Welsh officials, 1st we’ve had in a UEFA match from a home nation I believe.

Blueknows

I notice that the officials today are Welsh. As far as I can recall this is the first occasion we have had officials from a home nation for a UEFA competition match. Can anyone confirm whether I am correct?
Also, I have long wondered why we never had home nations officials but haven’t been able to find anything on UEFA website/s that would explain this anomaly. Anyone know if there was a protocol that home nations officials didn’t officiate at other home nations teams matches and, if so, has it been changed? It would be interesting to have a top EPL referee in charge of one of our games at some point, for example.

Howard King from Wales was ref for Rangers vs Valletta in 1990
Thanks for that . Wasn’t aware of that. Still, 30 years since the last one and possibly only one. Can’t be appointed at random I fancy. Still as anothe4 poster said we were all British today.

Is this due to Gibraltar and Britain having UK passports? Usually English can’t officiate a Scottish game for that reason.

They were shite.

To be honest I thought it might have been a rule that referees from home nations couldn’t officiate home nation teams in UEFA competitions due to potential bias.

It’s certainly not commonplace and by law of averages we should have had a fair few over the years so it must come into it.

Thought the Welsh ref tonight was a sheep shagging wanker

Let the Red Gimps away with too many tackles that should have been yellow cards and gave the smaller club a sympathy vote IMO

Bobby Madden mentioned on Open Goal that Scottish refs aren't allowed to ref English teams in Europe.

Only fitting to get the Welsh involved . Made it another resounding victory for Britain in Gibraltar :)):)) UEFA obviously aware and supportive of ....... The Establishment;)

Pretty sure the English ref Arthur Ellis was involved in one of our very first European games. Blew the final whistle too early and some players had to get out the bath to finish the game. Did he not go on to become involved in It’s a Knockout on BBC?

Pretty sure the English ref Arthur Ellis was involved in one of our very first European games. Blew the final whistle too early and some players had to get out the bath to finish the game. Did he not go on to become involved in It’s a Knockout on BBC?
He was, the first ever tie that I mentioned above.

there was one incident in the 1st half where Hagi beat the player, he grabbed Hagis shirt and pulled him down
no foul given
Hagi got up and cleanly won the ball - foul

was almost Scottish ref-esque

Do you know if that is written down anywhere? I haven’t been able to find anything online.

I just remembering him mentioning it during the interview. He said he was gutted he couldn't ref in some of the big English stadiums. It seems odd, perhaps it's just an unwritten rule.

He also mentioned that he couldn't transfer to England and just referee in the EPL or Championship, he'd need to start right at the bottom again. That's probably where most of the Scottish refs belong though

Back