We'll be through next week if...

To be fair.

If we choke and lose to Liege they have already qualified (likely) Benfica in the last match.

Thread is incorrect. If you add we dont lose to Liege the second one its alright.

Reactions: TN8
To be fair.

If we choke and lose to Liege they have already qualified (likely) Benfica in the last match.

Thread is incorrect. If you add we dont lose to the second one its alright.
Sorry mate I missed a bit - fixed it now!

If we lose to Liege all bets are off.

I'm more worried about winning the group TBF. For either of the bottom 2 to qualify, they need to beat us and Benfica, and still might not qualify, based on another result. Not impossible, but extremely unlikely

Is anybody expecting us to lose at home to liege ? Pointless thread imo. I suspect the bookies will have us odds on.

a) we beat Liege

OR

b) we draw and Poznan DON'T beat Benfica in Lisbon

Just to clear up any confusion.
Nah. What if it’s a draw in Benfica and we lose to Liege that would leave Benfica on 9 and us on 8, Liege on 6 and Poznań on 4 going into the final games. Liege then beat Benfica and we lose to Poznań and we are out.

a) we beat Liege

OR

b) we draw and Poznan DON'T beat Benfica in Lisbon

Just to clear up any confusion.
Everyone seems happy that liege won tonight BUT if the worst happens next week and we lose to liege , and Poznań as expected lose in Benfica , had tonight’s game ended a draw between liege and Poznań we would still go through next week . Now it’s more up in the air

Nah. What if it’s a draw in Benfica and we lose to Liege that would leave Benfica on 9 and us on 8, Liege on 6 and Poznań on 4 going into the final games. Liege then beat Benfica and we lose to Poznań and we are out.
OP doesn't say we're through if we lose mate. Those are the 2 scenarios that take us through on the night. If Liege beat us all bets are indeed off!

Why are folk making up different scenarios to try say OP is wrong?

edit: just realised op edited it

What does winning the group mean for the last 32? Does the winner avoid CL drop outs?
Not exactly , the 8 teams dropping out of the champions league 4 get seeded and the 4 aren’t seeded. Winners of the Europa league group stages are seeded , runners up aren’t. So still a chance we could get one if we win the group though unlikely 1 in 4 odds if my maths are right.

the only bad result next week would be a leige win as that would mean we would need a result in Poznan to ensure we go through.

Can’t see either of those teams getting the 6 points they require to overtake us, even if one of them does we’ll take a win off the other one of them.

Financially winning the group is worth £500,000 more than qualifying 2nd and also potentially an easier draw in the round of 32.

We have it in our own hands to win both games then it does not matter what Benfica do.

Would also like to see us too the group as it gives me and hopefully the players a lot more encouragement going into next years Chanpions league qualifiers cause it’ll no doubt be hard to get there. But if we get to the last 32/16 of the europa league for two years in a row then I can see us getting to the champions league a lot easier

Is anybody expecting us to lose at home to liege ? Pointless thread imo. I suspect the bookies will have us odds on.
Thread's purely about what needs to happen for us to qualify next week as there's been a bit of confusion - not helped by the arsehole Rob McLean getting it wrong repeatedly in commentary.

Also, anything can happen at this level, none of the games have been easy.

It's quite common for us to get off to a good start in the groups then tail off a wee bit. No guarantees here at all.

Best scenario:
We win next week, Poznań beat Benfica - we’re through as group winners with one game to spare.

(Only Benfica could mathematically catch us on points, but we have a better head to head)

Twice we have been in a position of qualifying and blew it, we are not through on ifs and buts we have to learn to hold on to leads in games.
Quite a negative way to look at it. We've not "blew" anything, we've got ourselves into a really good position.

Twice we have been in a position of qualifying and blew it, we are not through on ifs and buts we have to learn to hold on to leads in games.

To be fair, Benfica are a top quality side and would have been expecting to beat us at least once.

I think it's a bit harsh on our lads to say that we "blew it".
We have the better head to head with Benfica so we are in a good place to top the group.
(Being first in the group increases the chances of an easier last 16 tie but no guarantees)

As it stands for either of Liege and Poznan to go through they would need to beat both us and Benfica. Any dropped points for those two puts them out. Liege would also need to beat us by at least 2 goals.

We win next week then we go through.
We draw and Poznan fail to win then we go through.
We draw and Poznan beat Benfica then we go to the final match.
We lose and we go to the final match.

Let's see where we are at next Friday.
Most likely 1st and 2nd in the group will be decided on Matchday 6.

Things looking good at the moment. Let's enjoy this.

Back