We're Rangers, no-one likes us; we don't care

gers1978

When Souness said this in an interview was he quoting the song, or did the song come about because Souness said this in an interview?

I thought we copied it from millwall (the song) but was before my time. Cant remember exactly what Souness said in interview but he definitely did do one where he said something along those lines.
He said, word-for-word, exactly the subject line of my post

If it's the interview I'm thinking of he actually pre-fixes the line from the song with 'The Rangers fans have a song that goes....' or something along those lines.

To answer your question, the song already existed. I've seen it claimed Millwall had their version first but, no idea how accurate that is.
It was Millwall. I used to follow them back in the mid 80's and they were singing it then. Used to love the Den, cracking atmosphere there.

When Souness said this in an interview was he quoting the song, or did the song come about because Souness said this in an interview?
He was quoting the song.
He said "there's a line in a song Rangers supporters sing, no one likes us we don't care"

A brilliant song and while I love the original it’s had it’s time
It’s needing new words

We are Rangers, Super Rangers
No one likes us, we don’t care
We hate Celtic, rebel Bastards
And we’ll chase them everywhere

From memory, after the 1980 cup final, we started singing "we chased you all over Hampden" and shortly after that (early to mid 80's) "We are Rangers, Super Rangers" followed.

Millwall definitely had their version around the same time and I believe, although I could be wrong, that they were singing it even before then.

So we may not have sang it before Millwall but definitely did before Souness used the line.

I've only been going to Millwall since 1990 buy my mates are pretty sure it was first sang around 76 ish

It was defo a Millwall song, they were the most feared and hated team in London in the 70’s and 80’s. No one liked going to the Den.

A brilliant song and while I love the original it’s had it’s time
It’s needing new words

We are Rangers, Super Rangers
No one likes us, we don’t care
We hate Celtic, smelly Bastards
And we’ll chase them everywhere
I’ve got a “cleaner” version.

Carlisle Utd had a version also in the 80’s aswell as one of my favourite little chants

“Get into them, Fook Them Up, Get into them, Fook them up”

Tin hat on….
It’s a horrible slogan that suggests we’ll never be a political force in the SPFL or SFA
Agreed. Never a great song to begin with and should be well in the bin by now.

100,000 of our fans went to Seville had a party and came back without one single arrest.

People do like us. Millions of people.

If it's the interview I'm thinking of he actually pre-fixes the line from the song with 'The Rangers fans have a song that goes....' or something along those lines.

To answer your question, the song already existed. I've seen it claimed Millwall had their version first but, no idea how accurate that is.
I went to an FA cup match in the early 80s at the Den and they were singing it then.
‘We are Millwall, super Millwall. No one likes us. We don’t care. We are Millwall super Millwall. We will fight you anywhere.’

Prior to Souness we weren’t exactly Super Rangers so even if the song existed it was rarely sang. Great song for us late eighties, early ninties.
…but origionally a Millwall song I do believe.

Back