.

Our striker is really a false 9 now in the same mould as Firmino at Liverpool. He doesnt score many either but is vital to the team.
It's a major plus how we've managed to shift the emphasis away from Morelos, however this has worked against his influence on the side. Frankly I don't think he's a polished enough player to be considered an automatic pick in this ''re jigged'' set up. The major down turn in his goals return further illustrates this.

What do we think will happen with Morelos?

Are his seasons going to be reversed and he comes out scoring all sorts post ny?

Do we sell him in January?

Do we keep him as is? A lot of his value obviously comes from the fact he scored a ridiculous amount of goals. No matter how integral to our play he might be now with almost no goals his value will without a doubt plummet

Sounds nuts, but I don't think we've hit top gear yet, certainly in the league games. Even the bheasts and the sheep were shootie in. We'll be licking our lips when the throttle goes up. Oddly, the Hamilton game was maybe as close as we got, relentless that day for the full game. Should have been a similar scoreline today, which would have been utterly delicious.
Maybe we don’t have to be, I can’t honestly say Celtic were for the past 2 seasons, but they were relentless in terms of winning.

What do we think will happen with Morelos?

Are his seasons going to be reversed and he comes out scoring all sorts post ny?

Do we sell him in January?

Do we keep him as is? A lot of his value obviously comes from the fact he scored a ridiculous amount of goals. No matter how integral to our play he might be now with almost no goals his value will without a doubt plummet

Unless he starts getting regular goals his value won’t just plummet, there won’t be any bidders. I watched him today and for me he was dropping too deep too often. Also on 2 occasions when he dropped deep he gave the ball away with 2 pretty dreadful passes one of which the sheep almost scored With.

Unless he starts getting regular goals his value won’t just plummet, there won’t be any bidders. I watched him today and for me he was dropping too deep too often. Also on 2 occasions when he dropped deep he gave the ball away with 2 pretty dreadful passes one of which the sheep almost scored With.
Exactly. If he had Kent’s creativity and style but wasn’t scoring, there would be plenty of bidders. But if he continues as he is, interest in Morelos will disappear. Given he plays in Scotland, less than 20 goals in all competitions would look poor. I suspect he will hit that many at least though.

Think it McCann who mentioned about Morelos on RTV, but he referred to him actually maturing as a player on his overall game, and that Gerrard was specifically playing him in a further back role.

It'd be an interesting question for Gerrard to be asked though, if that is indeed the case. He's obviously doing enough in the managers eyes for certain for continued game time.

He is clearly being instructed to come deep.

And the media said we were a one man team with Morelos last year and then Kent at the start of this year. What a team.

So how would we define Alfie's role in the team this season, and should we be expecting more goals?

Certainly a question I'd like to ask SG as well as other posters.

Hope Alfie has a solid end to the season. Last two seasons he's been unstoppable up until January and then it's petered out due suspensions or injuries. Here's hoping he does it in reverse this time, patchy first half of the season and then romp to 20+ goals at the business end of the season.

Probably sounds fanciful but I'm hoping that's how it pans out.

I think that for much of yesterday we were seldom out of 2nd gear. But only because we didn't need to be.

Think it McCann who mentioned about Morelos on RTV, but he referred to him actually maturing as a player on his overall game, and that Gerrard was specifically playing him in a further back role.

It'd be an interesting question for Gerrard to be asked though, if that is indeed the case. He's obviously doing enough in the managers eyes for certain for continued game time.
I think McCann is right here. It might not seem much of a change but Morelos is now moving the centre backs up and down the pitch, not just left and right. It creates much more dangerous attacking space.

His confidence and goals will return but if we keep winning and he keeps improving while that happens, everybody benefits.

You could also look at it that he is developing another part of his game, everyone knows he can play as the unstoppable battling lone striker, but now he can also fit into a mobile front three unit with clever interplay. He is only adding value in my opinion.

It's a major plus how we've managed to shift the emphasis away from Morelos, however this has worked against his influence on the side. Frankly I don't think he's a polished enough player to be considered an automatic pick in this ''re jigged'' set up. The major down turn in his goals return further illustrates this.

Agreed. Think the jury is out on whether he is technically good enough to play in this new position purely because of his questionable passing and first touch at times which can be inconsistent and erratic to say the least.

You could also look at it that he is developing another part of his game, everyone knows he can play as the unstoppable battling lone striker, but now he can also fit into a mobile front three unit with clever interplay. He is only adding value in my opinion.

I get that but most teams buying a striker for big money will look at the goal return.

Last season his goal return was superb, especially in the Europa group stages plus his performances were just as good as his goal return.

His form in the Europa is what enabled us to put such a big price on him and reject 16m from Lille.

A Morelos without that kind of goal return won’t attract another 16m bid IMO hence why I hope he gets back to getting into the box and taking the chances that come his way more

Aribo & Roofe are only just match fit & they are two massive parts of our offensive game.

I expect us to improve from here, not deteriorate.

Reckon it's a bit of both, Strikers not on full flow yet but also they are being asked to play a different role which I feel Alfie is still trying to adapt to.

What’s brilliant about our system is we can afford to lose Alfie or sell him and the team is not affected as much as it used to be

Totally agree with that and said similar in a post yesterday.

They look to be rebuilding his game, he is not playing anything like the role he has played earlier in his Rangers career.

If he can add goals, i think he will once he gets into this new game plan, we will have some player on our hands.

Personally not worried in the slightest about Alfie. Think his all round game has came on leaps and bounds and if he can keep the heed and continue to learn this role the goals will come back for him.

Loved his attitude when he was pulled yesterday, throwing the gloves off and stomping away in the huff. He was raging! how it should be when you haven't scored and get hooked.

A strange stat that just shows what this group are all about . We keep it up we are champions that’s the reality .Long May it continue

The role Morelos is being asked to play is new to him, he’s played lone striker since he arrived. Now he’s coming deeper to break the defensive lines of our opponents who follow him out. It’s working, it depends on who our opponents are.
This shows that our management team are also adapting.

Now I’m not going to compare players, Kane at Spurs has played this role a couple of games recently, it’s very effective.

These changes during matches keep our opponents guessing on how to line up against us, leaving spaces either in the middle or out wide.
Long may it continue.

Without making a big song and dance about it I think we've chucked the traditional 9. With our movement and variety of delivery into the box we can have so many players working their way into the area and getting on the end of things.

Its weird seeing morelos and defoe dropping back so far but it shouldn't be going by our results.

That's the main difference between this season and last. Our season fell apart last year when Alfie's goals dried up. This year we don't have that reliance on one player.

We were ridiculously reliant on Morelos the previous two seasons, and for the other teams it was always a case of snuff him out, wind him up etc and they stop us.

We now have at least another four or five players in the squad who are contributing more in terms of goals and assists, who will easily hit double figures for the season.

As for the strikers, the way we are playing & if we can keep it going, I still reckon Morelos (if he stays the season) will hit 20 plus, as will Roofe.

So our management team have developed a system that has us playing out of our boots, and scoring for fun whilst leading the league by a good margin, unbeaten in 23 games, no goals conceded at home, but some people just want to say how poor Morelos has been? :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree with this

Back