Well Souttar proved today he could be a great signing for us.

The Goal Machine

Thought he was the best Hearts player on the park. His injury record is the one worry but he gave Hearts his all, a proper professional performance, well done to him.

Every game I saw him playing for Hearts on TV, especially in a 2-1 defeat against Celtic, I thought he would be an excellent signing, on the evidence of today he will be.

Thoughts ?

Being brutal I was stood thinking this guys a chunkier Edmundson.

Lets wait and see. The change to all Scottish players both physically and mentally when they arrive is massive.
I think that’s a wee bit harsh - he looked strong, and was largely dominant aerially. Of course, he’s in a losing team that conceded twice, but he looked the type that might thrive with Tav etc.

He was solid / looked good today , although to play devils advocate, he was up against Aribo in unfamiliar position

Let’s hope he turns out to be as reliable as Alan mclaren was for us

Reckon he'll drop a stone in pre-season and become a mainstay in our defence.
Pre season may be the key. I always remember Scott Wright saying how much his fitness and body shape changed when he moved to us. Souttar looks a good football player, let's give him the chance to progress with us, I think he'll be a good addition to the squad.

Thought he was the best Hearts player on the park. His injury record is the one worry but he gave Hearts his all, a proper professional performance, well done to him.

Every game I saw him playing for Hearts on TV, especially in a 2-1 defeat against Celtic, I thought he would be an excellent signing, on the evidence of today he will be.

Thoughts ?
Before I had my ST id get along to a few hertz games and 3/4 years ago thought he was at a good level.
He was excellent today while just back from (another) injury and kept the score down.
He will not be as busy most games for us and his abllity to pick the ball up and move forward will be invaluable.

He played well today and we will probably need his physical presence against the hammer thrower of the SPFL. He has a good burst of pace when driving forward and looked decent on the ball too.

I genuinely think he will be a good signing for us. He will develop better at Rangers with better players around him as well as a better staff to train and develop him.

I would very much like to see a King/Souttar partnership at CB within the next year.

Different story if he actually has a centre forward to play against.........
He’s actually fine unless it’s a long ball over the top and the attacker has stolen a yard with their run. I’m sure with the clearly superior conditioning regime at Rangers this is something that can be worked on in relatively short time as he has all the technical fundamentals in place.

Comes in to replace balogun or helander

Can't be a first choice when we play so many games a season

His credentials when asked to defend are not in question, im just not sure what he's like with a lot of the ball,can he ping a pass or does he play it simple?
He keeps his passes simple but likes to bring the ball into space if he can find it, he will dribble 20-30 yards and try to find the player out wide. He won’t play Goldson 60 yard balls.

100% fact. What makes you believe that all.of a sudden he won't be out injured. Its hilarious that people do not understand his fitness issue..he cannot play twice a week and train. He struggles playing once a week. That is also 100% True. He looked out on his feet after 60 mins

He’s actually fine unless it’s a long ball over the top and the attacker has stolen a yard with their run. I’m sure with the clearly superior conditioning regime at Rangers this is something that can be worked on in relatively short time as he has all the technical fundamentals in place.
I guess what I am saying is that he wasn't up against a striker today so wasn't particularly challenged on that front.

Hopefully he will improve coming to us but I can't say I'm overly excited, especially with his likely injury situation.

Hope he proves me completely wrong.

Let’s see if he manages over 15 games a season first

Ability is fine - but he’s made of glass
He will spend less time doing defending than with hertz and more time building from the back and he's a good enough footballer to do that.

We have virtually never had a signing that was universally popular especially from another SPFL MOB.
But lets at least give the guy a chance FFS

Honestly thought he looked like any SPL CB, could have been the CB for the sheep, Hibs or Hearts, just all basically the same player.

If we had a fully fit backline, he's behind Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Bassey.

Minutes wise, Souttar managed slightly more minutes played than Balogun did this season (and half as many as Goldson did this season)

If he's a starting CB next season then we've gone backwards.

(And that's without mentioning his injury problems)

Last edited:
100% fact. What makes you believe that all.of a sudden he won't be out injured. Its hilarious that people do not understand his fitness issue..he cannot play twice a week and train. He struggles playing once a week. That is also 100% True. He looked out on his feet after 60 mins
Played 32 of Hearts 47 games this season.

Today was his first start in 10 or so weeks, it’s not surprising he was looking leggy.

Really looking forward to having him next season.

I guess what I am saying is that he wasn't up against a striker today so wasn't particularly challenged on that front.

Hopefully he will improve coming to us but I can't say I'm overly excited, especially with his likely injury situation.

Hope he proves me completely wrong.
Thanks for clarifying what you meant mate, I can agree with that at least. I hope he stays fit would be good to see him prove himself.

Solid in the air, strong in the tackle, decent distribution and comfortable dribbling the ball out of defence. Potentily a good signing on a free.

He looks ideal for the domestic games; I was impressed today. It'll be interesting to see if he can make the step up in Europe.

I thought he looked very decent today.
Yes not up against a recognised striker.

Where I am more hopeful is the determination that the lad has, to have came through his serious injuries and earned a move to Rangers.
Is exactly what will be required to become a Ranger that will take us forward

I think it is a good signing, in particular it fits in well with our European demands.... as he is Scottish is classed as home grown so will assist with team registrations (FM taught me well )

Back