Welcome to Rangers - Nicolas Raskin

liked his honesty, refreshing to see, comes across as a 21yo who loves playing football. over the moon on the two main reasons he picked us, MB and our passion, I think that's fantastic.
also says he loves playing with emotion, if he does the business with us, we'll make him feel like superman
I predict now, he will thrive with us, player and club looks a perfect fit

Great addition. Quality over quantity this window.
Exactly.
And so much better than 1 year ago (Ramsey & Diallo)

We have a game a week for most of this season remaining ~ anyone else wish right now it was a game every day?
Can’t wait to see this team evolve …

Someone in the transfer thread said Raskin can't speak a word of English. Why bother even making that up?!

DA1-E02-EF-97-F3-4-FB1-8208-AEC6-B7-D59209.gif

Tonight is far too soon but would expect him to get 60 minutes at the weekend in similar fashion to Cantwell last week.
Can't agree. Understand he's not played competitive football for a couple of months but at 21 years old he'll be carrying as much natural fitness as he's ever likely to. Certainly enough not to be blowing out his arse v hearts.

As with Cantwell I'd be tempted to throw him straight in at some point. Big game, big crowd, this strikes me as someone who's eager to get going so let's see what he's got about him.

Can't agree. Understand he's not played competitive football for a couple of months but at 21 years old he'll be carrying as much natural fitness as he's ever likely to. Certainly enough not to be blowing out his arse v hearts.

As with Cantwell I'd be tempted to throw him straight in at some point. Big game, big crowd, this strikes me as someone who's eager to get going so let's see what he's got about him.
Needs a work permit. Tonight is unlikely.

Work Permit required mate.

Saturday looks realistic.

More from a work permit POV than a fitness one.

Exactly.
And so much better than 1 year ago (Ramsey & Diallo)

We have a game a week for most of this season remaining ~ anyone else wish right now it was a game every day?
Can’t wait to see this team evolve …
I remember feeling really positive after last Jan, never worked out at all. Ashame really as I do think Diallo has something about him

Says he enjoys playing under pressure and at 21 won't be too unfit, if not match fit. Get him involved tonight and start him on Saturday.
He needs a work permit before he can train/play. Will be a formality but can't be involved until it's in place.

‘We’re your biggest fans, we’ll follow you to where you’re asking,
Nico, Nico Raskin!’

Too soon?

Nico Raskin gets Rangers Barry Ferguson comparison as Thomas Buffel talks up Michael Beale's new Red Devil​

Buffel seens plenty in Raskin that reminds him of his old Ibrox skipper as he backs him to be a success in Glasgow.

Thomas Buffel doesn’t make the comparison lightly.

But the Ibrox legend reckons he has every justification when he tells Rangers boss Michael Beale that in Nico Raskin, he’s just landed the new Barry Ferguson. The former Gers playmaker speaks as someone who’s had the privilege of working with both men at close quarters. He stood shoulder to shoulder with Ferguson at the heart of the Rangers midfield on 59 occasions during his time in Glasgow.

It was a partnership which helped deliver the club’s most famous of title wins on Helicopter Sunday and allowed Buffel an insight into the ex-skipper’s mix of steeliness and style. Since retiring, Buffel has been able to form just as close a bond with Beale’s latest Ibrox recruit through his current role assisting Belgium Under-21 boss Jacky Mathijssen. He knows likening Raskin to one of the club’s all-time greats poses the risk of heaping unwanted pressure on the young man’s shoulders.

But from what he’s seen, that similarities are just all too obvious. Speaking exclusively to Record Sport, the 41-year-old said: “If I had to chose one player who Nico reminds me of, it would be Barry Ferguson

“It’s difficult to say this because I know what Barry means to Rangers and I don’t want to put too much pressure on Nico. But as a midfielder he has has the same football qualities as Barry.

“There’s the determination and the physical qualities too, the desire to put up the sleeves and say, ‘Come on, let’s fight for the win’. And he can go forward and score goals, which Barry could do also.

“If you want him to play as a sitting No.6 he can do that but there’s a lot more to his game if you allow Nico the freedom. Rangers are getting a very exciting player and I’m sure he will do well."

Gers have pulled off a major coup in their £1.75million swoop for the deep-lying midfield dictator. They were made to sweat by Standard Liege as rival suitors - including Napoli, Feyenoord and Stuttgart - circled before finally getting the deadline day deal done yesterday afternoon

But Buffel explained Rangers are getting a player who will ask just as many questions of Beale as the new boss will do of his new playmaker. He said: “Nico is a player who has many positive attributes.

“He has good technical abilities. If you give him the ball he will protect it well.

“If you play him as a No.8, he can infiltrate the final third. OK, one v one dribbling may not be his main thing but he can do that.

“He has a good shot on him too. But this is a young player who can be physical and aggressive when needed. He’s not the tallest but he can handle himself which will be important in Scottish football.

“The only thing I’d say he needs to work on having watched him progress from the Belgian Under-18s to the 21s and then with Standard is that he needs to concentrate on carrying out the task asked of him by the coach and not doing too much of what he thinks he can do.

“Sometimes, he maybe wants to do too much. I don’t know Michael Beale personally or what his coaching style is but all I’d say is that Nico is a player who likes to know why he’s being asked to do a certain thing.

“Sometimes coaches prefer it if young players listen and learn but as far as I see it, players who ask questions are players who want to move forward and become winners. That is Nico. He’s always looking to progress.”

The Ibrox support will be hoping for a first glimpse of their new star when Beale takes his side to Tynecastle for tonight’s third-v-second clash with Hearts. But given Raskin has not kicked a first-team ball for two-and-a-half months after being jettisoned from Liege boss Ronny Deila’s squad amid a contract row, it seems the best the Bluenoses heading to Gorgie can hope for will be an appearance off the bench.

But Buffel is in no doubt the 21-year-old will be just as keen to introduce himself to his new fanbase.

He said: “He’s played at Ibrox before with Standard Liege in the Europa League but that was during Covid when the place was empty. But even empty, it’s a magical place.

“He’ll be looking forward to seeing it full but I have no doubt he can handle living in Glasgow. Nico comes from Standard Liege, which also has a nice stadium where the supporters are very emotional.

“That will be an asset for him. He’s used to playing for a very demanding crowd so that’s should allow him to settle at Ibrox quickly.”

Mathijssen used these pages last week to warn Raskin that his place in the Belgian squad for this summer’s Under-21 Euros would be at risk if his Liege limbo was allowed to rumble on. But Buffel now reckons his Light Blues move can help the youngster make the grade in the Red Devils’ senior squad.

He said: “If Nico needs advice he knows how to reach me. But I think he’s made a good choice for his career and it’s good for us in the national team set-up too.

“We have a big tournament coming up in the summer with the Under-21 European Championships. If we go far enough there’s maybe the Olympics too in 2024.

“These are important tournaments from our perspective so it’s good that Nico is at a club where he can develop and test himself. Nico has been involved in the senior squad before and I know he’ll now be looking to get back there so hopefully Rangers can provide him with that platform.”

Last edited:
I like the comment he made about watching the European final and about the old firm matches.

Would he have signed if we hadn't reached the final? Who knows but certainly sounds like it helped.

I just watched his interview at HT, I think he’s up for it and I like this kid, something tells me deep down he’ll be something special.

Back